Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

I'm RICH !!!

Need a little help and I did fumble through some other threads via search, but I'm looking for more of a starting point.

Bone stock TBR7 with the exception of 2 carb tweaks:

#1 swapped\bumped up main jet to 100 ( from 88 stock ) - I think the pilot is 40 or 41 ..whatever the stock is.

#2 adjustable needle moved the clip 1 notch downward toward the point ( which you would say I "raised" it 1 notch )

air\fuel ratio is 2 turns out

Idle set to 1500 RPM via portable lawnmower tach

Township is 60 feet above sea level

Pulled the plug and she is black soot.. no pic needed, its rich, overall performance is great except in 1st gear while cruising to stop sign with no throttle she is a bit sputtery...no issues WOT, no hesitation, she runs perfect in my opinion.

Thoughts on what to adjust first ? Needle clip or air\fuel screw ?

Main should be fine at 100 in my opinion

Thanks

Old 10-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #2

No throttle sputtering is the idle mixture screw. 2 turns is likely too rich, back it off to 1.5 turns and go from there.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #3

Snap!! And I though you hit the lottery. I was going to hit you up for a little cash.

What Megadan said.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Snap!! And I though you hit the lottery. I was going to hit you up for a little cash.

What Megadan said.
I also thot you hit the lottery!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

I'm in Sales... grabbing attention is what I do !

Thank you all ..I shall start with the mixture screw..which is easier to muck with while on the bike... ( I think I can reach it with a stubby phillips )

Will report back

Old 10-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #6

Had me fooled too. Was fitting to get out the ole Tin cup n start beggin. Not too proud. Hell will beg for sex, why not for a new performance exhaust. The 2nd I'll actually get to enjoy for a longer duration. Now before I get accused of anything. I warn all of'm.
"Might not be any good, but at least it's over quick".

Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #7

McFail

When it comes to the females,

I always open with "I'm horrible in bed" ... then I gently whisper in their ear "but I'm great on the floor"

Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #8

Lol, king, ��,. Lets just agree, that we give'm the option of looking at it as "glass half full"

No-one ever gets to heaven , and they're one big regret is,.. Getting too much booty.!

Old 04-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #9

BUMP BACK UP

Carb Setting
- 100 main
- 1 shim slot down ( needle raised up 1 notch )
- Air\Fuel 1.5 out from bottom
- Idle 1500 RPMs set by portable tach

Still running rich ( based on black plug appearance - new NGK used to test )

Originally I was 2 turns on on Air\Fuel and back'd her down, still rich

Question is - do I continue focus on Air\Fuel screw? (maybe 1 turn out ) or ditch the shim back to stock ? (when I say shim, it is an adjustable needle , not actual shim)

Bike feels dialed in perfect for me, no choke needed at all even a 50 degree morning, I would hate to change it but spark plug tells a different story

Appreciate your views?

Old 04-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
BUMP BACK UP

Carb Setting
- 100 main

Question is - do I continue focus on Air\Fuel screw? (maybe 1 turn out ) or ditch the shim back to stock ? (when I say shim, it is an adjustable needle , not actual shim)

Bike feels dialed in perfect for me, no choke needed at all even a 50 degree morning, I would hate to change it but spark plug tells a different story

Appreciate your views?
Your jetting and adjustments would appear on the lean side of the spectrum compared to just about anyone on the site ?

Could it be a float level issue which is more pronounced at slower engine speeds? or a pilot jet that has either fallen out or is very loose ?

Old 04-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
BUMP BACK UP

Carb Setting
- 100 main

Appreciate your views?
i say if it feels good, ride it.... try a new plug, and do a full throttle "plug chop". make a a full throttle pull to redline and pull the clutch, hit the kill switch. see what the plug looks like. i would bet money it will show a hair lean with that 100 jet...

Old 04-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
Could it be a float level issue which is more pronounced at slower engine speeds? or a pilot jet that has either fallen out or is very loose ?
When I de-winterized last month, I did a full carb clean checked the jets etc. all is well. Float and pin appeared right ..in terms of nothing bizzarely off and if it were, would I not see overflow leak from the carb tube ?

I could try a plug chop, my first 2 plugs were resistor plugs ( with the stock resistor cap ) - I just put a new plug in 2 weeks ago (non resistor plug ).

Not sure if that would explain the darkness on the plug, I will snap a photo today and upload of the old plug and pull the most recent (non resistor plug ).

Again, the bike rides the best I have had it and I'm second guessing the richness based on old plug color and the fact that I never need choke ( shouldnt even a properly tuned bike - need a little choke on a 50 degree cold start morning ?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #13

The problem with just pulling the plug and going "look, it's rich" is that you have no idea what throttle position (aka Jet) is causing the condition. You just used all of them up to that point.

If you turned the idle mixture in half a turn with no change AND the bike needs no choke to start on a 50 degree day, you need to step down the pilot jet size. If it is a 40, drop to a 38 to start and dial in the idle mixture. If it is still a bit rich, try a 36.

Keep in mind that adjusting the pilot jet size may affect the rest of your jetting as well, so be prepared to possibly make adjustments elsewhere.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #14

What Dan said, but another factor is the VERY restrictive airbox on the TBR7. When we were dialing Jay's TBR7 carb in we incorrectly assumed it would be similar to my Hawk jetting. Nope, it took smaller jets because of reduced air flow. That being said, running a little rich isn't a bad thing as long as it's not fouling the plug. Turn the mixture screw to 1 turn out and see if ya like it any better.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 04-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #15

1Leg presents the easiest idea to go to 1 turn ( from 1.5)

Plug pics below

Plug on BOTTOM is 1 month old at 2 turns out A\F screw Plug on TOP is 1 week old at 1.5 turns out A\F screw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark plugs.jpg (89.9 KB, 500 views)