Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #1

Airbox modify or?

Hi just wondering why many of us modify the airbox instead of just delete and add filter? Just wondering if theres a reason why?!

Old 03-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #2

Airbox is better at keeping out moisture/rain. It is usually a little quieter as well. A good pod filter can offer the least resistance to air flow, which might have a slight improvement on horsepower, but probably only significant if you also reduce exhaust side back pressure and port the head. You can get a decent flat mount filter for the airbox. Whatever you go with, proper jetting is really crucial to optimum performance, and if it is jet wrong, any of those modifications won't help!

Old 03-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #3

So true Thumper, i just use stock air box. it works for me,but they are not cheap. anybody know where the best place to buy from. thanks

Old 03-16-2022, 10:15 PM   #4

I plan to run stock for a while. I don;t see the 2021 TBR7 box as restrictive compared to the big kink in the intake hose from box to carb. I've been working on that first. I can see using a simple POD filter if you're a fair weather rider who stays out of water and high dust areas. I have not shopped for a stock filter replacement as yet so I can't advise on a source. I can tell you that I have inside knowledge of the filter business from my professional career. If your looking for quality performance at fair price, WIX. That said, I don't know if they would make this China bike flavor. I have no affiliation with filter companies. I supply raw materials to all the leaders and know who buys the high end elements and build with high end adhesives and components.
Milwaukee, WI

Old 03-17-2022, 04:40 AM   #5

I mainly deleted mine because the carbs I was running didn't use a small enough inlet for the intake tube and I just didn't feel like modding the box for another one. Plus, the factory intake tube is often kinked badly or warped out of shape.

The Hawk airbox is also not a very well sealed unit. Ask anybody that has ridden in dusty environments for a while what the inside of the airbox tends to look like.

That and, the inside of the airbox was a great place to mount some stuff and hide a little tool kit in my case.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-17-2022, 08:42 AM   #6

I like the tool box idea. Can never have too many tools.
Milwaukee, WI

Old 03-17-2022, 01:32 PM   #7

Wow thats a cool idea! I took my box out after my delete but theres tons of space now i will mount a phillips screw driver there ty. Always found it amusing how the magician little "tool" kit that comes with it isnt accessible without a Phillips