ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Riding with no Battery (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25265)

krat 01-20-2020 01:52 PM

Riding with no Battery

Got a TBR7, can I wire the positive and negative cable ends together, kick start and run this beast without damage?

I can't keep the battery charged in this weather. It lives outside and I can't keep a trickle charger on it. I have to pull the battery out to preserve it and it is a hassle.

franque 01-20-2020 01:56 PM

The engine might run (you could verify that by disconnecting the battery and checking for spark when you kick it), but you'd need a capacitor to keep the electronics working.

JerryHawk250 01-20-2020 02:14 PM

Connecting the positive and negative cables is a bad idea. Good way to short out the charging system. I'm pretty sure the TBR7 has an AC CDI. Should be able to run without the battery. Just tape up the positive cable so it doesn't short out against the frame or negative cable.

bogieboy 01-20-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 327036)
Connecting the positive and negative cables is a bad idea. Good way to short out the charging system. I'm pretty sure the TBR7 has an AC CDI. Should be able to run without the battery. Just tape up the positive cable so it doesn't short out against the frame or negative cable.

jerry, i wouldnt recommend running it with the battery out without something to absorb the load for the charging system. i see too many lawn mowers thru my shop with the same half wave rectifier style Voltage regulator burned out because of the same mentality. if the rectifier has nowhere to sink the voltage (I.E. a battery or capacitor) it will take all the heat in the diodes of the voltage gate, overheat, and render it useless...

even if you have a battery that doesnt hold a charge, its better than no battery for the charging system... it atleast has somewhere to sink the voltage... :hehe:

JerryHawk250 01-20-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 327043)
jerry, i wouldnt recommend running it with the battery out without something to absorb the load for the charging system. i see too many lawn mowers thru my shop with the same half wave rectifier style Voltage regulator burned out because of the same mentality. if the rectifier has nowhere to sink the voltage (I.E. a battery or capacitor) it will take all the heat in the diodes of the voltage gate, overheat, and render it useless...

even if you have a battery that doesnt hold a charge, its better than no battery for the charging system... it atleast has somewhere to sink the voltage... :hehe:

I agree, I don't recommend running without a battery. I guess I should rephrase what I said.

bogieboy 01-20-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 327044)
I agree, I don't recommend running without a battery. I guess I should rephrase what I said.

so, to sum up what Jerry and i are saying, you Can run it without the battery, but its NOT recommended....LOL :hehe::hehe::hehe:

franque 01-21-2020 05:37 AM

If you don't mind burning up your regulator... I would be interested in what might happen if the regulator was disconnected.

OneLeggedRider 01-21-2020 07:28 AM

The flywheel on my Scrambler 400 has been shaved for weight reduction, meaning the teeth for the electric starter have been milled off. But I still keep a battery in it just to keep the electrical system healthy.

And don't worry about preserving the stock POS battery, just leave it in there and kickstart it. If the battery's no good when the weather breaks it'll be a good opportunity to upgrade it.

bogieboy 01-21-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 327068)
If you don't mind burning up your regulator... I would be interested in what might happen if the regulator was disconnected.

if i recall correctly, with the regulator disconnected, you would not get anything that has to have 12v to work, i.e. lights, horn, etc.

Mudflap 01-21-2020 08:44 AM

I don't know how the TBR is wired but some bikes like my old Lifan 200 run perfectly well with no battery and everything but the electric starter works normally. I've run it for many hundreds of miles with no battery.

diyRdie 01-21-2020 12:54 PM

So I'm thinking your battery is just trash. I had similar problems with my stock batt.now Iam running g an ES-TZ10S battery from big box store and my bike can sit out in single digits weather for weeks and still crank strong n true.
https://i.ibb.co/DQ3P9nX/IMG-20191124-122559615.jpg

franque 01-21-2020 02:37 PM

Make sure you keep that thing on a tender, I saw more NEverStart batteries that were bad than anything else. I would just go to a discount battery and buy a Yuasa battery. Did it come factory with a -10 battery?

diyRdie 01-21-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 327103)
-10 battery?

Hu?

franque 01-22-2020 05:21 AM

-10, as in "10" sized battery. I didn't feel like writing out the whole name. If you didn't know, the number and S/BS or L-BS (the L is for reversed from standard terminal orientation) are basically the only relevant info for getting a battery replaced. The letters before the number are just brand indication.

RedCrowRides 01-29-2020 01:25 PM

I've had decent luck with my original chinese stock battery but i have kept it on a motorcycle trickle charger when not being ridden from day one - that said , the battery provided with most chinese bikes is , by default, the least expensive to produce made the cheapest way possible battery they can get their little chopsticks holding hands on ,
a year or two is the most you are likely to see under the best of conditions, extreme cold temps and/or heavy loads such as extra lighting etc and yeah that will be significantly reduced. I'm sure there are folks who will say " i got 5 years on muh original chinese battery" but that would be the rare exception to the rule and not the norm . In short get a battery tender designed for a motorcycle and / or plan on getting a better replacement battery especially if you are up North.