Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

2016 TaoTao ATA 125-D - No lights or Handle Bar Switch Functionality

I picked up this ATV, knowing someone messed with the wiring harness. I planned to replace the harness regardless, which I have done. I ordered the following:

- Complete Wiring Harness
- Left Handle Bar Switch (Start/Kill/Lights)
- Kill Switch
- Starter Relay
- CDI
- Regulator
- Rear tailight (LED)
- 6 pole stator

Everything is plugged as they should, everything is new. I cannot get anything to happen from the handle bar switch, no lights, no kill, no start.

- I can start the ATV by jumping the start relay with a screwdriver.
- I can only stop the ATV, by pulling the tether cord. The physical key does nothing as far as stopping the engine.

I have no lights, the brake lights also do not work by either pressing the foot brake or the hand brake.

The headlights will not turn on.

I assume next step is to run a multimeter or something to determine what is or what is not getting power, but thought I would check here if there is any known or common issue.

My search of the forum didn't turn up much. PartsKit service sucks and is of no help of course.......

The only thing I did not replace was the key switch, is it possible that is not allowing the handlebar switch to the function? I suppose I could "hotwire" the key switch and by pass it by making a small jumper.

Any other thoughts or feedback as I begin to troubleshoot this?

Last edited by eneusiis; 06-17-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #2

wiring

see my video below yours .. a couple below on wiring... you can figure stuff out.......... see youtube as well

Old 06-20-2020, 03:38 AM   #3

Something to note: the headlight won't work unless it is running. At least on the one I got for the grandkids.

If the atv is in neutral, the green light should go on when you turn the key. Bypass the key switch if it doesn't light. Even if the light is on, it won't start unless the handle bar switch is at the 'run' position.

Once started, can you shut it down with the handle bar switch? If not, there is an issue there as well.

Mine will only start by pressing the foot brake, and having the run switch (handle bar) and key switch in the correct position. Mine won't start by using the hand brake instead of the foot pedal.

The brake light should go on when pressing the pedal. If it doesn't, there's an issue that needs to be addressed. I've heard that even a burned out bulb can prevent starting. Last year, I had a pinched brake wire which kept the machine from starting.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 06-21-2020, 01:31 AM   #4

post some pics of the wiring and the components. If i had to guess i would say the safety switch on the brake handle not connected. But start with the key switch, make sure its working. Also on some models if the rear brake not connect it wont start.