Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #1

Experienced guys recommend a 250?

Hi guys, first post here. I'm interested in getting a chinese 250 as a trail bike for my family's farm. I've been riding for 20 years, and raced MX for several years. I'm 6'3" 220lbs. I'm not looking to punish the thing, just trail riding, some hillclimbs, checking the fields etc, so my expectations are not that I can beat it like my KX 250 or 500. I'm guessing I'd need the full 21fx18r setup, although I really like the look of the Roketa Db36A with the 19x16. I'm not sure I'd really mind if the bike is a bit smaller, heck the Roketa website says the seat height is 36.2", so at least if its smaller it is still pretty tall. Parts availablity is a must, I can wrench very well, but I don't want to have to mickey-rig it to keep it running. I like how the roketa website has most of the parts available to purchase right from there, that seems comforting. It looks like the Sunl 250 is identical to the 36A, also the Hummer 250, so I'm guessing those parts could service all of those models. The larger Xmotos-viva and orions I have yet to find a good parts source. Could you guys recommend a good bike (MX styling), dealer with good prices and parts availability. I feel like I've been from one end of the net to the other and am getting a bit cross-eyed and not getting anywhere. Thanks,
Eric

Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #2

I have heard that the SunL, Roketa, and the Hummer, while looking nearly identical, are 3 different bikes. Not sure about that, but Roketa seems to have turned its business practice around, and has parts (I don't think they will sell them to you directly; I think you have to go through a dealer) that one will be ok. Hummers are popular, too, but the owners of those will need to chime in as to parts availability/place to get them (if the Roketa parts don't actually fit).

Now that there are more and more enduros coming out with full frames, and you don't want to do all-out riding, you might even consider an enduro bike with lights, or at least a headlight. Just something to consider, although that Hummer-style bike is just plain good looking.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #3

Thanks Culcune, there is so much info out there on the net but it's so spread out. I think I'm going to stick with the MX styled bikes for now, but the enduro bikes do look good too. Now I'm trying to cross reference what I've learned with the threads in the dealer forum to see who is on the up and up, and who is not. This chinese bike stuff seems like you really have to watch who you deal with. When you see threads about people getting shipped the wrong year, or model altogether it really makes you leary.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #4

Get something with full sized wheels, as they will allow log crossings better...

I too have been riding for many years, and used to MX, and I've been enjoying my Marshin MRF230 (Honda CRF230 Knock off)pretty well since I got it last December....a bit under powered compared to my Jap bikes I was used to riding, and the suspension is pretty weak, but fine for trail riding.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #5

Huck, I forgot about suggesting getting in touch with you. You have a pure dirt bike w/lights. Just out of curiosity, did your bike come with turn signals?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #6

Marshin

Huck, is there anywhere online to see the 230? Marshin's webpage only shows an enduro 200cc. Are parts available? Thanks, Eric

Old 05-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #7

I'd also go with the 21/18 wheels. Much easier/cheaper when replacing tires.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 05-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #8

Re: Marshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eness76
Huck, is there anywhere online to see the 230? Marshin's webpage only shows an enduro 200cc. Are parts available? Thanks, Eric
I went to the site, and they do not show this model They used to have this bike on Ebay all the time, so I took it for granted that it will not only be available forever, but the price would come down, and now they don't show it. I hope they still can get them!

EDIT: Here is the US site, which still shows the bike, but I would think at a lot less than their MSRP they have for it!

http://www.blueridgeimports.com/

This site also shows a similar bike for close to $3k MSRP 8O

http://www.diamousa.com/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #9

Yes, Mine came with full lighting, Hi-Low Headlight (and daytime running light), turn signals, and flashers, and tail / brake lights, and a horn, .

I did pull off all the rear lights first thing, as I knew they’d get busted trail riding…just a few bolts and unplugged a connector….and moved the front turn signals up into the holes in the front number plate to keep them from getting broke off.

Also front and rear disc brakes, electric start (no kick start) has a digital speedometer that reads in either KPH or MPH (But Odometer is in Km’s)

It uses a stock Honda CRF230 air filter and sprockets (520) and even the Honda plastics will fit on it, as will aftermarket springs, and pipes for a Honda CRF230.

The rear shock was pretty bad, so I picked up a used DR350S rear shock, and modded it to work on it, and then put a set of BBR springs in the front forks, opened up the exhaust and airbox a little, and bumped up the main jet from a 106 to a 114.

I still plan to gear it a little bit lower once I wear out the original chain….

It was on their website at blueridge....but I haven't checked for a while...I'll post some pics later..
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 05-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369
Yes, Mine came with full lighting, Hi-Low Headlight (and daytime running light), turn signals, and flashers, and tail / brake lights, and a horn
Hmmm. this bike is esentially street legal for Arizona......

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #11

The only thing it lacks is DOT approved tires...

And it is still on Blueridge imports website, it's on the second page of their MX bikes...it's labled as a 250 now....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #12

set

Well guys, I think I'm pretty set on a viva 250, the vx250pr with the 21x18 wheels. You guys convinced me on the larger set. Should handle more like I'm used to. Anybody have + or - to say about Killer Motorsports in TX? I've checked them out, and they are a member of the better business bureau, with only one (resolved) complaint since Jan07 when they opened.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #13

I would just make sure they have parts, and check to see if they look to be on the up and up (i.e., competent, knowledgeable staff who can answer your questions, etc) Once you get the bike, with this site, you can pretty much cover yourself even if the store closed up the next day, so whether they seem on the up and up could be irrelevant.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150