Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #1

TT250 Countershaft wear

Unfortunately I let my TT250 sit still for far too long as I got a new adventure rig. I was looking at it today and thought it looked a bit neglected. Being bored, I dove into the chain and sprocket replacement I've been putting off.

On removal of the countershaft sprocket cover, I noticed that the sprocket has a lot of wiggle to it. Around the center of the sprocket was a small amount of the red powder/telltale signs of assembly wear. So, I removed it and put on the new sprocket. The wiggle is still there and seems about the same. The bike has 1800 trouble free miles otherwise.

Is anyone aware of an issue with the countershaft being too soft on the 2020 models? Should I be looking at replacement? It seems like enough wiggle to continue to wear away. In the interim, I greased the splines on both parts to help cushion in the future.

FYI: The chain breaker from Harbor Freight works FLAWLESSLY and is worth every penny. Ill never grind off the head of another chain pin.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #2

Excess wobble is a feature of the Honda pattern front sprocket.

If you have any kind of powder up there it is from chain/sprocket wear, that is why you need the new chain/sprocket.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #3

Definitely rust radiating out away from the center. The chain and sprockets are always kept lubricated and don't have much wear.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #4

Are the countershaft splines showing wear? Didn't see any wear on my 50,000 mile Lifan CG but do have some wear on my 1200+ hour Taotao ATV CG engine. I figure the higher wear on the quad engine is from lots of low speed high torque forward and reverse operation. Much more loading and unloading on the quad than the motorcycle that tends to have more constant loading in the forward direction.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Are the countershaft splines showing wear? Didn't see any wear on my 50,000 mile Lifan CG but do have some wear on my 1200+ hour Taotao ATV CG engine. I figure the higher wear on the quad engine is from lots of low speed high torque forward and reverse operation. Much more loading and unloading on the quad than the motorcycle that tends to have more constant loading in the forward direction.
Probably allot more dirt and grit on the atv too.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 06-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Are the countershaft splines showing wear? Didn't see any wear on my 50,000 mile Lifan CG but do have some wear on my 1200+ hour Taotao ATV CG engine.

That's my assumption. I don't have anything to compare them to, but the slop in both sprockets tends to make me think so.

A little wiggle seems normal, but it seems excessive.

I remember a thread a while back where someone mentioned that their 2020 had wear on the case itself from the chain hitting it. There always was a little clatter down there and I assumed this was the issue with mine. First time ever removing the cover. No wear on the case, but definitely lots of wiggle going on.

I also wonder if the plate that holds the sprocket in place is too thin? It seems sort of like it.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #7

Howdy Chairman,

Did you ever find a resolution/answer to the loose gear/spline interface?

Last night I replaced my 15T with a 17T on a nearly new Tao TBR7; the original had a slight looseness to it, the new one is at least twice as much.

Was thinking the same as you re: the retention plate thickness, and thinking about adding a washer. If I do pull the gear I'm going to measure both it and the plate, and compare them to the originals.

Just wondering if you came to any conclusion about this scenario, or if anyone had input as to how loose this fit can actually be without causing undue wear.

Thanks!
mh

Old 09-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #8

As long as the wear on the splines isn't easily visible I wouldn't worry. The fact that the tt250 solid mounts the rear sprocket instead of using cush drive hub inserts will actually cause increased wear on the countershaft over time though. This is a common issue on the xr650L, which also solid mounts the rear sprocket. That big motor puts a lot more stress on those parts though.

One way you can try to counter the wear is to smear a bit of moly 77 on the splines.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 09-01-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #9

They all (CG/CB motors) wiggle, even new. Ride on....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-02-2021, 01:02 AM   #10

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!