Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #16

Hawk229, congrats on the Honda CRF250L! Please feel free to start a new thread in "Other Brands" section.

http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121

I think you'd be doing the China Rider community a great service with your reports and impressions of your new CRF250L. Many here have been pondering upgrading and it would be nice to have the information at hand regarding your impressions of power delivery, handling, suspension and also mod cost and availability.

Nice price, by the way! Honda's are not cheap!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #17

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
It's not just the displacement that matters when comparing bike engines. Cylinder count, cylinder layout, port design, intake design, cam profiles, etc all come into play.

If we look at the 2010 CBR1000RR and compared it to my 2010 VFR1200F in terms of power (ignoring the massive weight difference of 140lbs, a lot of which is from the shaft drive system and engine) on paper, you would think they would be almost the same in terms of performance.

They are both rated at 175hp and 170hp from the factory respectively. Where they differ is in the torque output and how they deliver that power The CBR engine is a typical super sport bike, designed to give you everything it has in the top half of the power curve (6000rpm-13000rpm). Compared to my VFR1200 engine, which may make similar peak power numbers, redlines much sooner at 10,200 rpm, makes its peak at 10,000, but the torque curve is literally almost a flat line from 4000rpm to 10,000rpm, and even as low as 3000rpm it makes the same torque that the CBR peaks at 9200rpm.

When you ride these two bikes you notice these differences. My VFR will pull like a monsterous tractor in every gear at almost any RPM. It hits with such force that you better be prepared for it. The CBR in contrast, while it does pull decently, will feel almost gutless by comparison until those RPMs get well above 6000. Beyond that point the bike is an absolute missile.

Similar horspower, very different delivery.

Heck, look no further than the 650cc class of bikes to see something similar. The FZ07 and SV650 make oodles of torque at very low RPM when compared to the CB650F/R, which is a 650cc inline 4. The CB650 is essentially a retuned Super Sport 600, so it feels weak compared to the twin cylinders, but once you get past 8500, where the rest of those bikes peak, it keeps making more power, and it winds its self happily to 12,500rpm, making 20hp more than any of its competitors.
I understand ,I guess what I am saying is allow 10 years to go buy an we will see on average more 250cc to 400cc bikes on the road 2 pistons 1 piston,they will have more then enough power for the road ,heck we know most bikes are over powered for the road with speed limit of 55 to 65 an have been pretty much now more then ever .

with the prices soring that z400 I was referring too will look more appealing,yes efi is one of the biggest changes I like check out this video 4799.00 msrp with abs put a can on the bikes an you got the power of an older 4 cylinder bike say an 750 850 in 400 with abs for under 5k impressive to me

Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #18

sure yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how so many people are prone to bash Harley - Davidson

for the price of their Bikes ( and yes i agree some of them are stupidly over priced ,but not all of them by a long shot ) and then the subject such as in this thread comes up that the Honda CR450L is about 10k new - 10 k for a single cylinder 450?

There are several Models of far larger HD's that can be had for that money ( or less), yes they are two different styles of bike but in my mind unless it is some flavor of factory level race bike no 450 on this planet ought to cost 10k ,assuming it is not coated in diamonds and gold ,that is just ludicrous.the reality Honda and the other Makers have deluded people into thinking that price point is "normal" or "justified" just

makes it that much more egregious ,there is no way as many of those as Honda sells

that half that 10k asking price is not pure, unadulterated profit ,and imo that is what has hurt and continues to hurt Motorcycling as a hobby ,and for that matter what drove a lot of us to Chinabikes to begin with .
I agree the 450l is a full on dirt race bike for the road, high to maintain too,I wont dis Harley ever,other then 2016 they had to many bikes for sale an started going back to a bike that needs more maintance

I tend to think we have got past or near where the most cc the 1800cc the 150hp ,is not as high on peoples list ,now it more about comfort in an affordable price like that z400 yes I kinda a small bike for me,but most guys would just love an think they got great deal on that bike

yes I have seats concepts seat for the crf 250l coming to ,I think for the budget bikes an when we get a deal is well worth the $287.00 to be comfortable feel stable after many reviews 2 inches wider,with the pegs for me will be what I needed

Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk 229cc View Post
I understand ,I guess what I am saying is allow 10 years to go buy an we will see on average more 250cc to 400cc bikes on the road 2 pistons 1 piston,they will have more then enough power for the road ,heck we know most bikes are over powered for the road with speed limit of 55 to 65 an have been pretty much now more then ever .

with the prices soring that z400 I was referring too will look more appealing,yes efi is one of the biggest changes I like check out this video 4799.00 msrp with abs put a can on the bikes an you got the power of an older 4 cylinder bike say an 750 850 in 400 with abs for under 5k impressive to me
We are already there in terms of small bikes becoming a real tour de force. Bear in mind that the big overpowered bikes are the reason that the Z400 makes the power that it does. The big expensive bikes are the engineering playground to develop the designs and technology that makes its way down to the cheaper affordable models. That is part of the reason they are more expensive.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #20

sold the hawk $1100.00 not too bad ,I see the hawk efi gets put off another month the crf is a fun bike got the seat concepts an fmf installed 57mm pegs ,I got wind shield kinda made too fit them or the hawk spitfire would work on the hawk too. not sure I will use it yet an a skid plate not yet installed ,also some puppy grips
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190816_194650.jpg (105.1 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg 20190816_194716.jpg (103.2 KB, 344 views)

Old 08-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #21

[QUOTE=2LZ;314143]Hawk229, congrats on the Honda CRF250L! Please feel free to start a new thread in "Other Brands" section.

http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121

I think you'd be doing the China Rider community a great service with your reports and impressions of your new CRF250L. Many here have been pondering upgrading and it would be nice to have the information at hand regarding your impressions of power delivery, handling, suspension and also mod cost and availability.

as far as I can see they are all over the net ,craigs list ,a good used crf250l is an are great bikes ,with not a lot of mods to do like the hawk an many times can be had for cheap ,they will lose a lot of value new ,so used like mine ,or one with 300 mile to 3000 miles ,CL for $3200.00 2017 2200 miles ,is low ,the one thing though they lose value down to the 3k mark they stay there pretty much this is up north though where they pretty much go for more then down south ,if you need to get on the highway for short trip they do about 80 miles an hour but more comfortable at 55-65 mph,

The fmf makes the throttle reponce well worth the upgrade as well,the rear suspension is a bit soft ,but still not bad for some off road fun pro link ,there are videos all over youtube,showing the bike is as good for one as the other on road or off road ,the front inverted shocks are great,but not like the 450l,so for say 1k more then it may cost to get hawk where one wants it get a low miles crf ,they all need maint ,but so far it just fun to jump on the crf an feel the quality ,I do think on road will allways be more forgiving to things breaking ,off road will be harder on the bikes over time,being water cooled is good for slow travel too,efi great for cold starts too

Old 08-19-2019, 01:28 AM   #22

Dam mega, u shoulda been on the debate team in highschool. ....Or maybe u were.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:32 AM   #23

Either way, always knowledgeable, and point well made and well spoken.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:33 AM   #24

Dan 3:16

Old 08-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #25

time tells the story

what are we at church now hahahhaha ,we all just talk what we know I think the time itis comeing the smaller displaced bikes will be all over more then ever ,that z400 making 43hp for under 5k is where we are headed ,as far as how it holds up its new ,nut based on the ninja engine ,mods could move this over to to other brands section, an dan does know a lot about bikes for sure

the crf250l has proved itself I would like to see the crf300l ,but not the price tag,the best upgrade for ones money on the crf250l is the 13 tooth sproket as its low geared for a 6 speed though all the upgrades give it more power through the rev range ,1 gear is terrible but with the 13 tooth like 15.00 part is all some do ,some think its worse ,so its what one guy likes another does not,i am adding my ejk box soon wich should also improve response ,some lose a bit of top end some dont ,with my 275lbs I don't expect to be doing 80 ,some would say I am to big for the bike ,then I would have to be to big for the hawk too,its what works for us an what we like ,I don't need speed anymore

