Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #1

Doh! 2020 TaoTao 250 Engine Swap 87 Honda? Idiot Question?

Want to throw a different motor in the 2020 tt 250. I am quite literally the definition of most ignorant beginner compared to this community. I’ve done a butt ton of research and can’t tell if this is possible or if my motor in particular if a ridiculous notion. I digress, I have a 87 honda xr250r motor that’s more than quick enough for me. If I were to cut half me hp with this stock TT motor it would destroy me, even though i would have the satisfaction of having the first brand new thing I’ve ever owned I love the body and style and all such and things of the TT 250. But I would be psyched if I could put the power of my Honda in the new bike. Can’t help but think know matter if I managed to do it, I would have to replace nearly everything else for it to work. I’m aware of the first day changes you should make to the TaoTao, like loctiteing and different carb to adjust idle and such, cleaning everything up really to ensure longevity. Please tell me if I’m ignorant or if this is at all possible. I just want to know my feelings won’t be hurt! Wanted to see if forum would respond before I asked a friend whos small engine tech, avoid embarrassment and ask the source in case he thinks he could, gets me super excited, to find out it can’t happen. I’d rather be chastised by the Internet than my friends, brrrruuuutal bunch I guys I know. Please help me out.

2020 TaoTao 250/1987 Honda XR250R

Old 07-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #2

It's doable. My only concern would be if the swing arm will hold up with that 24+ HP. But even that can be upgraded. I'd say go for it. BTW welcome aboard!
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #3

It can be done.... The limiting factor is going to be your own skill and abilities.

But I've seen people with zero experience be able to swap a Corvette v8 into a Jeep Liberty... And it worked. So, completely possible.

Big like anything, and probably moreso here, you'll want to plan out every step that you can anticipate.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #4

Thank you so much, it’s cool that I actually got responses on a forum! I feel welcomed!

Old 07-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

I have been on my Honda 250 bike for months now and got more than comfortable, however I couldn’t agree with you more! A whole new setup is intimidating enough! Maybe I should run around on the stock motor for a while first? Or when I get this bike in the mail not pre assembled, It might be a better idea to throw the Honda motor on there while everything already apart? Either way. All of the tt’s are out of stock, so I had to pre order! It will be awhile, but! I will keep y’all posted and let you know if everything goes alright. I hope it does. Would be a pretty bitchin bike with that 30 hp I think... sleeeeepperrr biiikee?? lol nah I’m lame. Stick around boys!

Old 07-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #6

If it don't fit, bigger hammer

Compare the engines, mounting points, amount and location, see if it will fit even some of them as is and make adapter plates for the rest (I'm guessing since you're planning sth like this you at least have an angle grinder and a drill.) Get thick cardboard for mockups and template making, transfer onto steel plate cut and grind. Your biggest challenge is to get the chain alignment straight, that will dictate where the engine will finally sit, everything else will be done around and according to that. Take into account carb space, air filter etc, prepare to at least modify, possibly rebuild the exhaust. It's not a DIFFICULT job but it is a BIG job. Or rather a long list of small ones. Do it right, do it well or don't start at all, otherwise you'll end up with two parted out bikes and a big upside down grin.

I'm not gonna say don't do it, but I gotta wonder WHY not just have both bikes as they are?
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 07-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #7

Actually , I think it would make a fine conversion ,but if you are cutting up a brand new bike why not just get a hawk or something a little less expensive to start with .I would not do it on a brand new bike ,and not on a premium bike when the other cheaper bikes would work just fine .

Old 07-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #8

Isn't the XR250R engine the one with the weird double rockers? If so it'll be somewhat taller than the CG engine.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Actually , I think it would make a fine conversion ,but if you are cutting up a brand new bike why not just get a hawk or something a little less expensive to start with .I would not do it on a brand new bike ,and not on a premium bike when the other cheaper bikes would work just fine .
I actually had a post about the TT250, but upon closer inspection, he is getting a Taotao TBR7 but he used the initials 'TT'.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Tags
china bike mc, dualsport, engine swap, honda, taotao 250