Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #1

Hawk Digital Speedometer/Cluster

Hi all,

I've sourced some digital plug and play (nearly) speedometers for the Hawk. I was on a waiting list for the speedo motocheez has on his website (hawkclusters@gmail.com) for about a month. I know it's the middle of winter, but I wanted a project!

Installation was simple: unplug and remove the old cluster and speed sensor. Mount the new speedo and speed sensor (sensor will fit stock sensor perfectly-no need to mount magnets); plug in the digital speed sensor, plug into the stock wiring (this will give you everything you currently have available on the stock cluster). Then run the wires for the gear indicators and RPM sensor to the wiring harness by the battery. These wires are all clearly marked.

I've attached a picture of the cluster for reference. If you're interested in buying one, please let me know.

$90, includes ground shipping to your door-lower 48 states.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (17.5 KB, 798 views)

Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #2

Whats different than ordering from Matt? Is his modular or something?

Old 01-21-2019, 01:39 AM   #3

Another supplier! Getting busy with us 3 lol!

Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allinarush View Post
I haven't seen Matt's (aside from pictures). But he seems to have a hard time keeping them in stock, so I thought I would offer an alternative.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #5

replacing the mechanical unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChina View Post
Hi all,

I've sourced some digital plug and play (nearly) speedometers for the Hawk. I was on a waiting list for the speedo motocheez has on his website (hawkclusters@gmail.com) for about a month. I know it's the middle of winter, but I wanted a project!

Installation was simple: unplug and remove the old cluster and speed sensor. Mount the new speedo and speed sensor (sensor will fit stock sensor perfectly-no need to mount magnets); plug in the digital speed sensor, plug into the stock wiring (this will give you everything you currently have available on the stock cluster). Then run the wires for the gear indicators and RPM sensor to the wiring harness by the battery. These wires are all clearly marked.

I've attached a picture of the cluster for reference. If you're interested in buying one, please let me know.

$90, includes ground shipping to your door-lower 48 states.

My TBR7 has the mechanical speedo assy ( looks like the older hawk unit ). does this kit have everything to convert mine over ? Thanks

Old 01-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allinarush View Post
I would consider the biggest difference would be speedo calibration. Matt took the time to work with his supplier to have the calibration specifically setup for the Hawk. This makes the speedometer extremely accurate. Both of mine have been dead on accurate at 60mph with the stock tire size. Aside from the tach, the biggest reason a lot of us bought his cluster was to have a more accurate speedo since the stock one is hilariously inaccurate.

That doesn't mean these will or will not be, but that is one thing I know for certain about the cluster that Matt offers.

Other than that, Matt is a stand up guy that really stands behind what he sells. Not to say these other vendors now offering them are not, because I haven't personally bought from them, but that I know Matt is for certain.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #7

Mine is adjustable calibration.
You enter in the CM of the outer circumference of the wheel and can adjust as needed so truly universal.
Also has a volt gauge and changeable color LCD.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:16 AM   #8

pilot jets?
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
My TBR7 has the mechanical speedo assy ( looks like the older hawk unit ). does this kit have everything to convert mine over ? Thanks
My hawk also had a mechanical hookup running from the speedo to the wheel. This unit comes with a replacement cable (photo attached). It's a perfect fit for the wheel and plugs into the back of the digital speedometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 (1).jpg (52.4 KB, 678 views)

Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I would consider the biggest difference would be speedo calibration. Matt took the time to work with his supplier to have the calibration specifically setup for the Hawk. This makes the speedometer extremely accurate. Both of mine have been dead on accurate at 60mph with the stock tire size. Aside from the tach, the biggest reason a lot of us bought his cluster was to have a more accurate speedo since the stock one is hilariously inaccurate.

That doesn't mean these will or will not be, but that is one thing I know for certain about the cluster that Matt offers.

Other than that, Matt is a stand up guy that really stands behind what he sells. Not to say these other vendors now offering them are not, because I haven't personally bought from them, but that I know Matt is for certain.
Thanks, Megadan. Those are very good points. I have not had the opportunity to verify the accuracy of the speedometer (currently 6" of snow on the ground and frigid temperatures). It did register 3-4 mph when I spun the front wheel.

That said, I agree, Matt is a stand-up guy. I ordered a cluster from him in early December and sent him $95 via paypal. Due to my inability to wait, I asked him for a refund and he obliged. I certainly would have understood if he didn't permit it.

This is just another option for folks who want a simple install. I'm not mechanically inclined but was able to perform this swap-out.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChina View Post
Thanks, Megadan. Those are very good points. I have not had the opportunity to verify the accuracy of the speedometer (currently 6" of snow on the ground and frigid temperatures). It did register 3-4 mph when I spun the front wheel.

That said, I agree, Matt is a stand-up guy. I ordered a cluster from him in early December and sent him $95 via paypal. Due to my inability to wait, I asked him for a refund and he obliged. I certainly would have understood if he didn't permit it.

This is just another option for folks who want a simple install. I'm not mechanically inclined but was able to perform this swap-out.
The installation is very strait forward. You don't have to be mechanically inclined to do it. As long as you give the buyers well written instructions, anybody should be able to do this mod.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Mine is adjustable calibration.
You enter in the CM of the outer circumference of the wheel and can adjust as needed so truly universal.
Also has a volt gauge and changeable color LCD.

Is there one that’s accurate with a tachometer set up for the 2017 “Bashan 250 Storm Rocketa”, 19” front wheel ?
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #13

If you could find a digital speedo / tachometer for the Bashan bikes you would find a niche. I would buy one for my Bashan Blaze if I could find one.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
Is there one that’s accurate with a tachometer set up for the 2017 “Bashan 250 Storm Rocketa”, 19” front wheel ?
All are possible as you enter in the centimeter of the tire circumference

Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
If you could find a digital speedo / tachometer for the Bashan bikes you would find a niche. I would buy one for my Bashan Blaze if I could find one.
Can be