Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #16

I thought disconnecting the battery and leaving it in the cold shed over the winter was ideal ?

That is my current scenario with my TBR7 ..Its winterized and lifted on a cinder block and the battery is sitting on a shelf ( no tender in sight )

Old 01-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
I thought disconnecting the battery and leaving it in the cold shed over the winter was ideal ?

That is my current scenario with my TBR7 ..Its winterized and lifted on a cinder block and the battery is sitting on a shelf ( no tender in sight )
a good name brand tender is the best, as it will keep the cells from freezing even in extreme cold, as well as keep the battery charged and maintained. second best is removing the battery and storing it somewhere cool and dry, and not sitting on concrete. the concrete can leach the water out of the battery and cause it to go bad, just like leaving a plastic gas can on concrete can absorb moisture into the ethanol. if you store a battery in a garage or shed with no tender, i recommend placing it on a piece of wood at the very least. this will insulate it from the concrete (same goes for your gas cans.)

Old 01-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #18

Solid point bogie.... I keep mine on a wood shelf and good call out on the gas can, I keep them on the floor of the garage sitting atop cardboard and a sheet of styro foam.

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #19

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/battery-park/

Old 01-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
i disagree with snopes, as a mechanic, i have personally had it happen. good battery left on cement will drain it, and increase the internal resistance... i dont care what snopes has said, when you own the equipment to test the theory and it says otherwise...

Old 01-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
i disagree with snopes, as a mechanic, i have personally had it happen. good battery left on cement will drain it, and increase the internal resistance... i dont care what snopes has said, when you own the equipment to test the theory and it says otherwise...
I have seen a concrete floor drain a lead acid battery over time as well however I all ways believed it to be a capacitave effect between the floor and the electrolytes and plates. Not from water molicules migrating through the plastic.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #22

https://www.cartalk.com/content/busi...loors-needs-be

How about Click & Clack as experts.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #23

What Interstate Battery has to say about it:

“The type of plastic (polypropylene) used in battery cases is a great electrical insulator. Also, tremendous technological improvements have been made in the seals around the battery posts and vent systems, which have virtually eliminated electrolyte seepage and migration. So, it’s OK to set or store your battery on concrete.”

Old 01-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #24

Myth unless your dealing with a battery that belongs in a museum. Any lead acid battery will go dead over time, all batteries slowly self discharge. If the battery has a cell with higher IR it will drain much faster, even when the battery seems to work fine. Pb batteries are better than nicad or nihm batteries but no where as good as Lithium when I come to self discharge. I still wouldn't store the battery directly on the floor just incase it leaks.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.