Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

It came today

Ordered it from TX Powersports last Saturday, showed up today. Got it preassembled and shipped to me that way. Pushed it into the garage. And was just looking it over. On their website it says it when you get the bike, all you have to do is hook up the battery and put some gas in it. The battery was already hooked up. Turned right on. Look in the tank there was a small amount of gas in there. I added just a little bit to it, it started right up. Didn’t stall. Of course I gave it a little bit of extra throttle when I first started it but shortly after that, 15 seconds or so, it idled and ran. Took it for a short spin down the street and back. It ran fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C985CB6-B853-47D6-B09D-AB61E61B9CB4.jpg (17.2 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg E18E92DD-4DCC-4CA9-B335-5D552D40889A.jpg (19.4 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg A9D249DA-211E-4D36-A56C-9BF3D09882E4.jpg (19.8 KB, 384 views)

Old 09-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Congratulations, and so the adventure begins.

I personally would pop the seat, gas tank and headlight off to check that all the electrical connectors are fully plugged in. But that would kinda be defeating the purpose of getting it pre-assembled.

But I would however change the oil and adjust the valves, and check to see that it doesn't have a resistor spark plug in it.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #3

congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Congratulations, and so the adventure begins.

I personally would pop the seat, gas tank and headlight off to check that all the electrical connectors are fully plugged in. But that would kinda be defeating the purpose of getting it pre-assembled.

But I would however change the oil and adjust the valves, and check to see that it doesn't have a resistor spark plug in it.
I agree with onelegged dude.....change oil and adjust the valves!

Congrats!!!! and Welcome here!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #4

Check eBay for:
Carb tune/sprocket/plug kit
Oil and valve adj tool set
Digital speedometer
Might suit you as a first going over n upgrade on the most common things that cause some issues.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #5

Changing oil tmrw... still gotta get my temps. Not sure if I can do the valve job. Getting plug tmrw too. Put handgaurds and mirrors on tonight.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #6

I’ve got a carburetor, and Jets delivered tomorrow. Helmet came yesterday, jacket, pants and gloves coming tomorrow too. Just gonna have to slow down on the spending for the moment hope it makes it till I can get the valve job done, and the sprocket put on.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #7

Hey Tom,

I think people get a little over ambitious shouting the immediate changes.

Oil change is pretty cheap and simple

17 tooth sprocket can wait

Valve adjustment can wait - be careful with that, I found out the hard way that this isn't as easy as everyone makes it sound. I watched quite a few Youtube videos and still had trouble and had to call in reinforcements and while people may pee and poo poo all over me for saying that, I am an automobile ace with a wrench and overall super handy, granted the TBR7 was my first bike... just saying I did not find the valve adjustment to be a walk in the park.

The biggest game changer for me and pretty cheap was the carb, change that main jet and adjust the fuel\air (also pretty cheap and simple ) and you will be a happy man.

Enjoy and be safe

Old 09-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #8

I like you kingofqueenz and what you post. But please do not steer him wrong. Both the oil change and the valve adjustment should be done BEFORE the bike is ever started for the first time. And there's nothing complicated about doing the valve adjustment, you don't even have to remove the tank. I made cousin Jay do it on his bike just to show him it was easy peezy and he's gonna do it again Thursday (broke in). And there's plenty of YouTube videos on it and it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes start to finish.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #9

I remain completely submissive to you 1Leg ..your word and experience trump mine all day.

I'm not sure its fair to say you need a valve adjustment before you even start the bike... if you say so ( fine ), I certainly did not do that and had no issues... did I do any damage ? likely not, although agreed tight valves will cause damage in a vehicle so I assume the same for a motorcycle.

The issue I had is after adjusting the tappet, once tightening the nut, it kept throwing off the adjustment and I got some clicking noises.

I would have the confidence all day to do it, if I had you standing over my shoulder.

May I ask : How often are you servicing your valves, checking lash?

Old 09-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

I would say checking valve clearance and not necessary adjusting the valves would be at the top of the list. It's too easy to pull the valve cover to check them and adjust if needed. If I had to guess probably 90% of these bikes come with the valves set too tight. I check my valves every time I do an oil change. The first couple of oil changes the valves needed adjustment. After that maybe every other oil change they were out of spec.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 09-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #11

It's a little tricky if you don't have the proper tool to hold the center tappet because it wants to turn in as you tighten the nut reducing the clearance you want. So what I do is set the tappet a little too loose (maybe an 1/8 turn back) then tighten and check. Usually within 2 or 3 tries you'll get it. Or purchase the proper tool from Tako.

Also both mine and Jay's came from the factory screwed down tight with zero lash. And what Jerry said about when to check them.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #12

Tako had sent me one of those tools with the feeler gauge. Makes it much easier to set the valves.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #13

I get the feeling we're about to be spammed..

Old 09-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #14

Thank you both!

Makes perfect sense and I stand corrected.

EBAY....here I come

Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #15

Sometimes we all get this phobia of just turning the key and going, and myself I look at a project and over analyze everything. By the time I research to near death of the subject, and ponder how I am to accomplish it, I could have it done many times. When we first got the BMS250, took me almost a week (maybe more)to assemble it, change oil, valves, locktite, etc. Could have been done in a day, or over the weekend. These china bikes and engines are so simple, with a few quirks here and there. AND as I was advised from one of the masters here, that we all have an inexpensive bike, we can enjoy without breaking the bank, and many of these bikes have many miles on them.

ok...I will admit that I have adjusted valves on several different small engines/machines in my past, and yes I admit I was intimidated to adjust the valves on our BMS. The procedure was simple. Then why was I intimidated? I really don't know, but I got it done.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Last edited by wedooit; 09-11-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: confession time