Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #1

Apollo db 36 250cc Dot driving 55 then just dies

On my way to work today I was driving around 55-60 and came to a stop but right before the stop with the clutch pulled in bike dies would not start back up turned choke on and it fired up then when I started getting speed I slowly turned the off and it ran like normal....think it could be vapor locking the gas tank or the carb

Old 04-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfcody View Post
On my way to work today I was driving around 55-60 and came to a stop but right before the stop with the clutch pulled in bike dies would not start back up turned choke on and it fired up then when I started getting speed I slowly turned the off and it ran like normal....think it could be vapor locking the gas tank or the carb
I watched a YouTube video where the guy had the db36 and he described something similar to what you’re saying. Check him out on YouTube. He turned the regular db36 street legal. He said he drill I small hole in the gas cap to fix it. This is one reason to get the plastic tank since it you’d buy a vented gas cap got it.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:29 AM   #3

I got a really nice ATC 250SX for $50 because of that same reason. It would run for 10 minutes and then shut off and the guy was just sick of it. I paid him and then asked for a hammer and a nail, put a tiny weep hole in the tank in front of the cap and rode it all the way home. Did the same with my '74 K20. Kid had bought a new distributor for it and couldn't get it to run right. I paid him $800 and asked for a wrench. Ofcourse the distributor was out 180°, fired it up and it ran perfectly, kid wanted to keep it then but I already had the signed title in my hand. Maybe not the nicest thing to do but I paid thousands of dollars for my mechanical knowledge and I'm not gonna run around fixing things for free.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 AM   #4

This may sound sketchy but I'm going to ride home today with my gas cap unlocked and just barely sitting on it and see what happens

Old 04-22-2019, 04:57 AM   #5

That may fix your problem. Seen it happen on small engines numerous times. Someone looses the gas cap. They pick up a lid off a milk jug or whatever. I've seen stock caps just quit venting. No vent..no air..no gas.

Could be pinched fuel line also. Just for kicks-make sure you have gas and the valve is turned to "on".

Old 04-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #6

I filled it up right before I went to work and the valve was the first thing i looked at lol and I'm about to leave so hopefully my 10 min ride home take 10 min and not a truck ride home lol

Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #7

So I made it home and it seemed like it might be running a little lean I'm going to take the carb apart today and clean it out

Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #8

Ok so after attempting to take the carb apart and slotting all the screws I could not for the life of me take the fuel adjustment cover off and ended up braking it lol ordered a new carb and jets

Old 04-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #9

How many miles on your bike? Would you suggest changing the carb right away or does it run fine out the box?

Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
How many miles on your bike? Would you suggest changing the carb right away or does it run fine out the box?
IMO and many who have bought "My Kit" are fine tuning the stock carb.
see my eBay link? search in my products for the Hawk 250 and other tune kit.

It is a good option, not the only option - there are several routes you can take to tune your bike:

1: Get screws n a few jets maybe drill pilot jet, shim needle. Cheapest maybe but a bit of drama to get what you need possibly.

2: My kit that has a full carb ki(srews adj needle and 5 main jet sizes), optional pilot jets or drill to enlarge the pilot jet if desired, 17T front sprocket with hardware, NGK spark plug & a Hawk type air filter, well priced and can cover more things the option 1 or 3

3: Buy another Carb be it Mikuni clone or PZ30 with or without pumper. Buy genuine Mikuni jets as needed (a well tuned Minkuni carb performs a tiny bit better then a well tuned stock carb it seems) This prob the most expensive and you be the judge if this extra cost is worth or wanted.

It really is up to the individual what they want or want to believe or learn as my thoughts are the kit is a good starter and IF YOU really are into it you COULD use some parts from the kit to upgrade to a BETTER PZ30B pumper carb. It can flow on to the next.
I suspect most guys just tune it "good enough to run fine, get on with riding and having fun.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #11

Honestly I'm no professional with carbs and bikes I'd say it runs fine out of the box but I've had no problems out of it really I check everybody and marked them all with white out I'm about to start making you tube videos of it soon and I only have 150 miles on it