Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #1

rear axle left/right adjustment Bull 150

I bought a used bull 150 that is only about 7 months old, but the previous owner really didn't know anything about these Chinese quads and did nothing to it. The ball joints and tie rods were loose, the suspension was completely out of alignment, and the rear axle is shifted about 1/2 inch to the left. I know how to align and adjust chain tension front to back, but I have no idea how to go about shifting the entire axle in the carrier left/right?
Anyone know how to do this?
Thanks!
-J

Old 02-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #2

I did some measurements. On the left side, the rear hub to carrier distance is 11 inches. On the right side, the hub to carrier is 10.5. Something is definitely off.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #3

alignment

this is how I do stuff.... do a toe in check... make sure you have 0 inch toe in... and then the front wheels are straight ... then measure from the front rim to the rear rim.... on both sides.... need the adjustment within 1/2 inch.. you can do this with the adjustors.. if you have the right side to far back( longer) .. after you loose the bolts that hold the axle to the swingarm... you can use a racketing strap... on the from A ARM.. over the rear axle... and racket it forward,,, then adjust the rear axle so it is within the 1/2 inch... allow 1/2 deflection on the chain..... then your unit will be set... and ride straight... you need to do this alignment.. to make it ride straight..

Old 02-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #4

@FLASHLIGHTBOY

Thank you for the reply.

I'm going to have to take this thing apart. My issue isn't with front/back alignment. it's with side to side at the rear. From the edge of the swingarm to the inside edge of the left tire measures 6 inches. From the right edge of the swingarm to the inside edge of the right tire is 5.5. It's like the axle is shifted .5" left.

I put a 48" level on the inside of the rear tire and extended it forward. On the left side, the inside of the rear tire lines up with the center of the front lower shock bolt. If I do the same thing to the right side, the inside of the right rear tire lines up just inside of the front bottom shock bolt.

OK, this tells me something is bent. but I should be able to see where. It's 1/2" after all.

Now here's the interesting part. I put a straightedge on the rear sprocket and it is in perfect alignment with the sprocket on the motor. So that tells me that this isn't really an issue.
Additionally, if the axle were really 1/2" shifted left there is no way the rear brake would work as the caliper is attached to the carrier. Everything lines up and looks OK.

Also, On the left side, the rear hub to rear carrier distance is 11 inches. On the right side, the hub to carrier is 10.5. If the swingarm is supposed to be perfectly centered, the axle I have is 1/2 inch shorter on the right than it is on the left

Nothing is obviously bent, and I'd think I should be able to see something that is 1/2" out of wack. I guess it's possible that the swingarm on these is not perfectly centered on the frame, but I doubt that much engineering went into these cheap quads.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #5

The swing arm probably isn't welded square. It's the same on the Rhinos we've bought. You'll be ok since your sprockets are aligned.
2016 Tao Tao 125D