Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #1

Hawk Head Gasket swap with TT250 - Question

Ok, who here has done this already?

My first and main question is.....what to do with the o-ring that sits under the head. With the hawk gasket it sits inside the head gasket between the cylinder and the head. The TT250 gasket does not have a large enough hole to allow that.

So, I'm thinking with the o-ring in there it's going to hold the head off the cylinder causing a leak, among other issues.

So, what did others do here and how did it work out?

Also - the TT250 gasket is .5mm which is half the thickness of the hawk gasket and of course is metal vs. fiber. Is head warp tolerance an issue here? This thing is brand new, never been started by me. But it did come to mind, if they're quality is sloppy and they can get away with it with the fiber gasket.

Wish I had thought of these things before tearing it apart, LOL. It's an easy job so no worries. But, SOS. I'd like to get it all back together tomorrow so any suggestions are welcome.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 05-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #2

Surely someone has done this and felt with the o-ring.
I’m wondering if it’s even worth doing.
If I pull the head it’s going to get ported and shaved. I’ll use the stock gasket.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #3

I swapped it on my tbr7, I used the old o-ring and it hasn't leaked or warped or anything.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 05-21-2021, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
I swapped it on my tbr7, I used the old o-ring and it hasn't leaked or warped or anything.

Really? So i did not use the O-ring and so far so good. The head gasket I got did not have room for the o-ring to sit inside of it, it would have had to be under it or on it and I could see how that was feasible. I did however use copper gasket spray on both sides of the gasket. I only have about 25 "units" on it so far...is it KM? anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #5

25 units.
I too question the speedo since I’ve got 6 “units” and only have been around the block three times.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #6

You guys are funny. My speedometer was relatively close for mph, but the odometer seemed to measure km. I never left my little neighborhood for the 1st few days of riding and I looked down and it said I had gone over 90miles. Lol!

Back to the oring, mine fit in the hole,but honestly that gasket is so thin that I'm pretty sure you're ok not using it. I never checked, does the csc website show an oring in their parts list?
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 05-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #7

Ya that was what happened to me, I went up the road and back like 3 times and looked and go - no way I've been 25 miles. lol I can't understand why use MPH for speed and then KM for distance but whatever dude. I'm switching to my digital dash this weekend anyway.

So ya anyway I think I'm good, I'll keep an eye on it, but no I do not think they list an o-ring.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #8

CSC does not use the O ring with the steel gasket. I used a gasket coating on mine to be safe, but nope, no O-ring with theirs. Only the fiber gaskets, which I can only assume is to help prevent the oil pressure from blowing the gasket material out when it gets wet with oil.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124