Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Spent some more on the Hawk. Got heavy duty tubes for it. It was running way too lean after putting on the performance exhaust pipe so I took the mixture screw from 1.5 to 2.25 turns out and swapped the 110 main jet for a 115.

It's starting, idling and running better now but I think it's still a little lean and I haven't opened up the airbox yet. So I bought .45mm drill bits for the pilot jet. If I'm not happy with that I'm just gonna get a better carb.

Also got another helmet and am shopping for a mesh motorcycle jacket for summer riding.

$64 helmet bought on line...
you don't value you head to highly ?
most parts of the body can be repaired , brain damage is for ever..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
$64 helmet bought on line...
you don't value you head to highly ?
most parts of the body can be repaired , brain damage is for ever..

You're right, even though it's DOT certified I probably shouldn't trust it. I'll just go back to wearing the cheap safety glasses and hope for the best.. Hahaha!

Old 04-13-2019, 03:17 AM   #18

hmmm mine was $10 and said for novelty use only!
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #19

I have a dumb question but I bought some handle bar sliders/weights and I couldn't figure out how to get the bolted on I figure they would bolt on however the bark Buster's do just wondered where the bolt goes into on the the handle bar.
Thanks
Fantastic Moto

2015 Green Hawk(Air box opened,Alarm Disabled, China Mikunni carb,105 main jet) (SOLD)

2018 Black Hawk(Air Box opened, Alarm Disabled,China Mikunni Carb,110 Main Jet,Cut out Cat,)

Quote:
When Life Gets You Down, Remember it's one down the rest are all up.
Check me out on YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKu...EEviZ7IjMmLlEw

Old 04-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #20

The helmet worked out great, I wore it for hours yesterday on a 140 mile ride. It fits snugly and the outer visor really blocks out the wind and didn't distort my vision, didn't try the inner visor yet.

The gas gauge started working after I fully filled the tank, but reads empty when you get to half a tank which lead to an unnecessary fuel stop lol.

The bike actually broke in some during the ride. By the end of the day it ran better and stronger and went 10mph faster. And finding neutral was easier.

Still not happy with the carb, seems lean and snappy up to 3/4 throttle and boggy from 3/4 to wide open throttle. Currently I'm at 2.25 turns out on the mixture screw, 2 washers on the needle and a 115 main jet. So if the rain lets up today I'm gonna drill the pilot to .45mm, take the mixture back to 1.5 turns out and may go back to the 110 main jet if it still feels boggy after I do the airbox mod. Always tinkering lol.

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 10-30-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Still not happy with the carb, seems lean and snappy up to 3/4 throttle and boggy from 3/4 to wide open throttle. Currently I'm at 2.25 turns out on the mixture screw, 2 washers on the needle and a 115 main jet. So if the rain lets up today I'm gonna drill the pilot to .45mm, take the mixture back to 1.5 turns out and may go back to the 110 main jet if it still feels boggy after I do the airbox mod. Always tinkering lol.
I would do one jet at a time. In this case, without the airbox mod or intake of some kind, I would go back to a 110. I am still surprised you need to turn out the idle mixture so much on the stock pilot jet. I am less than 2 turns out on mine and it fires up immediately when cold from full or half choke (depending on air temp).
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I would do one jet at a time. In this case, without the airbox mod or intake of some kind, I would go back to a 110. I am still surprised you need to turn out the idle mixture so much on the stock pilot jet. I am less than 2 turns out on mine and it fires up immediately when cold from full or half choke (depending on air temp).
Even at 70° I have to full choke it when it's cold and half choke it if I let it sit very long. I'm gonna do the airbox first and test ride it to see if the top end is better, then go from there.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #23

Did the airbox mod yesterday but there was no discernible difference when I test rode it. On a flat and straight stretch of road down by the river I can attain and maintain 67mph at 3/4 throttle. At wide open throttle I can only achieve 62mph and it misses and bogs. And it's more pronounced on a steep hill in any of the top 3 gears. It pulls strong and hard at 3/4, at WOT it bogs, loses speed and you have to downshift. Clearly the 115 main jet is too big. I'm gonna try the 110 and see how it performs, but I still think the pilot is too small and needs to be drilled.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #24

Before the head work I was running a 120 main on the stock PZ30 with the gutted stock exhaust and air box mod in the cool months and 115 in the summer which was a tad lean. The 110 may be on the lean side. Hope you get it sorted out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #25

Just a suggestion, since you are still running the stock intake. If that intake tube has a Kink in it, use a hose clamp and/or strong zip ties to try and get the kink out of it. I noticed a distinct difference with my first Hawk after having made that little adjustment. Mine was pretty severe and was basically reducing the intake size down by half.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Just a suggestion, since you are still running the stock intake. If that intake tube has a Kink in it, use a hose clamp and/or strong zip ties to try and get the kink out of it. I noticed a distinct difference with my first Hawk after having made that little adjustment. Mine was pretty severe and was basically reducing the intake size down by half.
I'll slap a clamp on there and see if it makes a difference. Hate not being able to run it wide open.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #27

Mine had a pretty bad kink too. Definitely noticed the difference after switching to pod filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190417_145434.jpg (101.3 KB, 92 views)

1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim

Old 04-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #28

Not the problem. I warmed it up and took the intake completely off the carb. It may have ran slightly better at WOT, but not much. Still bogging after 3/4 throttle.

Also I know from working on the flow bench you can take a round orifice and compress it to 60% of it's diameter and not really affect flow. If anything it might affect turbulence which could be bad on the intake side of the venturi and may be beneficial on the head side.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Not the problem. I warmed it up and took the intake completely off the carb. It may have ran slightly better at WOT, but not much. Still bogging after 3/4 throttle.

Also I know from working on the flow bench you can take a round orifice and compress it to 60% of it's diameter and not really affect flow. If anything it might affect turbulence which could be bad on the intake side of the venturi and may be beneficial on the head side.
Was worth a shot. Mine was extremely caved in about halfway up the bend, so it may have been worse than what yours was. They all seem to be a bit different. If the 110 seems a touch lean and the 115 is definitely too rich, then it might be worth looking at a 112.5 jet.

If you do drill the stock pilot I am rather curious as to your results. Comparing our two builds is like apples to oranges obviously, but there are a lot of other factors at play (head, much larger main jet< etc). I tinkered more with my idle mixture and idle speed today and I think I finally found my happy place just shy of 2 turns out. Cold starts with no choke and holds a dead steady idle.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #30

This isn't my first rodeo and I'm sure it will be resolved soon. I actually made a generator run using a plastic citrus fertilizer sprinkler for 6 months. My worst carb was experience was replacing a motor in my '76 CJ 5 with a newer emissions motor. Seemed like no matter what I did it wasn't right, but I eventually figured that out too.

Drilling the pilot is scary and it's something we were taught never to do in school. But considering we can't get a bigger pilot which I know it needs.. And old school racers did it on the regular. They even bored the venturi though so I wonder how much they understood about fluid dynamics lol.

I'm thinking drill the pilot to.45mm, and go to the 110 main jet. If that's not satisfactory remove the 2 washers from the needle and turn the mixture down to 1.25 turns out. If that doesn't work I'll simply replace it with a nicer carb. I'm not rich but parts for these things cost almost nothing. Ask me how much I got in my Scrambler or how much I paid for the UFO carb. Big difference.