Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2020, 12:14 AM   #1

Hello From Houston

High,

I am looking at getting into motorcycles at the encouragement of two of my sons. I want to start small 200 - 250 and the bikes mentioned regularly on this forum seem to fit the bill.
Though it seems there are more issues with dealers than bikes!
I will poke around and see what I can learn but recommendations for dealers and a fun dual sport(almost all city use) would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! Some of the best dealers you will find are sponsors of this forum. Venommotorsportsusa.com , Brozz250.com and Powersporrmax.com all give great service before and after the sale.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-26-2020, 11:20 PM   #3

Thanks I am looking at them and the Motomax 250 looks like a good bike for Houston roads. Thanks for the carburetor video too.
Now I need to figure out if I can do final assembly for one. The nearest dealer seems to be on most avoid lists.
I am taking my MSF course in the next couple of weeks so I still have time for research.
This is a useful and friendly site.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #4

I think the Motomax 250 would be a good bike for mainly road use and possibly some very light trail use. If you do mainly want a street bike however, there are some other good options out there, depending on what type of riding you wish to do.

As far as final assembly goes. You will mainly need a basic metric tool kit, a set of JIS screwdrivers, probably a buddy to help get it out of the crate. At worst, these bikes come shipped like the Hawk, and you have to lift the back end up to bolt the shock to the swing arm, the handlebars to the top triple clamp, then lift the front and lower both forks, and then install the front wheel and brake caliper. Once that is done, installing lots of small parts, the headlight, etc. Nothing too complicated, just lots of little things to do. Some come with even less assembly required than that.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #5

Thank you for the response.

I am planning to be on streets almost exclusively. I generally like the style of dual sports and standard bikes, but I rate practicality over style. Mostly will be using it for fun riding and possibly commuting on occasion so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As I will be new to motorcycles I am not sure if I will even want to take it on the freeway.

I have a metric set in anticipation of needing it and a couple of friends who are handy with motorcycles. So far they have been patient with me and my endless questions.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #6

With the right tires, dual sport is great on the street so long as you can handle the power these make, you will be happy. Especially if your area has "deferred maintenance" on its roads, the DS suspension will soak it up.

My Hawk DLX info page: https://www.ecimulti.org/hawk250

Old 12-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #7

If Peace still carry the Motomax 250, it will be a great bike for the street. I rode a 200cc TMEC dual-sport 160 miles a week round-trip, year round for 4 years and opted for the 17/17 wheels and street tires.

As far as buying local, you probably will be fine; the issues arise from mail-order. While they can choose to ignore phone calls and emails if problems come up, it would be more difficult ignoring your physical presence.

EDIT: the Motormax costs a bit more according to the Peace Motorsports rep because it comes 95% assembled in the crate, from the Bashan factory. Cannot remember what the 5% entails, but not as much assembly required as other bikes like the Hawk or TBR7.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard