Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

New to me Hawk EFI: electrical problems, or?

Just picked up a 2019 Hawk EFI yesterday with some weird stuff going on.

Rode the bike home 22 miles yesterday. Can't say for certain, but it feels like it is running as it should. So, no performance problems me thinks.

Here is the history of the bike that I was told:
  • Bike ran, then didn't - previous owner replaced fuel pump and it was back to life
  • Digital Dash doesn't display accurate speed. Sits around 2mph. A (non-dlx) digital replacement gauge was included with purchase. There are around 1100 miles on the ODO, bike has more, but not a crazy amount
  • Battery died in less than a year, was replaced. This is probably from sitting for 2.5 months.

Other things I found on the bike:
  • Front running light in the headlight burnt out
  • rear license plate light is burnt out

I am left asking myself a question: is there a global electrical problem on the bike connected with all these problems? Either a short or a regulator issue?

I have replaced the running light in the front with some LEDs i had laying around - not sure how long they will last if the voltage is all over the place. I don't want to replace the dash if it is just going to burn up like the previous.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-30-2021, 10:52 PM   #2

Sound like it just wasn't taken very good care of. Minor maitence issues and a cluster although I would check the cables coming from the cluster for damage, sounds like they could of got pinched.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #3

I would check the voltage output being produced with the engine running. If the regulator takes a vacation, it can allow excessive voltage to burn out bulbs as quickly as you can replace them. It can also overcharge the battery, causing it to boil off its electrolyte. Any charging voltage above 14-15 should be checked closely. I think normal would be in the mid-14's, approaching 15.
tom

Old 01-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #4

I had the regulator/rectifier fail on a Polaris atv and after replacing the headlight bulbs 2 times I discovered that was the problem.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"