Old 08-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #26

Quote:
what are we at church now hahahhaha ,we all just talk what we know I think the time itis comeing the smaller displaced bikes will be all over more then ever ,that z400 making 43hp for under 5k is where we are headed ,as far as how it holds up its new ,nut based on the ninja engine ,mods could move this over to to other brands section, an dan does know a lot about bikes for sure

the crf250l has proved itself I would like to see the crf300l ,but not the price tag,the best upgrade for ones money on the crf250l is the 13 tooth sproket as its low geared for a 6 speed though all the upgrades give it more power through the rev range ,1 gear is terrible but with the 13 tooth like 15.00 part is all some do ,some think its worse ,so its what one guy likes another does not,i am adding my ejk box soon wich should also improve response ,some lose a bit of top end some dont ,with my 275lbs I don't expect to be doing 80 ,some would say I am to big for the bike ,then I would have to be to big for the hawk too,its what works for us an what we like ,I don't need speed anymore
Really enjoying your input on this Hawk 229. Thanks! Once I liquidate some more stock and get my duckslined up, I'd like to give Q a larger displacement partner, maybe a 3-400cc something.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFailbutter View Post
Dam mega, u shoulda been on the debate team in highschool. ....Or maybe u were.
All 4 years, and captain the last 2. I love a good debate/discussion.

Quote:

I think you will find that it is always down to the individual. Others who may use theirs on road more will like the extra tooth up front while those who primarily eat dirt will see it the other way.

In my vast experiences with Honda bikes, and in particular their fuel tuning, I think the EJK will be just the ticket when combined with that exhaust. Honda is notorious for being very lean at low rpm with all of their bikes.m This causes them to have a delayed feel in the throttle response when rolling on. I had my VFR flash tuned for this very reason, and have re-jetted almost every carbureted Honda I have owned.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #28

When I buy a dualsport (my first was a XT 500) I want a street legal dirtbike rather than a street bike with limited offroad capability, which will always govern my tire and gearing choices. But to each his own.

I'm already concerned about switching to the 13/33 gearing as I haven't test ridden it yet. Jay loved the difference as far as on road manners and being able to cruise comfortably at 60mph, and I'm sure I will too. But there's a hill out at the Reclaim that may not approve of the taller gearing, and alot of tight twisty trails where low speed power is almost a requirement. And yeah I know you can switch front sprockets without a whole lot of trouble, but because of the crappy Hawk swingarm it's not much fun readjusting the chain.

I think I just need a DRZ 400..

Old 08-24-2019, 11:23 PM   #29

I think I just need a DRZ 400.. [/QUOTE]

I think that would be a great choice for the better off road capability.the 450l if it were not so much money would be nice ,though I think couse its new ,we will see used ones for half the cost . I did see one for $6900.00 wich beats the $10.500 .most will get .if I was 25 still,i would just get a 250r for the woods only ,with my plan to only ride on occasion off road .this will work ,got my 13 tooth ready to try ,the drz another bike that can be found for very reasonable price for used ones a few years old,most all jap bikes after 2 years drop in value a lot then keep a good value .I just never pay retail ,but people do is why I bought mine from out of state an still saved a ton for extras ,some guys are paying $700.00 over retail wich just kills me ,money to burn I guess for some an others just got to have it.it kinda wrecks it for others when you got a guy willing to pay more for the 2020 model say.

yup Suzuki makes a nice bike too,i think the seat is like 37in an there still not efi.but they have allways made great carbs as well

Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #30

The funny thing is, people complain that the 450L is too expensive when it is only $600 more than the 450R, and it comes with a lot of upgrades/changes and bespoke parts. I think that speaks way more to the 450R being too expensive IMHO.