Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Lower front forks at triple tree

Any rule of thumb guidelines for lowering front forks at the triple tree ?

I was thinking of loosening and lowering about 2 inches on my 2019 TBR7

I lowered the adjustable rear shock, however it is still not enough.

This is my first bike and as a new rider, I do not like tippy toe at stop signs and red lights since it rides so tall.

I do not really ride off road, so that is not an issue.

Appreciate your opinions

Thanks
King

Old 01-30-2020, 01:35 AM   #2

2 inches is probably too much, you have to see how much travel/clearance you have in relation to the travel, otherwise you can bottom out the forks on the lower triple (very bad for them).

Honestly, it's a light bike, I'd suggest getting comfortable with one foot flat (if that's possible), because bikes are designed for the suspension geometry they're shipped with, and you'll alter rake & trail in a way that makes it less stable.

I put over 10k street miles in a year on a bike that was one foot on tiptoes, no problem, it's just a psychological barrier. I'd suggest looking up Gaston Rahier Paris-Dakar for some confidence building.

The rule of thumb I've discovered is that most bikes that are fun to ride are tall, so it's better to get used to it now than to handicap all of your future purchases by psychologically needing both feet to be flat.

Two feet flat is a psychological ideal that in my experience severely limits the fun people can have with motorcycles, as the only stuff with super low seat heights are cruisers, which aren't known for being that enthralling to ride.

Also, my guess is that within a couple of hundred miles on the thing, and the suspension will settle a little lower.

If you must take some height out, taking it out of the seat will have the smallest effect on the overall dynamics of the bike.

Last edited by franque; 01-30-2020 at 04:49 AM.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #3

Thank you sir... all solid points that I must respect.

Googling "Gaston Rahier Paris-Dakar" as we speak

Old 01-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #4

I second franque, I am 5'4" and I can get 2 tip-toes or 1 flat foot down on my bike. I've been riding for one year and this is my first bike. At first it was unsettling but it's second nature now. Just make sure them boots laces are tucked in or they will eventually get snagged when you go to put a foot down.