Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

VM26 enough for Piranha 212cc?

I have a Chinese-clone CBR150 w/ a 128cc Lifan engine. In stock trim I maxed out at 63 mph full-crouch. I purchased an aftermarket exhaust and an intake for a VM26 carb w/ a Chimera ram-air and K&N cone filter. Being totally new to bikes, I was going to try to coax what I could from the Lifan. Now that I know about aftermarket horizontal engines, I've settled on either the 190cc 2v or the 212cc 2v. Since I already have the VM26, can I use this carb. til I decide my final set-up? A neighbor told me the VM26 would be a big bottle-neck on one of the bigger engines. My goal is to hit 80mph going up hill to drive locally so I don't have to drive my diesel pick up everywhere. I weigh 200lbs. and was humiliated when I topped out at 63 and cars had to line up behind me on the freeway. It's only 1x or 2x lanes where I live in the Sierras. Most people drive 75-80 around here. Thanx ;-)
Ps- are the Kei Hin carbs. these engines ship with any good? When I ordered the Mikuni, it seemed to be such higher quality than the Kei Hin that came stick on my bike. My Lifan had a pz22, for the 190cc I believe they recommend the pz28.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:46 AM   #2

If you want that sort of performance with consistency (like going up and down hills), get a bigger bike. Even a 200cc version of this motor will have a hard time doing that speed, with the weight that it's coping with. I'd suggest getting something around 3-400ccs, minimum. That carb will work with that size motor, and honestly a PZ28 is actually a 24mm carb anyway.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #3

Thanks for keeping it legit. I'm probably better off getting a used CBR250 or 300 engine from Ebay. They're barely more in cost than the new horizontal engine.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

The CBR300 swapped Groms just make me giggle. It's remarkable how the aftermarket supports that project.
I presume that a CBR300 in your bike would be a fun project with similar results.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

I'd get a chassis with bigger wheels and a longer wheelbase. With something this small, if you get wind, are running at speed, and don't have a steering damper, it'll be a rather lively ride, but not in a good way. I'd just get something bigger to cruise at those speeds, there'll be less compromises, and it'll be safer.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
I'd get a chassis with bigger wheels and a longer wheelbase. With something this small, if you get wind, are running at speed, and don't have a steering damper, it'll be a rather lively ride, but not in a good way. I'd just get something bigger to cruise at those speeds, there'll be less compromises, and it'll be safer.

If I'm not mistaken, my frame is a clone of a cbr250. Because of the smaller engine, they equipped my bike with light brakes, springs, shocks, etc... That's why I'm GUESSING it's quite similar to a cbr150. With the smaller engine and a wet tank, I weigh-in at around 260lbs. Were you thinking this size when making your suggestion? My bike uses the exact size tires/rims of a cbr250. I'm definitely looking to upgrade my brakes and suspension to 250/300 specs. If I'm mistaken in any area here, please enlighten me. I've wasted enough money buying the wrong parts. Got a bunch of Grom parts that don't fit now, lol!

Old 02-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The CBR300 swapped Groms just make me giggle. It's remarkable how the aftermarket supports that project.
I presume that a CBR300 in your bike would be a fun project with similar results.
Thanks for the encouragement. I was always wrenching on my cars, stock is NEVER good enough! LOL. With my 1st bike, especially as small and simple as it is compared to 4x wheeled vehicles, I wish to dive in full bore! Some people are telling me just to concentrate on a Honda or Kawa. BORING! I want a bike you don't see everyday.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #8

Ah, I thought you had a Grom clone, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Ah, I thought you had a Grom clone, sorry about the misunderstanding.
Nothing to apologize for! I'm learning my bike is a whole hodge-podge of knock-off parts resembling Grom or CBR250. I believe most of the mechanical and suspension takes after the Grom, where as the wheels and frame seem to follow CBR dimensions. I'm still way lighter than a 250. Which is why I was tempted to stick to the Grom-type engine. On the other hand, if I have the room for it, I might as well fit the biggest engine I can!

https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...nt=30465839181

The Grom is too small for my taste! After I figure my "CBR/Grom-hybrid" out, I would like to look into one of these Boomkats! This is closer to what I wanted in the 1st place.

https://www.saferwholesale.com/125cc...dt-bd125-2.htm

A bike I can jump on to ride the few miles to town up here in the Sierra Nevadas. The speed limit is 70 up here. I'd like to be able to max out at 75 or 80 occasionally, when needed.