Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #1

Shift lever locks up when downshifting

2020 Hawk 250. 1200 miles. Oil is 20w-50 full synthetic.

Almost always when downshifting at idle into 3rd or 2nd the shifter totally locks up and won’t go down or up. If I release the clutch just slightly I’ll hear a “clunk” on the clutch side of the engine - then it will shift into that gear. This happens when I come to a stop when riding or when I’m sitting in my driveway.

If I downshift while moving, rev matching and all, it doesn’t happen as often. This problem is a bit dangerous since I’ve been hung up in traffic trying to get to first gear with whacked out anxious drivers behind me ready to run me over.

Please help!!

Last edited by Slofun; 09-15-2021 at 11:03 PM.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:34 PM   #2

Here is a video on a shifting problem with a HAWK type others have posted. I think I would take a look and see what I could find or fix.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:29 AM   #3

The behavior of the motorcycle that you're describing is normal, these don't really shift without engagement of both sides of the transmission shaft moving, so for example the clutch needs to be let out, or the bike needs to be moving to shift. The better question is why are you shifting down from 3rd or 4th when not moving? Use the gears to help slow you down, also it gets you down into a gear you can use! Your improper shifting technique is the problem, it's not a problem with the bike.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:15 AM   #4

What you describe sounds normal, however there have been a few people complaining about shifting problems lately and have found some parts improperly installed in their transmission lately.

The biggest pain for me is getting to neutral at a stand still. At stoplights I pull the clutch in and am in first with right foot on the rear brake. Thankfully I haven't had it happen, but I figure if someone behind me stops long and I notice it, I can at least try to go forward. Worst case if I get hit from the rear, the front isn't locked up and I won't go flying over the handlebars because of it. I try to position myself on one side of the lane or the other as well.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #5

After reading your post more closely Franque is right, at a stand still they will not shift. Using words like "locked up" threw me off so I would not take it apart absent some more compelling symptom. As far as stop lights I never try to put it in neutral and always keep it in first gear with the clutch in. I was taught that at training, and I believe it imperative for safety in case you need to move out of some ones way.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #6

Not in any way criticizing you Hawk owners, but my Bashan BSR 'Raven' goes into neutral almost too easy...as you have to make sure you are in first at a stop...because sometimes it will go into neutral from second...leaving you embarrassed (when you let out the clutch...expecting it to go forward as you lift up your feet...then almost falling on your ass!) and then expecting an impatient honker.

I really wonder what the issues are with this rash of Hawk tranny problems. Obviously thousands of Hawk owners have had nary an issue. Wonder if they got a bad batch of chinesium shift parts. The engines seem identical so there has to be a reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210602_111613.jpg (41.1 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by stewbrash; 09-16-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #7

Reread his description... The transmission issues thus far reported on have only been on Hawk DLXs. This sounds like operator error 100%.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
Not in any way criticizing you Hawk owners, but my Bashan BSR 'Raven' goes into neutral almost too easy...as you have to make sure you are in first at a stop...because sometimes it will go into neutral from second...leaving you embarrassed (when you let out the clutch...expecting it to go forward as you lift up your feet...then almost falling on your ass!) and then expecting an impatient honker.

I really wonder what the issues are with this rash of Hawk tranny problems. Obviously thousands of Hawk owners have had nary an issue. Wonder if they got a bad batch of chinesium shift parts. The engines seem identical so there has to be a reason.

Same with my Brozz 250. It will find neutral easily. In fact I think over time and miles it's getting more easy. Definitely have to pay attention.

John

Old 09-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
Third that. My HAWK and Magician with over 1000 miles a piece shift butter smooth and neutral to easy, every so often if I short stroke the go to first that will happen so as said you have to pay attention. Shift indicators are nice but not always perfect!

Old 09-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #10

My DLX (500 miles) also operates just as everyone has been describing: always very smooth--as long as the bike is in motion. I can usually easily find neutral from 1st, even at a standstill, but if I stop completely and am still in 3rd or 4th, it gets embarrassing.

If you don't want to downshift progressively as you slow down, just pull the clutch once and tap all the way down through the gears to 1st before you come to a complete stop.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)