Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #1

HI-BIRD or Komoto? Best place to buy?

Hello, everyone. I think, after reading over these forums for the past few days, that I'm going to get one of the HI-BIRD/Komoto dual-sports. I think I'd prefer the 250cc, just for the added power. I've also read a few posts debating the difference between the HI-BIRD and Komoto versions, which seem to be identical aside from the rear brake and front shocks. Can someone who has one of either chime in on the pros and cons of each? I can't seem to find anything definitive. And while I have read over the forums, I know opinions can change, so I thought I'd ask these questions anew.

As far as a mechanical background, I'm definitely not afraid of picking up a wrench under good instruction, but I'm also no mechanic. So if one of the shocks, or one type of brakes, will be easier to work on if needed, please let me know.

Now, when it comes time to buy one of these things, I've seen most people seem to lean towards VBike. Is that dealer still highly recommended? If so, which site, http://vbike.us or http://vbikeusa.com , as they both seem to have different bikes.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #2

I guess I should mention, in case it weighs your answers, I plan to use the bike mainly for around town commuting, and light trail riding on the weekends. Also, being only 5'8", would these bikes be too tall? That sounds like an odd question, considering my usual ride is a full-dress Yamaha Venture. However, it's seat height is right around 30", and I'm right at flat-foot height.

I guess these things don't weigh much, so as long as one foot's down flat I'm sure I'd be fine. Thoughts?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #3

are u a balarina, ????
cause you'll need your tip toes on the dual sport bike,
avg seat highth is 39"

Old 05-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #4

I'm only 5'7" but can hold these up pretty well. I used to have a Suzuki DR250s about 15 years ago which taught me how to hold up a tall-ish bike (although I found out only recently that Suzukis can be lowered w/o affecting the suspension). Being a current bike owner, even though it's a shorter Yamaha, should give you the confidence of your tip-toes.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Mavrick
Well, in my own opinion, I believe the bikes are quite heavy. It would be even harder for someone of the average 5'8" stature to handle the bike decently as well as have no problem holding yourself up at a stand still. (Unless you already have experience of course.) I'm 6'2" and my bike still feels huge to me. But that's just me. I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say, I'm just putting my two cents in.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick
Well, in my own opinion, I believe the bikes are quite heavy.
My saving grace there is that my Venture's dry weight is an estimated 807lbs, and I'm used to riding two-up with my girlfriend. So figured with the two of us riding, and some gear, we're well over the 1000lbs mark.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #7

I'm 5'8" and can throw my bike around like a toy, with experience comes confidence, I've also been riding dirt and street for over 30 years..
Yes any dual-sport is going to be taller and lighter than your Venture, if you have unusually stubby legs you may have a problem but I think you'll be fine...

Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerviperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick
Well, in my own opinion, I believe the bikes are quite heavy.
My saving grace there is that my Venture's dry weight is an estimated 807lbs, and I'm used to riding two-up with my girlfriend. So figured with the two of us riding, and some gear, we're well over the 1000lbs mark.
Cerviperus my china bike was only a 150cc but it looked a lot like Mav's (without so much yellow :P ) I'm 5'8". 123LBs. I was a New Rider when I got my chinabike. IMHO, you will have no problems at all. I wish I could have kept my chinabike for city, stop and go traffic. My CB350 feels like a Harley, compared to my chinabike. The seat may be tall but the engine weight is slung low. In a word, I'd call it, Nimble.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
Yes any dual-sport is going to be taller and lighter than your Venture, if you have unusually stubby legs you may have a problem but I think you'll be fine...
I like to think they're not stubby...

I kind of figured as much about them being taller, as I've sat on many dual-sport/dirt bikes in the past, and they all seemed to be ridiculously tall. And even if I do have to get used to stopping with a single foot down, I have to do that on occasion with Venture if the road has a good slant.

So aside from the seat-height issue, if I decide to give it a whirl (I mean what better way to learn than with a cheaper bike right?), any thoughts on my other questions?

Thanks for all of the thoughts so far, guys!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog
are u a balarina, ????
avg seat highth is 39"
Get out your tape measure my friend. Most of these bikes are nowhere near a 39" seat height. The new KLX250's are 35"; the XR650L is 37" and it's considered the Mount Everest of DS bikes.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog
are u a balarina, ????
avg seat highth is 39"
Get out your tape measure my friend. Most of these bikes are nowhere near a 39" seat height. The new KLX250's are 35"; the XR650L is 37" and it's considered the Mount Everest of DS bikes.
Don't forget the DRZ-400 which feels like it's 50" (but Suzuki does have a trick that allows one to lower the bikes for shorties like me)

Desert Dog's 300cc XTM (apparently not EPA-legal yet) is listed at 970mm :!: :!: , which would put it in this territory, too.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #12

I wear 30 size pants, and I'm 5'7". I find my Hi Bird's 35" seat height to be a hair too tall. A 34" seat height would be perfection for me and my riding style, and anything lower than 34" would be too low for comfort. My Honda CB250 has 29" seat height; and it is uncomfortable for me because of its heavy weight and wide seat. I also feel like I'm too low to the ground. I prefer the 35" seat on the Hi Bird than the 29" on the Honda. If I don't have to stop for traffic lights and stop signs (like light trail riding), I would consider going even higher, like a 37" Honda XR600, because I wouldn't have to slide my butt over much and dropping the bike on dirt is not too bad. The seat height is not a problem; it is more a hassle, especially if one is stuck in traffic jam.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #13

Re: HI-BIRD or Komoto? Best place to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerviperus
Hello, everyone. I think, after reading over these forums for the past few days, that I'm going to get one of the HI-BIRD/Komoto dual-sports. I think I'd prefer the 250cc, just for the added power. I've also read a few posts debating the difference between the HI-BIRD and Komoto versions, which seem to be identical aside from the rear brake and front shocks. Can someone who has one of either chime in on the pros and cons of each? I can't seem to find anything definitive. And while I have read over the forums, I know opinions can change, so I thought I'd ask these questions anew.

As far as a mechanical background, I'm definitely not afraid of picking up a wrench under good instruction, but I'm also no mechanic. So if one of the shocks, or one type of brakes, will be easier to work on if needed, please let me know.

Now, when it comes time to buy one of these things, I've seen most people seem to lean towards VBike. Is that dealer still highly recommended? If so, which site, http://vbike.us or http://vbikeusa.com , as they both seem to have different bikes.

So, anyone, thoughts on the original questions since I got everyone so side-tracked on the height issue? Heh.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #14

I believe both sites are the same seller. I would go for the hibird over the komoto due to the simpler design features.

Either one should be fine though.

Allen

Old 05-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #15

I have been hearing mixed messages that Tim is out of the Hi-Bird, so if you really want a bike now, you might have to get the Komoto. V-Bikes is the same place, although they have a price difference :? between the two, but you might be able to find the Hi-Bird model on Ebay through Vbikes also.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150