Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #1

TT250 chain rubbing on rubber

I noticed this the other day. I've got about 250mi on it so far. The chain is rubbing on the rubber connected to the swing arm. I just adjusted it, as it was a tad loose (about 1.5" instead of 3/5"), but it still didn't solve the problem. What do you guys think? You can see it almost appears as if the swing arm was angled too far down, causing it to hang on the high point, but I know nothing.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:55 AM   #2

Does it do it while you're sitting on it?

Everything about the chain changes when the rear shock compresses.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:00 AM   #3

I thought of that, but I didn't actually have someone else sit on it to check and will do that tomorrow. I found it when I started to notice an ever-so-slight burning rubber smell when I was sitting at stop lights. And it does appear like that rubber strip is just a little bit melted where the chain is so I've assumed it is rubbing while riding.

Rubbing While Riding. Good album title.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #4

Mine does the same and is grossly misaligned. It might even be wearing the chain by side-loading it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220402_104248.jpg (114.6 KB, 108 views)

Old 04-02-2022, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
I thought of that, but I didn't actually have someone else sit on it to check and will do that tomorrow. I found it when I started to notice an ever-so-slight burning rubber smell when I was sitting at stop lights. And it does appear like that rubber strip is just a little bit melted where the chain is so I've assumed it is rubbing while riding.

Rubbing While Riding. Good album title.
When you have them sit on it double check that chain tension. The 3/5" measurement is with the rear suspension compressed to where the chain is at the tightest point in the arc of travel. The suspension geometry on these bikes, all styles of them, is a bit off, so the chain gets tighter as the swing arm travels up. That 3/5" at the tightest point of travel is over an inch of play with the suspension fully drooped.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #6

It does fully clear it when it's compressed, so looks good there. Ahh so I misunderstood about checking the 3/5", I thought it was when it was uncompressed. So mine actually might be quite tight right now, when it's sat on.

I checked my alignment of the chain, definitely looks like yours is off compared to how this looks.

Yes, it needs a good cleaning.