Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Tank Panniers...

Howdy,

In my quest to haul lots of stuff (groceries, hardware goods, a big lunch, rain gear, etc.) I have gone thru some different ideas.

My first was a foldable milk crate on behind the seat and a tank bag. Second I added panniers, but inexpensive ones because I wasn't sure how they would work out.

The panniers worked well, but are too small, and if the milk crate has very heavy stuff in it then it is too top-heavy causing handling issues.

So, I have removed the milk crate and plan on larger panniers (Nelson-Rigg dry spec, 27L each) once I build a rack (starting this weekend). I removed the tail bag and just have some tie downs available on the rear rack area (stock 4 bolt locations).

I didn't like the front plastics and the need to move my aux lights up higher pushed me to get rid of them. So, what to do with the ugly tank mounting locations for the plastics?

I came up with an improvised tank pannier. This is two tail packs put together...and I later found out that Wolfman actually made a similar set-up (now discontinued...and over $100). The packs are Ebay at $25. I only had to buy one more as it is the same one I bought for the tail back in November. No modification necessary if you don't include the two Velcro ties I used across the top between the two.

The critical factor was that the straps on these bags have male clip on one end and female on the other...so since they are rotated 180 degrees from each other the stock straps match point to point. I did two straps under the tank, one around the front, and the aforementioned Velcro ties across the top.

I think it turned out well. Used it tonight with locks and gloves on one side and my riding pants (that I only need when it is cold in the AM), on the other side. On my way home I had plenty of room for 2 bags of groceries in the rear panniers!

By the way, I am getting two more of these for my RXB150. One will go on the tail and one on the top of the gas tank. It fits on the tank because I removed the front plastics on this bike too. One bag can hold two Liter fuel bottles with some room to spare in between, the other I can do tools/tubes/tire irons/CO2 cartridge. What is great is I can use these for trail riding and then easily remove them for when I go to the bike park.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...72.m2749.l2649
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank panniers-2.jpg (88.3 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg tank panniers-4.jpg (88.3 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg tank panniers-3.jpg (55.6 KB, 426 views)

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 03-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #2

I like that setup. All last riding season I wore a backpack and I am currently trying to get some panniers to work. I like that tank bag setup, but I feel as though my plastics make me go faster....

Old 03-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

I understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nny216 View Post
I like that setup. All last riding season I wore a backpack and I am currently trying to get some panniers to work. I like that tank bag setup, but I feel as though my plastics make me go faster....
I understand...I don't know about faster....but it took me a while to decide to abandon the plastics because I actually felt that they blocked the wind from my knees in winter riding and I didn't like the ugly tank mounting points exposed. I did the backpack for a while, when my bike was bare and I needed to carry stuff. It is OK, but somehow seems restrictive.

In the end, practicality got the best of me. These are the ones I got and this is the best price out there (some are $65). It is a discontinued model from Coleman-Maddog. They work pretty nice, but already have some seams that are tearing out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Mad...-/283242900228

The only mounting issue was that the front strap went right under the seat, but the back strap got in the way of the rear sear mounting point (where the seat "hook" slides into the frame mounted "bar"). I just left that out and used the seat bolts to secure. The back of the seat is about 1/4" raised, but not very noticeable. I also put a 2"W x 8"L x 1/8"thick steel bar down from the left turn signal mount to hold the left bag out from the wheel.

I was worried about the exhaust melting the bags, so I liked these because they have a built in heat shield. Turns out I didn't need to worry because the muffler never gets that hot. I can lay my hand on it after 45 minutes of riding. You should check yours to see if it is the same.

Once I get my pannier rack built and mount the new Nelson-Rigg panniers, I will post it and explain how I built the frame. It really won't hold all of the weight, because the pannier straps going over the saddle will take some of it. It will mainly hold the bags square and upright and be a secondary attachment point.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 03-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #4

Here is my setup. Not as large as your bags, but I travel light
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0202201509_Burst01.jpg (85.4 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg 0202201508_Burst01.jpg (91.1 KB, 452 views)

Old 03-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #5

Looks nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Here is my setup. Not as large as your bags, but I travel light
I like the tool bag on the front fender and the large tank bag.

I thought about a large tail bag when I started this process and ended up with my folding milk crate. The crate made me realize that very much weight up there affects handling....like I almost got yanked over on a turn!

I am reserving that space for if/when I go cross-country. Sort of planning a 3 day (400 miles per day) trip on I-50 from Colorado to Ohio to visit family. That is when I will get a big tail pack like yours or something like that to put across the tail and panniers. Figure I will be going straight pretty much all the time, so the weight shift won't be a factor.

It sure is fun to figure these thing out!

I had the tank bags full today with my morning riding clothes and they held my knees off the tank a bit. I got used to it by the time I got home, but it was weird at first. Maybe I will consider a large tank bag like yours. What brand and model is it? I like the strap-on ones like yours, but all I seem to see lately are magnetic ones.

P.S. What part of Michigan are you from? I grew up in Findlay, Ohio and always went to the U.P. for summer vacation. Lots of great mild trail riding up there...all those fire roads every square mile. You can never get lost. My family started Michigan vacations in the early 60's, by first going to Houghton Lake, then in the 70's we switched to the U.P. in the Curtis area because my Dad thought Houghton was getting too crowded.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 03-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #6

Hi Goob, I bought the tank bag on Amazon. Has magnetic wings on each side with a strap that fits around the front of the tank. It also has a strap so you can carry it. The strap also works well to stuff under the gas cap that stops the cap from rattleing.
I'm from West Michigan and know both Houghton Lake and Curtis area. I plan on riding the UP this year on the Hawk. Good luck on your trip to Ohio!

Old 03-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #7

Say hello to the UP for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Hi Goob, I bought the tank bag on Amazon. Has magnetic wings on each side with a strap that fits around the front of the tank. It also has a strap so you can carry it. The strap also works well to stuff under the gas cap that stops the cap from rattleing.
I'm from West Michigan and know both Houghton Lake and Curtis area. I plan on riding the UP this year on the Hawk. Good luck on your trip to Ohio!
Say hello to the UP for me! And, enjoy the wild blueberries, Walleye, and many Pasties! I haven't been there since 1984, when I moved to Colorado. Miss it bunches.

My friend, who just happens to be visiting here in a couple of weeks, still owns his family cabin on South Lake Manistique. He is retired now and spends every summer at the cabin (a big relief from Houston where he lives).

The summer we graduated from HS, 1977, we took up our bikes (my Honda XL100 and his Yamaha DT100) and spent the whole month of August riding bikes, water skiing, fishing, and drinking beer (not necessarily in that order).

One place to go on your bike is Crisp Point. There is a light house and keepers house there. I first went with my parents in about 1964 in a 1961 Ford Country Squire and nearly got stuck on the narrow 2-rut sandy road. We had made a trip up from our cabin from Houghton. Last time was 1984 when I took some college buddies up. We were able to get inside he keepers house and look around...it was creepy, like they had just left, but they had been gone for over 35 years.

I always planned on taking my kids there for a couple of weeks, but it just never panned out. Now we are nearly empty nesters, and so I think I can get it together enough to at least make a trip with just my wife and I someday. Never seems like there is enough vacation time!

I'll look again on Amazon. Peace on ya!

Orion RXB 150XL