Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2022, 10:36 PM   #1

Doh! Did I bend my valve(s)?

I ratcheted the engine around an few revolutions, aligned the “Tl”, and and adjusted the valve lash. I ratcheted the engine around an few revolutions, aligned the “Tl”, and rechecked the valve lash to find them both tight. So I readjusted the valve lash, ratcheted the engine around an few revolutions, aligned the “Tl”, and rechecked the valve lash to find the exhaust perfect and the intake very loose. I say to myself… self, this can’t be. With the “Tl” aligned the valve lash should be consistent. So I ratcheted the engine around an few revolutions, this time observed the action of the valves in relation to the “TI” alignment and discovered there were two different valve positions when the “TI” is aligned. I adjusted/rechecked them on the correct intake cycle and whalla!

Haven’t started engine since being uncrated. I’m in the process of disassembly/upgrade/qc/threadlock/rust prevention.
1982 Kawasaki KD80 - (Sold)

Old 03-02-2022, 11:14 PM   #2

Nah, your safe. Good job catching your mistake. It's a very common one to make.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #3

Really the only thing you could do is adjust them to loose if the cam was not at the bottom of the lobe.
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 03-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #4

Thumbs Up

Great, I rarely get away without paying for my education.
For your input!
1982 Kawasaki KD80 - (Sold)

Old 03-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Sportsman View Post
So I ratcheted the engine around an few revolutions, this time observed the action of the valves in relation to the “TI” alignment and discovered there were two different valve positions when the “TI” is aligned.

This is a very important detail that anyone adjusting their valve lash on any bike should know, and I see glossed over a lot in tutorials for some reason: A four stroke engine has two different possible top dead center positions. The piston reciprocates twice for every complete engine cycle. The piston reaches top dead center on the compression stroke and also the exhaust stroke. When checking/adjusting your valves you want it to be at top center on the compression stroke.

When it's at TDC on the compression stroke both the inlet and exhaust valves are closed. When it's at TDC on the exhaust stroke the exhaust valve is open, and if you try to adjust the valve lash in that state you'll wind up with the clearance on the exhaust valve impossibly wide.

You can determine which is the exhaust and which is the compression stroke on engines where you can't see the cams by watching the valve tappets move as you turn the crank. At TDC on the compression stroke both valves will be fully closed (with the tappets fully raised, both of them equally). On the exhaust stroke the tappet over the exhaust valve will be lowered while the one over the intake valve will be raised.