Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Is the lfgy-5 light kit different from the lfgy-6 light kit?

Hey all, I've been waiting a while for a light kit to come in for my lfgy-6 so I can get it on the road. My dealer says they are on back order but there is a light kit for a lfgy-5. Does anyone know if I can mount the gy-5 lights and full street kit on my gy-6 or are they completely different? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #2

You should be able to do it for the signals, and likely the headlight, but the tail light most likely won't fit...

Also the headlight will need some creativity in your mounting...

Overall the gy6 lighting is better and if you can I would wait for it... One problem I had with my gy6 lights is the headlight bulb was not held in well and rattled out of the socket a few times, I ended up hot gluing it in and it has been good since...

here is the gy6 headlight:

[img]gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7250& g2_serialNumber=1[/img]

You don't see it too well, but the bottom is held on with that black bracket, the 5 has a completely different mount point on the bottom... The sides should work, as long as they are spaced the same, I would have to go out and measure to be sure, but I would get the kit for the gy6..

[img]gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4360& g2_serialNumber=2[/img]

On the 5 the headlight fairing plastic is not as flexible either... You can see how different the signal lights are, though I don't think they would cause as much trouble as the headlight, and again I think you'd be out of luck for the taillight.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #3

Thanks for all the info. I think i'll wait for the proper kit. Until then, its hitting the trails.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #4

Who did you buy your bike from? There may be other people with the light kit though I'm not certain... I think X-rage sells a re badged version of the gy6, but I'm not sure if they have the light kits?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #5

Jim,
It looks like you could just move your turn signals from the top of the tree mount to the bottom? I had to fab mounts for my 06, I also got rid of the stockers for some brighter ones..

Old 06-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #6

Yeah you could, like I said, the signals would be the easy part... The tricky part is the headlight fairing, and the feat of magic would be the tail light... :P

It could be done, but it wouldn't be pretty, or overly easy...

Edit:

Oh I see your comment was somewhat unrelated, yeah I suppose I could put them down there... You don't like em up top? They were sort of aiming in the air when I took that picture but I bent them to point straight ahead... I never really thought of putting them on the bottom, I just sort of put them there... The bracket for the left signal holds the choke, but I could mount it separate...