Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #1

Hawk DLX- Died after 5 miles!

I just received my brand new assembled DLX from TX Powersports. Added a bit of gas, flipped on the key, and whammo! Fired right up. Took it out on the rode, and gently clicked through the gears. Got it out on the highway and was doing about 60, downhill, at maybe 3/4 throttle when BAM, it was as if the kill switch was engaged. Engine died.

Pulled over to the side of the road and shut her down. Switched the key back on, let the fuel pump cycle, and hit the start button. The starter engaged, but nothing happened. Just kept turning and turning. Wouldn't fire up. Wouldn't start.

Got it home, hooked up a battery charger, and tried it again. Same response. Flipped the kill switch to the kill position, and hit the button...sounded the same as if the switch was switched to run. I pulled the spark plug and there's spark.

I feel like this is an electrical issue, but I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

Old 08-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #2

There’s spark. Probably not an electrical issue on a brand new bike if spark.

That leaves air and fuel. Are all fuel valves open? Is it EFI or carb?

Old 08-05-2021, 02:23 AM   #3

Did you adjust the valves before going on the ride?

Old 08-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #4

I am with franque on this one... sounds like the valves are too tight once things got hot...

Old 08-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #5

Guys don't you think it would be a plug come loose or apart? He said Bam it quit like it was the kill switch. I don't believe valves would kill the motor that quickly and thinking about it it could be a bad kill switch. My thoughts.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #6

DLX is injected, and since it's firing ,I would prime it with a little gas and sees if it hits. It could be a fuel pump, or injector or sensor . Should be under warrenty. When you say it turns and turns ,Does it turn faster,or more easily than you expect ? If so it is probably the valves not closing.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #7

I have a new Dlx 250 is why I said it maybe a plug come loose. I highly doubt valves would cause the engine to Bam die instantly as he said. My thoughts

Old 08-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

Possibly a blown fuse?

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Old 08-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts. This is the DLX, so EFI. When I was riding it and it died, it was just as if I flipped the kill switch. When I first started it, the sound it made while starting sounded like an engine trying to fire. Now when I try to start it, there's no firing sound, just turning and turning. It sounds the same way when you try to start it with the kill switch engaged.

I'm thinking it's got to be electrical tied to the kill switch somehow. Or a fuse as idle suggested. Does anyone know where to find an electrical diagram?

Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #10

If you are absolutely positive that you are getting spark (these are nice:https://www.harborfreight.com/90-in-...RoCGhcQAvD_BwE), then it is fuel and air. Make sure you have gas at the injector. You can also spray some starter fluid into the intake as you're cranking it. You can check the valves by doing a compression test. https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Compre...94936651&psc=1
I HAD to adjust my valves B4 starting and after 100 miles also.
One sort of extreme thing to do is pull your injector and see if it is spraying.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChina View Post
Thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts. This is the DLX, so EFI. When I was riding it and it died, it was just as if I flipped the kill switch. When I first started it, the sound it made while starting sounded like an engine trying to fire. Now when I try to start it, there's no firing sound, just turning and turning. It sounds the same way when you try to start it with the kill switch engaged.

I'm thinking it's got to be electrical tied to the kill switch somehow. Or a fuse as idle suggested. Does anyone know where to find an electrical diagram?

Thanks again!
Check your connections! It is easy to do so if you look under the front side of the fuel tank from the exhaust pipe there may be a loose connection. Also where the plug is on the fuel injector. It wouldn't be a fuse if everything else works. Try it

Last edited by J4Fun; 08-05-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #12

The bike should have come with a spare fuse, 10w bus fuse. The fuse is usually located near the battery somewhere in line, you will be able to open it up and swap the two fuses and with some luck she will fire up.

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Old 08-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #13

I reached out to the seller and they told me to check and adjust the lashes. I've never done this before but plan on giving it a try today. We'll see!

Old 08-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #14

Fuel, air, spark -- and compression. Could be a serious loss of compression -- busted valve(s), cracked piston....

Old 08-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #15

Adjusted the valves today. The compression valve was incredibly tight and exhaust was too loose. Adjusted them to within specification and....nothing. Didn't help at all.

Fuses are all good.

I pulled the front headlight, all the wires are connected as they should be.

What do I do now?