Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #16

Well that sucks. That is wrong in so many ways. How can something be street legal and all of a sudden it's not? Just move across the border into Louisiana and they'll put a tag on anything with wheels and lights.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #17

^^^^^
"Sportsmans Paradise"

If a vehicle meets FMVSS, I don't know how it can be denied licensing.

CA will not STOP a non-CARB approved vehicle from migrating into the state, such as one purchased in Indiana, but DOES prevent your sale of said vehicle into the CA market. "You brung it, we'll let you continue to use it, but that's as far as we will go." seems to be the attitude.

If the vehicle 'type' description is the problem, take the AR title and 'wash' it through another state,(LA?) where the description can be 'modified to reflect properly vehicle type"... as the title is applied for, and THEN re-wash back to AR with a type that allows on-street licensing, etc.
Maybe ask for a reclassification of type within the AR DMV. There may be mostly obscure rules about 'vehicle changes' that allow for titles to reflect current conditions.
I know my Sis and BIL re-titled a T-bird from the late 1950's with a 'change in body type' from hardtop to convertible.... It worked, and they had clear title.
Changing a cycle type should be no big deal in comparison. Maybe.
tom

Last edited by grumpyunk; 12-09-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcj68chris@aol. View Post
Hi all, 2020 tbr7. My title from TX. POWER SPORTS. Has the word "motorcycle" written on it. It also has written in smaller print, Fmvss, and states that it is E.P.A. and D.O.T. approved. Haven't tried to register it in N.Y. yet. I may just go the vermont method, I hear they will plate a shopping cart
No need to go the Vermont route--the TBR is 49-state EPA/DOT ('Californians need not apply'); just like the Bashan Storm 250 is (again, Californians need not apply! ).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #19

It has nothing to do with the emissions. It all has to do with the wording used by Rokets/Bashan when they sold it to me. The out of state plates won’t work. There is a 30 day law for residents and non residents in Arkansas. For about a grand you can transfer the title to a LLC (yourself) and then have it plated out of state and that will work. For an RV or high end KTM it’s worth it but not a Chinabike no matter how perfect it runs. Harley Davidson is the only dealership that will take it on a trade in and I don’t want a Harley lol. I’ll be lucky to get $500 for it as a trail bike. I can afford payments on anything but I don’t have a co-signer or a 750+ credit score so nobody will finance me even a used bike besides.. Harley lol.

When it rains it pours!
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 12-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #20

I just checked my Title and it says Motorcycle. I think this will be an important thing for others to be aware of depending on the state they are registering in and how they categorize different brands, whether DT or MC

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 12-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #21

Do you have notary/tag shops in Arkansas? If so i would head over to one of them and try there. Those guy's will do anything to make it work and collect there money. I'm sure the person you spoke to at the DMV has a clue on what to do.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #22

Just got off the phone with the DMV ( they actually called me) and they’re requiring I come turn in my tag. The MSO is the official problem, to fix it I have to show proof of purchase of a street kit from a licensed motorcycle dealer. Cheapest I can find in town is about $400 lol. I asked about just getting a police inspection and it’s a no go. That doesn’t prove a purchase of the required modifications.

Fun.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 12-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #23

So the dealer you bought the bike from had filled out the MCO with dirtbike instead of motorcycle?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #24

This is all "very" unusual, it is extremely rare for even the Govt. to effectively make you a "criminal" retroactively, in every case i have seen something like this done, those that were ALREADY plated were left alone ,they were "grandfathered in" so to speak, but no new Bikes of the type were allowed to be plated. And as you stated you have had it plated for 3 years, so i fail to see the problem although I admit freely that doesn't help you at all, it's simply points out thats the most arbitrary BS i have seen in a while .Frankly no offense intended to my fellow Riders out West but it sounds like something only the idiots in Cali would pull , I never expected to hear this kind of foolishness being pulled anywhere else.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 12-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #25

I used to know a mechanic here in Texas that worked at a dealership. He said they used to make dirtbikes street legal but it wasn't cheap. I think he said they'd add the horn and lights, then get it inspected, then they'd have to resubmit the title to be changed to a motorcycle instead of "off road" then they could get it tagged. He said it wasnt really cheap and it took some time for all the paperwork, but they did several.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 12-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
It has nothing to do with the emissions. It all has to do with the wording used by Rokets/Bashan when they sold it to me.
Contact Bashan directly as they still show them on their site. And the dealership for all it's worth.

https://www.roketa.com/product/produ...=0&proID=59663

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
I used to know a mechanic here in Texas that worked at a dealership. He said they used to make dirtbikes street legal but it wasn't cheap. I think he said they'd add the horn and lights, then get it inspected, then they'd have to resubmit the title to be changed to a motorcycle instead of "off road" then they could get it tagged. He said it wasnt really cheap and it took some time for all the paperwork, but they did several.
I

Old 12-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
So the dealer you bought the bike from had filled out the MCO with dirtbike instead of motorcycle?
They listed the Body Type as

Old 12-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #29

I think someone screwed up when they entered yours. As long as the mco states motorcycle you should be good as road legal. Body type is just a descriptor, 2d, 4d sedan. Did they mistakenly enter the vehicle type as "other" or "OHV"?

TX kind of did the same thing a few years ago and invalidated all assembled vehicle titles. dune buggies, kit cars, and such no longer had titles. Took a lot of legal fighting to get those idiots, I mean politicians to fix it. You might want to reach out to your state politicians and complain.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Just got off the phone with the DMV ( they actually called me) and they’re requiring I come turn in my tag. The MSO is the official problem, to fix it I have to show proof of purchase of a street kit from a licensed motorcycle dealer. Cheapest I can find in town is about $400 lol. I asked about just getting a police inspection and it’s a no go. That doesn’t prove a purchase of the required modifications.

Fun.
That sucks you cant get it registered to show it street worthy.

Seems to me - when I registered my bike last month - I had to choose vehicle type and selected MC for Motorcycle. I have a copy of my MCO - but had to turn the original in.

Do you have a copy of the MCO?? Could it be - at original registration someone selected DB and at the time that was find and did not make a difference. I wonder if it is possible to assert that DB was incorrect and it is and was in fact a street legal motorcycle - and get the original title corrected?

Best of Luck. I hope this comes to a simple fix.