Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #1

Camera recommendations?

I'm a returning rider. Back in the day, we didn't have no fancy digital cameras, but now it seems they are almost standard. And given the nature of car/bike interactions, I think I'll want to have some recordings.

But how? Seems there are options. I think I'd feel pretty dorky with a GoPro on my dome, but maybe there are less obtrusive options? What about mounting on the handlebars, does that work well for people? Are there any particular go-to models and mounting kits? Just looking for ideas.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #2

Cameras to avoid... In MY opinion anyway!!!

Hi Frank (and others),

I saw your post about "ACTION" cameras and I thought I’d respond about some of the experiences I’ve had with these “So Called” Action Cameras. So far I have an Akaso V50X camera and an Eken 4K Ultra HD model. The Akaso model is the one I have been having problems with. Just read the response (below) that I sent to Akaso about their camera and you’ll see what I mean.

The main reason I wanted to get a camera (for my motorcycle) is that it has honestly been over 30 years since I last rode a motorcycle (since back in the early 70’s), and I was concerned about getting into any accidents. I wanted to have some way to prove whether or not it was me (or the other person) who was a fault for the accident. At least this way, I hoped I was covered...

Hope this helps…

Joe…

=========================

Dear Akaso,

When I saw your advertisements for your V50X action cameras I thought it was just the thing I was looking for. It had Image Stabilization and 4K video which is what I wanted. So I bought one. This was my biggest mistake...

I have never been so disappointed in my life as when I finally got (and tried) your product. So far, I have tried to import the videos I’ve made into 10 different Video Editor programs and none of them (I repeat NONE OF THEM) have worked as expected. No matter what settings I set in the options menus, I cannot get the audio (in any of the videos I made) to import. The videos I recorded with the camera played correctly on the camera itself (both audio and video) but I still cannot import the audio on my PC’s.

I have tried all the Resolution Settings as well as the Video Encoding Settings as well as the Power Frequency Settings, and still nothing works. It looks to me as if Akaso does not use a "STANDARD" MP4 format when they encode their video and therefore it will not import correctly. Why they did this, I have no idea. But as a result, any video files I make or even try to use are useless to me. I have just wasted over $100 on a camera that does not work as advertised. Plain and simple…

As a result of this, I cannot recommend this camera to anyone. If you buy one, you’ll be sorry you did…

As well as buying one of your V50X action cameras (for attachment to my helmet), I also bought another action camera (an Eken 4K Ultra HD model) to use on my rear bumper for video recording of the rear. This camera records video using the “MOV” format which works as expected and I have no problems with. My only regret is that Eken doesn’t make a model with Image Stabilization, because if they did I would buy one and throw the Akaso model away. This is what I think of your “So Called” action camera.

If I could find some way to get a refund, I would ask for one. But I do not expect that I will ever get one, so I figure I have just wasted my money on a piece of junk. Hopefully this will prevent others from making the same mistake that I did…

Thank you…

Joe Schutts

Old 01-06-2022, 07:48 PM   #3

We have gotten to the point that if you want a good action cam, grab a used gopro hero 4 black off ebay and mount it on the bike... i bought one to play around with after several failed attempts at cheap chinese knockoffs... night and day difference... 4k is really 4k, image stabalization actually does something, even has fisheye correction so the vid doesnt look bloated...

Old 01-06-2022, 07:49 PM   #4

Forgot to add, i paid a whopping $60 for said gopro

Old 01-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #5

Joe, did you update your firmware for this camera? I see on Youtube where an update fixed various video and audio issues. As far as video editing you might want to try Kdenlive. I am a Linux user but I understand there is a Windows version as well. If worse comes to worse you could upload to Audacity (audio editor) and export the audio in a format your favorite video editor recognizes. Both Kdenlive and Audacity are free and open source.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #6

Akaso camera problems...

Hi,

I was lucky as the camera I bought had the latest update to the firmware, so none was needed. Regretfully, I did find that there were many other users who had the same problem as I did...

I might be wrong but, it seems to me as if Akaso doesn't use a "STANDARD" MP4 format when recording their video into the camera, and this creates a problem whenever anyone tries to import their videos (with the audio included) into their video editing software. It just will not work correctly.

Either the video just will not import at all, or the video will import but the audio won't, but even this situation depends on what video editing software you are trying to use. So far, I have tried over 10 different video editing programs with each one having different problems trying to it to work correctly.

It's a shame too as otherwise, I think this camera would be a "GOOD" camera instead of an actual GoPro model. It has a lot of good features that I like if it wasn't for it's main problem with the audio...

According to the reviews (at least those I've seen so far) on both EBay and Amazon, numerous people have been complaining about this very same problem and it seems as if Akaso is just ignoring their complaints. And that's just sad...

Many times in the past, I have gotten products (that were defective) and I notified the companies about the problem and they either fixed the problem or at the very least, they put some effort into trying to fix it.

These types of companies I have no problems dealing with because at the least, they tried to fix the problem. They didn't try to hide the problem or ignore it, They actually tried to do something. They put in the effort...

Oh well, I guess I was just brought up in a better (and more honest) era...

Joe...

Old 04-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #7

Camera Recommendations...

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 4K Action Cameras. One is an Akaso 4K Action Camera (with video stabilization) and the second camera is a Eken 4K Action Camera (without video stabilization).

Both cameras are pretty much the same except for the Video Stabilization option. The Akaso Camera saves it's Video files in an "MP4" Format while the Eken Camera saves it's Video files in a "MOV" Format.

The problem that I have is that whenever I try to edit the Video files from the Akaso Camera, the Audio Track is empty. It WILL NOT transfer over.

I have tried 5 different Video Editors and 5 Conversion programs but nothing I used worked. I then went to Akaso's Web Site asking for help and eventually I got a response AND an offer for another camera (which I accepted AND appreciate).

I also got a response from the Akaso Forum (which was a HUGE help). The Akaso Forum was able to find a fix that would allow me to (somewhat) fix the problem I was having with the imported Audio Tracks using Handbrake to fix the problem.

I can recommend the Akaso Camera's BUT with a warning...

UNLESS you have a NEWER VERSION of Cyberlink PowerDirector than (such as PD 365), it WILL NOT WORK with PD13, PD14, PD15 or PD17.

Now as far as the Eken Camera goes, I have had NO ISSUES with importing ANY of my videos into ANY of my Video Editors that I have (and I have roughly 5 different programs). I HIGHLY recommend this camera. The only issue I have, is that it doesn't have Video Stabilization AND the fact that I only bought one of them.

If you have PD13, PD14, PD15 or PD17 AND have the same issue, here are the Handbrake Settings to use to fix this problem...

I hope this helps... Here are the settings to use:

Take care and ride safe...

Bye...

Joe...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Handbrake Settings-2.jpg (45.8 KB, 84 views)