Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Are Lifan transmissions prone to popping out of gear?

I'm curious if Lifan motors have a history of transmission problems. Specifically, popping out of gear under load. The SSR Buccaneer has the Lifan copy of the XV250 motor in it, and there are several people complaining of it popping out of third or fourth gear, especially when the shift was not clean. I've found that clutch adjustment and whether the linkage is wobbly or not can cause improper engagement, and every now and then mine will pop out of 3rd or 4th when I'm hard on the throttle. Some people have this popping out problem all the time, while mine is pretty rare.

Searching google, I've found no mention of the Yamaha XV250 (Virago/V-Star 250) ever doing this for anyone.

So, is this because of inferior metal gears? Obviously there's some difference here. Do other Lifan motors have this problem?

Charles.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

This is the first time i ever heard of the issue with the Lifan but apparently there is some kind of issue. Now you got me curious as well. I owned a 1989 Yamaha XV250 and never had an issue with it popping out of gear.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #3

I belong to two Facebook groups for Lifans, but neither is for the Lycan cruiser, so nothing to report. The best place to ask would be on the few and far between YouTube posters who have the bike. Caesar (I don't recall his handle name, but he is a member here as well) who has the 'Small Engine Velocity' channel was given a Lycan to evaluate, and I don't recall any of his videos mentioning it. But, he is not an endorser for Lifan, so would be more honest. If I remember, I will ask him myself via PM or via Facebook.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #4

If it gets bad I'll replace the transmission gears, shift forks, and shift drum. And I'll likely either use Yamaha gears, or undercut the Lifan gears. But it's only an occasional thing right now, at 11,500 miles.

Charles.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #5

I've never had a problem with popping out of gear on my Lifan CG engines. My 140 Lifan sometimes overshoots a gear when shifted too hard with my giant foot but never pops out of gear once engaged.