Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #1

Oil in airbox!?

So i was putting in a new filter that came in a kit for my i got from nzbrake.. and i saw a puddle of oil sitting in the bottom of the airbox! bike runs fine.. what could cause this? i know i put a little too much oil in there my last oil change but i didnt think it would wind up in the airbox.. help lol

Old 04-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #2

There ya go... too much oil.... drain some and recheck oil level ...
2004 Isuzu Rodeo
1998 Kia Sportage 4x4
2004 Toyota Tundra
2016 Ford Escape

Guitars

1970 Gibson SG mint Condition
2005 Epiphone white Custom SG Les Paul L/New
Fender Banjo New Condition
BC Rich Bitch - Like New\
3 Jay Turser SG Good Condition

Amps

Marshall vs100 Good Condition
Acoustic 261 very good condition
Boss GT-6 Pedal effects Like New

Old 04-10-2019, 11:30 PM   #3

It is going to happen regardless of oil level, but too much oil can exacerbate the issue. All crankcase breather systems end up with a little oil in them as some of the oil gets turned into essentially a mist that condenses on whatever it comes in contact with.

Take that and combine it with a breather tube that makes a 90 degree bend and runs flat to the airbox and that amplifies the issue.

There are a few tips and tricks out there to help alleviate the problem. Simple airbox modifications, PCV valves, etc. I have a breather filter on the end of a hose mounted more vertically with a small oil/water separator from harbor freight mounted between the engine and said filter. An idea I borrowed from the Grom guys.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 04-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

thank you guys! could the oil in the airbox also cause it to sputter full throttle?

Old 04-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audihuff View Post
thank you guys! could the oil in the airbox also cause it to sputter full throttle?
Only if the paper filter got oil soaked, which would reduce its ability to pass air through it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

it was dripping wet! there was about 1/2 a cup of oil in the bottom! i appreciate the help megadan! i just subscribed to oddballproformance as well!!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #7

there is a cover that goes on the diamond shaped part there in the bottom on the right side. chinaman decided we really didnt need it so it wasnt included. the cover keeps it contained and makes it change direct a couple times so the mist hits the side walls so that it doesnt make it to the filter. simple to make. takes one small screw and a hole in it to go over the small post. the post is there for a reason so dont cut it off as some did. once the screw is in the hole the cover cant come up high enough to get over the post. a lot of oil like that is usually from overfilling as per the manual 1.6 quarts! wrong!! 1 quart will do ya.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
there is a cover that goes on the diamond shaped part there in the bottom on the right side. chinaman decided we really didnt need it so it wasnt included. the cover keeps it contained and makes it change direct a couple times so the mist hits the side walls so that it doesnt make it to the filter. simple to make. takes one small screw and a hole in it to go over the small post. the post is there for a reason so dont cut it off as some did. once the screw is in the hole the cover cant come up high enough to get over the post. a lot of oil like that is usually from overfilling as per the manual 1.6 quarts! wrong!! 1 quart will do ya.
And sense Tim is so dang lazy I went and found his thread on it.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18629
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #9

I keep seeing people posting water in their airbox. I live in the desert but I am surprised to see my Bashan's crank case ventilation filled with water/oil also. Got a good view of it with my swingarm off.

1. Crank case
2. Air box
3. Clear tube filled with liquid

Do I need to drain this thing it looks pretty filled after ~500 miles.

Guess there is already info on this! OCS http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16518
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CrankCaseVent.jpg (96.5 KB, 476 views)

Keihin PZ30 Main-115 Pilot-38 Needle-1Washer Fuel Mixture-1/2

BSR Chronicles - "Project leads to more projects!"

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #10

My Hawk doesn't have an issue with this, at all. But Jay's TBR7 does badly, even after just a 4 hour ride. But this isn't my first rodeo. I would find a longer hose and route it straight up to the top of the frame, zip tie it there and then run it back down to the airbox. I'm not guaranteeing this will stop everything, but it will be much better than the stock horizontal line.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:54 AM   #11

After much soul struggle... I ended up with... CSC's Oil Contaminant Separator (OCS) setup.

Plan A was to use the extra secondary air injection tube and run crank case vent up and then down into airbox. There is an easily accessible drain under the OEM airbox.

Plan B was to leave as is and there should be less fluid collection in the clear tube.

Plan C is to correct the OCS orientation, with opening of the foam filter facing airbox. (filter shape outlined in red).

Reason to go with "C" is I had experienced increasing oil level in the crank case. Now the bike is broke in it seems to be better, but I always wondered there are gas/water condensation going into oil. I am also experiencing clutch slippage issues with Rotella T4.

When I removed the collection clear tube it was damp but empty of liquid.

I am now tuning the carb and don't need another fuel vapor variable. Also would like to avoid having combustion wastes going into the airbox/carburetor.

Downside of this setup is more maintenance work...

Upside is I have gained more knowledge from China bikes then all my previous Japanese bikes combined
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OCS.jpg (95.3 KB, 497 views)

Keihin PZ30 Main-115 Pilot-38 Needle-1Washer Fuel Mixture-1/2

BSR Chronicles - "Project leads to more projects!"

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Old 09-18-2019, 04:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AresROC View Post
After much soul struggle... I ended up with... CSC's Oil Contaminant Separator (OCS) setup.

Plan A was to use the extra secondary air injection tube and run crank case vent up and then down into airbox. There is an easily accessible drain under the OEM airbox.

Plan B was to leave as is and there should be less fluid collection in the clear tube.

Plan C is to correct the OCS orientation, with opening of the foam filter facing airbox. (filter shape outlined in red).

Reason to go with "C" is I had experienced increasing oil level in the crank case. Now the bike is broke in it seems to be better, but I always wondered there are gas/water condensation going into oil. I am also experiencing clutch slippage issues with Rotella T4.

When I removed the collection clear tube it was damp but empty of liquid.

I am now tuning the carb and don't need another fuel vapor variable. Also would like to avoid having combustion wastes going into the airbox/carburetor.

Downside of this setup is more maintenance work...

Upside is I have gained more knowledge from China bikes then all my previous Japanese bikes combined
The big long thing on right side lower of your photo is the air injection!?
That can be blocked off - I think that is what I see but photo unclear