Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

Hawk 250 carb vs efi in NJ

Hi folks.

I have the carb hawk 250 right now, which is not legal in NJ for road use. That is to say, "Haosen" is not on their magic list of approved manufacturers. (As of Summer '19)

But the new EFI Hawk DLX claims to be 49 or 50 state legal. Does it come with a different manufacturer name on the paperwork? Or did Haosen work their way into FMVSS/DOT approval?

Reason I ask is not because I'm considering buying the new Hawk, but I'd take my current Vermont registration to NJ this year when the registration is up for renewal. Its more legal, lol.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Hi folks.

I have the carb hawk 250 right now, which is not legal in NJ for road use. That is to say, "Haosen" is not on their magic list of approved manufacturers. (As of Summer '19)

But the new EFI Hawk DLX claims to be 49 or 50 state legal. Does it come with a different manufacturer name on the paperwork? Or did Haosen work their way into FMVSS/DOT approval?

Reason I ask is not because I'm considering buying the new Hawk, but I'd take my current Vermont registration to NJ this year when the registration is up for renewal. Its more legal, lol.
The Hawk and Magician have been continuously certified as 'off road dirtbikes' according to the EPA on the off road list. However, the Hawk DLX is certified in 49 states as an 'On highway motorcycle' on a completely different list. Same manufacturer, but completely different models with different purposes (different as far as certification implies). NJ years ago according to NJ members (probably 10 years ago) were known for its DMV to tap into the federal on-highway list to either register a bike or deny it.

The DLXwas first certified sometime in 2019, but it appears on the 2020 list as well. OK, I am looking at the most current list right now and the 'Manufacturer Name' is 'Ricky Power Sports, LLC' It appears they wanted to move away from the Haosen name. Try that name.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #3

Ok. What list are you reading? I saw on and off road EPA lists that support what you say.

In NJ, the bike manufacturer and VIN needs to be found on this list if you want a street title/reg
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehi...ufacturers.pdf

I don't see Haosen or Ricky PS, nor do I see VIN beginning with L0W

So, I'm guessing the EFI hawks have different VIN prefixes? Looks like LC4 according to EPA on-road list.

Even so, I may give it a try to transfer my VT registration to NJ. This has worked countless times for me in the past with other vehicles (like honda, suzuki, etc) but this would be a real rabbit out of the hat. It SHOULDN'T work, but I am hopeful. If it's a no-go I'll just continue using my Vermont street registration. Never once had a problem with cops or insurance. I typically take bikes over to NJ during the first renewal period, though.

Last edited by bikeman; 02-18-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:47 PM   #4

According to the EPA/DOT list, the OEM Manufacture is 'Chongqing Liyang Jiayu Motorcycle Co., Ltd.' which is NOT on the NJ list. The 'Manufacturer Name is 'Ricky Power Sports, LLC' which is also not on the NJ list.

I will say, some of the names on the list bring back memories from old Chinariders back in the day!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #5

That list from 5/25/2018 is also outdated. You would need to check with the DMV to see if it has been added.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #6

It's the latest list despite the date on the document. They were able to confirm this in email. Also a dealer was able to confirm LC4 for vin of the EFI hawk.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
It's the latest list despite the date on the document. They were able to confirm this in email. Also a dealer was able to confirm LC4 for vin of the EFI hawk.
Does this mean you are out of luck for now?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #8

It pretty much confirms that the carbed hawk is still not street registerable in NJ.

Mine is registered in Vermont which makes it "street legal" but as a NJ resident its not exactly kosher. I'd rather be 100% legal, but I'll settle for the VT reg. It's cheaper anyway