Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #1

Apollo DB-36 thread

Figured I'd start a thread for these bikes since to help anyone( mainly me) learn more about assembly, mods, upgrades, repairs and pics of the bike. I'll start with mine. I haven't removed the sticker covers yet. I'm digging the look with them on. I'm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190427_194922.jpg (104.3 KB, 3546 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190427_194258.jpg (101.3 KB, 3444 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190427_195302.jpg (104.2 KB, 2327 views)

Old 04-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #2

Some of my stuff in my Ebay store are fine for that bike.

Looks like a CRF based front brake and if so bigger is possible.

That exact bike I haven't seen in China and I would suggest the frame is their won version etc

Old 04-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

Razz Interesting!

I’ve been actually looking into the db 36 Deluxe, as is the one you have. I can’t seem to find reviews anywhere on the bike though! Only marketing sales for the model. I know firstly you should get the mikuni carb upgrade, but other than that, how is the bike doing stock? Reliable? Problems? What’s the branded bike it feels most similar to (ttr230?)? Top speed?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #4

I had a Hawk first. Compared to the Hawk the Apollo feels more solid. It doesn't have the vibration the Hawk had, but this bike comes with street tires and the Hawk had knobbies. I wanted to get an upgraded carb but many suggested seeing how the stock carb acts first. I'll hold off on the Mikuni until after the break in. I only have 4 miles on it so far. This thread is mainly what this is for. Thanks

Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #5

That bike looks mean! Love the new panels, looks, changes etc.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #6

Or is that stickers over the plastics? And it came street legal?
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 04-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #7

Nice bike. I have seen on here where someone has a thread started about these bikes. You will just have to do a search.

I have the dirt only version of your bike. I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the stock carb. It just takes a few minutes to warm up before you can ride without it spitting and popping. The power was fine. I rode it on several trail rides and had no problems. I decide to change the carb to a pumper for extra umph to get over trees and rocks etc. Here is the thread I started on it: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21082 . I can tell you it made a huge difference in the bike. NO warm up. Crank and go. All I kept thinking was WOW while riding it.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBryce View Post
I’ve been actually looking into the db 36 Deluxe, as is the one you have. I can’t seem to find reviews anywhere on the bike though! Only marketing sales for the model. I know firstly you should get the mikuni carb upgrade, but other than that, how is the bike doing stock? Reliable? Problems? What’s the branded bike it feels most similar to (ttr230?)? Top speed?
I had the bike on an open highway for 20 miles. If the speedometer is correct, it read 115KPH or roughly 65MPH. That was when the road was pretty flat. Where there was an incline, it dropped. I didn't downshift, so perhaps I could have had it back up to 115.

The bike felt solid and smooth on the road. Much more "grounded" than the Hawk (sorry guys; just my opinion). And, I don't think that's due to just the tires. Having owned both, I think this bike is more solidly built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
Or is that stickers over the plastics? And it came street legal?
Yes. My first MSO from "Manny" said "dirt bike". I was pissed. It took a while and several phone calls, but I finally got the correct one and it said "motorcycle."

One criticism on the bike is the front fork protectors. My must be tweaked a little. When I'm pushing the bike backwards in my garage, they rub the tire. I'd like to remove them and replace them with better quality...straight and thicker plastic.

I have ordered a new handlebar and grips, since my bars got bent and my left grip got a little shredded. I'll post pics when I install them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0486.jpg (97.4 KB, 2599 views)

Old 04-30-2019, 01:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBryce View Post
Wouldn’t bother with mikuni
Just tune stock carb is much the same

Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
I had a Hawk first. Compared to the Hawk the Apollo feels more solid. It doesn't have the vibration the Hawk had, but this bike comes with street tires and the Hawk had knobbies. I wanted to get an upgraded carb but many suggested seeing how the stock carb acts first. I'll hold off on the Mikuni until after the break in. I only have 4 miles on it so far. This thread is mainly what this is for. Thanks
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F303077495104

