Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #1

Tao Tao Rhino feedback

Have twin boys and they both had Coolster Mountopz 125's. They rode them for a couple years but they are about to turn 14 and have outgrown them. I've been looking at used bikes around my area, but it hard to come by something that isn't beat to crap. I'm also considering new Tao rhinos for each of them. Anyone have any feedback on them? Upgrade items that really help? I'm aware of more maintenance needed on China bikes. I've owned 4 so I'm not scared of that. Just curious people's thoughts on the rhino specifically.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #2

Thumbs Up

Just got mine. I will let you know.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #3

I've had my Rhino for a few years now and have used it as a working mule on our property. I'll give you an honest assessment of it.

The bad:
1- It's still a small-ish body on a larger frame. I'm 6' and currently about 230. I'm squished on it but it's dooable.

2- The Tao is still the most "old world" China bike, IMHO. Some may differ on this. I've not had experience with the new TBR7. Old World meaning there's still lots of Chinesium all over it, regarding body bolts, plastics that either need to be drilled or coerced into lining up holes. At least that's how mine was. If this has changed recently, please pipe in. You'll need to take care on assembly and possibly keep a drill handy.

3- The plastic seat pan is crap and will eventually break, if you get on and off it a lot, like I do, but again, I don't ride it on long rides. I mount it, ride an acre and dismount. Nor did the seat latch properly out of box or ever be really locked down and secure. The little metal horn on the front of the seat wallows around where it hits the frame. More Old World Chinesium.

4- Yes, the rear axle will be cocked a little. It's just the way it is, but has no effect on drive-ability. It's just an appearance annoyance.

5- If the front brakes are still drum, they are there for aesthetics, not actual function. I just went thru mine yesterday and they will be "fair" at best. They are more of a parking brake than an actual emergency stop.

The good:
1- The motor is your typical bullet-proof CG unit. I've hammered mine pulling, hauling and general work abuse and it keeps on ticking without a complaint. The clutch may chatter when super heated but it's never failed me, ever, regardless of how I've slipped it getting loads going. Speaking of which, they are manual clutch. Some like it, some don't.

2- All in all, the frame has dealt with everything I've tossed at it and not one weld has snapped or has anything bent.

3- For some reason, the Fisher-Price looking tire material has barely worn, even over granite and sandstone boulders. I'm shocked at this. I was really expecting them to chunk up pretty badly but no.

4- Yes, it wheelies. Even with my lard-ass on it.

5- It's very versatile and never complains, just like a good mule. I've screwed on ammo boxes for storage, mounted a winch, made a hitch, a pivoting beer holder, gun racks for hauling shovels, tools, and weedeaters, etc....

6- Value for the buck, it's very tough to beat, even with some of the quality drawbacks. I don't regret spending the grand I paid for it.

I hope this helps.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. That is very helpful. I'm. Also looking at the raptor or bull. They definitely seem nicer, my concern would be power. How much of step up from their 125's is the 169cc going to be

Old 05-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

It's a 230, it'll be a jump, but not gigantic. It more depends on how they're using the throttle, and their level of responsibility, than this jump in size, these are still relatively slow for 4 wheelers.