Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #1

Honda CL90

Soon to be a CL125!

My brother gave it to me. Engine is siezed, back wheel was siezed and front rolls okay. Gonna clean up the gunk in the brakes and it should be rolling fine.

Its pretty rusty. I have to figure out how to clean it up. Ill probably just ride it as is...

Gotta Figure out the wiring, so lets clean the tank while we figure things out. A shake with some nuts and bolts to knock things loose.

Cleaning with Hydrolosis (washing soda, water, metal rod[a stripped ct70 brake rod], and battery charger). This was my first time and I'm excited to see the results, Its not as intimidating as I used to think.

The new power plant, a 1P53FMI. I think the shift pattern is 1N234.

I have to figure out how to wire this up. Next two pictures are from the engine.

Harness from my brother that I will be using

I plugged the Y,Y,G,G/W, BRW/BLK into the engine. Is this right? I wanted to get things sorted before stuffing everything into place.

Thirty minutes in

One hour

Two Hours. Gonna leave it on for a few hours before I go to sleep and try after work. In between times, I wiped off all the goop and scrapped the sacrificial annode so the rust can have something better to adhere too. I'll change the solution tomorrow after work and get a nice photo of the after.

I need to get a battery and speedo. Does anyone know if the ebay/amazon speedos are plug and play?

Old 10-17-2019, 06:07 AM   #2

Good job. I had a CS90 with a CL exhaust in the early seventies. It was kind of a chick magnet in high school. I married the first girl I gave a ride to. She rides in my sidecar now.

As to a speedometer, consider either a front hub magnet/speed sensor type or a GPS unit. You’ll play hell trying to find a quality mechanical unit with the correct gear ratio.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #3

Drained the tank and its still super rusty. Changed the solution hoping that will help. Took a wirebrush/drill to take off some of the rust but had to get the angle grinder and flapper disc to take of the deep stuff. The rust in the battery box I don't know how to deal with. Will probably just leave it till I figure out a cheap/free solution. Im sure media blasting will take care of it fine.

Does how I wired up the engine to the harness look right?

Old 10-17-2019, 10:24 PM   #4

Can't help you with the wiring unless I have it in my hands. It's also been 48 years since I've touched a Honda 90. Don't be surprised if the tank is too far gone when you've finished with the electrolysis, you could end up with painted tin foil, though I hope not.

However, inquiring minds want to know what's under the Brooks saddle.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

I've had excellent results with a product that is much like CLR; I dumped a bunch in the tank with a handful of stainless screws and bolts and gave it a good shake. I placed it vertically for a day, then shook it again. I then placed it on the left side for a day... you get the idea. After a few days, I rinsed out the chemicals and poured some methyl hydrate inside and sloshed it around to displace the water. I dumped that out and then sloshed some Varsol inside to prevent flash rusting. Worked like a charm with no holes. I don't always get that lucky.

The pics are a little hard to see for me. If you upload directly to the forum, you can provide a larger size that we can work with. Here's a tutorial: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14422

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The pics are a little hard to see for me. If you upload directly to the forum, you can provide a larger size that we can work with. Here's a tutorial: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14422
Just click on the picture and it will enlarge.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #7

This may help: https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/dratv_2268_39080603

Tons of good info at DrATV.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Project took a back seat while during the last months. Snow added a bit to my laziness. Worked in it yesterday only too find out the motor does not bolt in. Cl90 and s90's are 3 bolt patterns and pit bikes are 2 bolt patterns.

Luckily there a fellow up in Canada doing the same swap to an s90 so I am waiting to hear back from him about getting the adapter plates made or getting the 3d print job.

This is how far off the dratv engine mount is off.

Worse case scenario I just swap the lifan into my ct90.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #9

My brother never gave me anything like this. That is a heck of a project, I am jealous to say the least.. good luck. I can't wait to see what happens.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #10

DrATV has a ton of good info and parts for just this type of swap. Have a look: http://dratv.com/adchtob.html

Old 12-12-2019, 01:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
DrATV has a ton of good info and parts for just this type of swap. Have a look: http://dratv.com/adchtob.html
I do have that adapter for the ct90. It’s a couple of inches short. I could trim the frame and have it work.