This n a couple other things would suit this bike
I would suggest tune stock carb n go from there
Upgrade prob the pumper carb would be better and the set has jets suitable for the keihin based pumper carb as well
Reduces waste
Just my opinion

Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 AM   #11

I just bought the bike a couple weeks ago and I love it I had problems with the carb and changed it with the mikuni carb and deleted the cat/airbox and put a cone air filter on the carb it runs great now....I'm in the process of getting rid of the guage and installing a vapor gauge because I suck at math and cant figure out how to change the guage cluster from kmh to mph I have 250 miles on mine now and love it had to adjust the chain a couple times and changed the oil before I rode it

Old 04-30-2019, 05:36 AM   #12

My plans for next week are
Install the vapor guage
Change the fork fluid (I weight 230 and the front forks seem to have alot of play in them when just pushing up and down on them)
Possible shave some foam from under the seat to get rid of the sharp edges that kill my thighs lol
Make a new battery box since the old one is attached to the air box
I would recommend getting a gel battery my battery was leaking acid all over my exaust and started corroding the exaust

Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfcody View Post
My plans for next week are
Install the vapor guage
Change the fork fluid (I weight 230 and the front forks seem to have alot of play in them when just pushing up and down on them)
Possible shave some foam from under the seat to get rid of the sharp edges that kill my thighs lol
Make a new battery box since the old one is attached to the air box
I would recommend getting a gel battery my battery was leaking acid all over my exaust and started corroding the exaust
1. Please post a pic of your cone/pod air filter setup. I too think the stock sirbox is pretty rertrictive. I’d like to see how your setup looks and can you say if you noticed a difference in performance after changing the air filter?

2. I weigh about the same as you and I agree that the front suspension seems a little soft. Please post how this goes and what weight oil you go with. When I changed the fork oil on my Enforcer I followed the procedure that I found on this forum and drained the oil from the screws located at the bottom of the fork. I’ve since read on here that draining it that way is incorrect. And, I had one hell of a time getting that screw on one side to tighten back up. I eventually got it, but it was a total PITA.

So, please keep us posted on your procedure, oil weight, spacers used, etc. pics would be awesome, but I understand it’s a pain to stop and take pictures when you’re working on it.

3. You mentioned a “vapor gauge”. What is that?

4. Stock battery sucks. I replaced mine right away. I researched batteries quite a bit before buying a new one. I wouldn’t recommend a gel battery. Get an AGM. I originally leaned towards a gel battery because it’s sealed and I was concerned with the stock battery leaking. The gel batteries do not have as much CCA as the AGM batteries. The AGM batteries have higher CCA, are also sealed, and are a tad less $ than gel batteries. T

One good thing is that since you don’t have the stock battery box, the skies the limit in options for you. I was constrained by the stock battery box, for which there are a very limited number of batteries that will fit (I was quite surprised by this). But, without that size restriction, it opens the door for so many batteries that will fit.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #14

I just love this bike. Hopefully we CA folks will be able to share someday.

Regarding upgrades, etc... HotRod, I agree with break it in first and then see how it runs. NZ has a point about possibly tuning the stock carb. The problem is some of the PZ30's are ok, most I've run across are garbage. The TT250's was a really nice carb and didn't need changing (tho I did) but the one's on my X-Moto and Tao Tao's have been junk. Really poor castings, sealed bowls, loctited slide caps, etc... Plus, until recently, Keihin jets were no en casa. That was the main reason for the slew of Mikuni swaps here. Available jetting.

I got in the habit of running pod filters (any 42mm opening will work) because the early CB filters were junk. Seriously, a small piece of foam and nothing more.

Looking forward to following this thread and drooling over your bike! Congrats!!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #15

I wouldn't mind a MPH gauge rather than KMH. Also a gear indicator. Which vapor gauge are you getting?

My Apollo was delivered with the acid container damaged so I couldn't use the battery.
Which AGM battery are you running Ski_rush?