Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #1

EFI Diagnostics

So I'm a tech at a scooter shop. We also dabble in ATVs, dirtbikes, motorcycles, enduros, go karts, anything Chinese. I'm still pretty new at this, I started in December 2019. To be honest, sometimes the quality can be a little frustrating but as someone who's never gotten a chance to be around this stuff, they're great for learning on as this is a career change for me(2 years sober, I was previously a cook/chef but I had to change).

With all that said, I want to be good at what I do. I don't have to be the best there ever was, but I want to be worth my salt. We had a brand new Xpect assembled out of the crate that wouldn't start. It was throwing like five different codes and having a no spark condition. I didn't get a chance to do much with it, as it was pretty much the end of the day. I took the time overnight to think about it and it had to be something small like a fuse. Coming from working on cars a little, that sounded like the place all of the systems affected would intersect. Came in the next morning (yesterday) and sure enough, it was just a blown fuse. I imagine the guy assembling it jumped the battery with the bracket that secures it.

So happy story, the bikes runs and rides and all is well, except it kind of opened a can of worms for me. I want to be able to pull codes and see real time data. I may be off in this, but I feel like EFI is gaining ground in the Chinese market. To be honest, that's cool with me. Being as young as I am, that's all I know. When I started working here I had to take the time to learn how carbs even work(lol I know. They're really simple actually I can see the appeal).

So how do I do this? I read that motorcycles don't use a standard obd2, as they weren't included in that back in the 90s. I can hardly believe there's a global/industry standard. I read that some of the major manufacturers use CAN(which admittedly is a foreign language to me as of now). We contacted our dealer and they had no real support on the issue. I know I can always count the flashing engines on the display but do they always mean the same thing on every make/model? Will I just need a different service manual for every model?

I saw a post here during my initial searches from a user that linked to a data cable that I believe was specifically for the Xpect. I dug around a little more and learned how to order from Taobao. So that's an option. But will it be usable with other makes/models? Will it work with Sym/Lance units etc? Will I need multiple devices/cables/software?

Speaking of software and going back to that Taobao cable, tuning is something that would also be of interest. We may not offer tuning as a general service, but I'm sure that at least a few of our customers might like an EFI swap. Would it be practical to do a swap to a stand alone unit? A lot of cars guys do it and it makes me wonder if that's an option. There's one particular kit I've seen online that's had some positive feedback on the Facebook groups. It happens to use a really popular, well documented open source software to boot.

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong. I may be totally backwards in my way of thinking here. Being as new as I am there's a lot to unpack here for me. I've mad leaps and bounds so far as a tech and I'm really wanting to keep that momentum going. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #2

I'm curious to see what the answer to this is. I'd love to be able to watch my Hawk DLX in real time...

g.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #3

Ziptie...congrats on the fresh start in the power sports business..! sounds like you have a good attitude towards the whole thing,..wanting to learn,..wanting to do your best. My first job in the 70's was at a motorcycle dealer in upstate NY,...was there a few years. You can indeed learn a lot right here on these forums...some pretty good talent and knowledge on here...lots of years total experience for sure. Good luck..!
2019 Brozz 250

Old 07-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #4

I appreciate the kind words guys. At first I was little iffy about it because the pay isn't real high but there lots of other benefits, like getting to ride dirt bikes and ATVs and whatnot as my job so it kind of balances out. My bosses are pretty cool too, so it helps being around a couple guys that are really down to earth. I'm actually in the process of getting enrolled in the local community college for power sports.