Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #1

Your opinions on my thoughts!

Well while I sit here and wait one more weekend for the bikes/samples, I would like to get everyones opinion on several things. All these thoughts have been going through my mind. Now this is only if the bikes/samples I get are quality because I cannot in good conscience sell a peice of #$%!! to anyone. While I wait, you guys can give me some ideas, advice and input.

A. I need to come up with a name for the bikes, or just use the import/manufaturers name?

B. A name for the business (Bruce has a great one, and I can't seem to get a good one like that to mind) my thought first thought was 'RED STAR CYCLES" or "RED STAR MOTORSPORTS", probably already taken, you guys have any ideas?

C. Should I just sell dirtbikes and DS, or ATV's also? My thought, just dirt and DS till I see how it goes?

D. Internet sales? That scares me.

E. Am I crazy???????

Thanks, Frank

Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #2

red starr motosports sounds decent, two rr and moto instead of motor, me I woul say just dirt and ds evryone sells atv unless you sell them for a killer price that way if some one wants one for junior, internet good question crazy no, slightly mental I'm thinking yes, but it takes one to know one

Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
i think if you really want it to work out it will.

as far as the atv sales.. just remember that the atv's crated up takes up roughly double the space of two bikes... just fyi.

good luck on your endeavor.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #4

I would keep atv's in mind. My dealer sells more ATV's and scooters than anything. The small 90 - 200 cc atv's sell best, according to him. For some reason, the dirtbike sales, for him, seem kinda slow.
Just my thoughts.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #5

I am glad to get your input, you all bring up good points. I think I will focus on the MX and DS bikes at first, but I have been approached by several people asking me questions about quads and even scooters. I think maybe I will just stock a couple bikes, and just tell folks in the begining that I am only able to do special order with deposits till I get established. The factory is giving a 1 year warranty, and 3% easily damaged parts.

As long as folks understand that in order to get warranty service, parts and service, there will be some wait. I want to be a full dealer and provide the whole ball of wax, I just hope the company I am dealing with will stand behind the product. So far it has been a smooth process, just lots of time and then waiting. I am researching a PA dealers license, and I been thinking of talking to the company about being a distributer for other shops, like a factory rep. Maybe I am bitting off to much. RED STARR MOTOSPORTS hmmmmm...... we shall see.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:32 AM   #6

Quote:
C. Should I just sell dirtbikes and DS, or ATV's also? My thought, just dirt and DS till I see how it goes?
With fuel prices where they are, and only destined to increase, I would get into scooters. They're even less expensive than the DS bikes and many first timers find them less 'intimidating'.

Quote:
D. Internet sales? That scares me.
Bruce and Tom will probably disagree with me about this :wink: but I think Internet sales are a good thing. Right now Chinese bikes don't have brick and mortar market penetration so the only way many people can get their hands on an affordable ride is via Internet sales. I'm not talking some fly-by-night e-bay vendor but an honest dealer who also happens to sell on the Internet. Just make it painfully obvious to the customer what they'll be getting and the risks involved with shipping, assembly, registration, etc...

If only it was practical to ship the bike pre-assembled and tested....

Quote:
E. Am I crazy???????
Absolutely not. Until now, bike dealerships were only possible for the financial elite. It's out of reach for the average guy to open a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership unless you have bucket loads of cash and the Big 4 decide, in their infinite mercy, to grant you one. Finally, the 'little guy' has his shot for a reasonable capital investment. The key is service. A lot of dealers throw that out but in my experience very few deliver. I wish I had a buck for every time I was ignored after walking into the local Yamaha shop. I visited a Kawasaki shop last fall looking for a chain. Their response, "Oh, we don't carry motorcycle chains." Test drives? Forget about it. The local Lifan dealer is the only local dealer I've heard of that allows a test ride. The Big 4 dealers offer a test ride about once a year, then only on a select group of bikes, and only if you make a reservation.

Also, due to the price a lot of people will cut you some slack. I know I don't hold my Lifan to the same standard as my 300ex in terms of quality.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 02-10-2007, 06:13 AM   #7

Hi Frank

Call me we'll talk. Everything that is going through my mind right now about your questions, it would be tough to peck it all out. There are things about being a distributor that I can't post to the general public. I'm not one but I have some information from guys that I know that are. Talk to you soon, or PM me with your phone number if you can't contact me during my shop hours.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 02-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
I would keep atv's in mind. My dealer sells more ATV's and scooters than anything. The small 90 - 200 cc atv's sell best, according to him. For some reason, the dirtbike sales, for him, seem kinda slow.
Just my thoughts.
I have noticed the atv's seem to sell more than the dirtbikes. I don't get it? I have rode both. Atv's are a blast and at times are a much more useful vehicle if you are hunting or need to haul something.
But my fun meter goes off the chart when I get on 2 wheels instead of 4!

I guess in a climate where there is snow, an atv has more year around ride time.
I have also noticed that some people that are "frightened" by motorcycles feel that 4 wheels are safer. (I won't go there.)

DS, ATV and Scoots. They all sell around here.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
The key is service. A lot of dealers throw that out but in my experience very few deliver.
Having just bought a bike at a Zongshen dealer 5 miles from my house, I can honestly say it felt really good to ride over and get the choke adjusted. They got me in with no wait and made it right in under an hour with no cost to me. They have 3 full time mechanics and it looks like about 50 scooters lined up waiting for repairs of one sort or another.

As to weather or not I would recommend them, I a word YES.

While I was buying my bike yesterday a lady came in complaining because they still have her scooter. Apparently there was a warranty issue. All of the mechanics have tried to fix it and the owner even worked on it. They can't seem to resolve the problem so the owner offered the lady $900 trade in for her scooter for anything in the store. For her to replace her scooter with any of 3 other brand new scooters would only cost her $99.00 plus taxes and transfer fees. about another $70-$80.

She wasn't thrilled with the idea of spending any money, but it sure sounded like a fair option to me to get out from under a lemon.