Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #1

My workshop bathroom/utility room designs

I'm planning to add a bathroom/ utility room onto my workshop come spring, weather permitting of course. These are my designs. I'll explain them in better detail.

Cheezy, if you have been pondering my crazy pics on Flickr, look no further. Here's a better description.

My plan is to do a simple bathroom with utility room capabilities. When I come in from riding motorcycles, I am usually covered in road goop and sometimes mud if I have been off road. My criteria are simple, run in type shower with no pan, no shower curtains, and no doors. The floor will be concrete like the rest of the workshop. The bathroom will get a floor drain. The shower will slope to it. Toilet, utility sink, hot water, and a place to wash gear will be useful. I own some mobile homes and I always have spare appliances, toilets, sinks, ect..

My first version came out like this. A bit too big. the plumbing would be a nightmare. I don't really need the dryer or a large shower. The shower is in a bit of a bad place to be a run in shower. I am a big guy and my home tub/shower is 22"x48". To narrow for my liking but plenty long enough. I went overboard big on the shower. I could take the SO in there with me. OOO LA LA.

My second version is much smaller and may be what I end up building. I got rid of the dryer, scaled back the shower size, and rearranged some things. The dryer needs a direct vent outside which restricted me to an outside wall with it. Also, I wanted as straight of a run as possible to my septic system for the plumbing. This smaller version allows the shower/floor drain to drop right into the 4-inch main septic pipe. The 4-inch pipe starts under the toilet. The water heater pressure valve will be plumbed around behind the toilet, along the bottom of the wall, and a 45-degree elbow on the end of the pipe will direct water into the shower/floor drain. The washer will pump it's water into the utility sink. The pipe for the sink will run directly into a 4-inch to 2-inch Y fitting. when the 4-inch sewer pipe clears the building slab, there will be a 45-degree turn and straight run into the septic system. The roof air vent for the septic system will be directly behind the toilet in the wall. The way I plan to run the cold/hot water plumbing, it can be drained back through the outside faucet and also out through the hot water heater. Anyone that's done plumbing will get it. I can't do plumbing diagrams on a PC.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #2

I'm intrigued by your project, and I have a couple of thoughts. First, you'd prefer your initial toilet layout, simply so you don't have to reach behind for TP.

Why does the dryer require a direct vent? Is it gas fired? Even if it is, they have remarkably low emissions; my parents have been venting the same gas dryer indoors since 1978. Not joking. Since it's a workshop and not a domicile, nobody will be sleeping in there. Can you vent out the roof?

Since the washer drain is pumped, it might splash more than you'd like into the utility sink; might be worth your time to glue up some ABS that is dedicated to the washer.

I really like how you plan to be able to drain the system down through the hose bib. I don't think I would have considered that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm intrigued by your project, and I have a couple of thoughts. First, you'd prefer your initial toilet layout, simply so you don't have to reach behind for TP.
The water heater would get boxed in the corner like in a mobile home unit with a cabinet over it. It's a 19-gallon electric model. Of course the sides and top, or bottom of cabinet, would be removable for servicing the WH. The TP holder would mount there.

Why does the dryer require a direct vent? Is it gas fired? Even if it is, they have remarkably low emissions; my parents have been venting the same gas dryer indoors since 1978. Not joking. Since it's a workshop and not a domicile, nobody will be sleeping in there. Can you vent out the roof?
The hot humid air would need to go outside and the best way is straight out. With slab on grade, it can't go through the floor. Also, I can't think of anything I would need a dryer for in the shop. My motorcycle gear can be washed but it specifically states not to dry it. I think the breathable waterproof membrane will get damaged. I use disposable shop towels.

Since the washer drain is pumped, it might splash more than you'd like into the utility sink; might be worth your time to glue up some ABS that is dedicated to the washer.
It wouldn't cost much to install a washer connection panel. I'll add it. It would look better too.

I really like how you plan to be able to drain the system down through the hose bib. I don't think I would have considered that.
Thanks. Good stuff can be accomplished using PEX plumbing. Just have to maintain minimal fall back to the hose bib. That's loacted low on the side of the shop outside wall. The water coming into the shop would pick up the hose bib first before going onto the water heater and distribution manifold.

I started my workshop project September of 2016. My health happened and I missed the last half of 2017 and the first half of 2018. During that time, I spent a lot of time thinking about the bathroom/utility room addition. We don't get a lot of freezing weather here. Sure we get a lot of nights where it dips below freezing but it doesn't stay there. Even though the shop will be heated when I'm working, it won't be insulated. The bathroom might get insulation because of the plumbing.

I decided it would be a good idea to be able to drain the entire plumbing system. Other than hand washing and maybe toilet, I don't think I'll use water between late November to late March. I'll install valves on the water distribution manifold to everything that way I can use water where needed without having to waste water draining the entire system again.

This addition is purely for convenience and trying to keep some mess out of the house.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I started my workshop project September of 2016. My health happened and I missed the last half of 2017 and the first half of 2018.
Really hate that part. I lost 2015/16. My new shop is still on hold.
Keep us posted. This looks like a very cool project!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Really hate that part. I lost 2015/16. My new shop is still on hold.
Keep us posted. This looks like a very cool project!
My big shop is on hold for now due to niggly health problems.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

Plumbing can be made a lot easier. Stack the washer and dryer, and use an instantaneous water heater mounted high on the wall. While I'm not crazy about instant hot water heaters, for a limited use space such as that, they're fine and will free up a lot of space, and can be gas or electric. Move things around and you should be able to fit a 60" shower in the space easily, or possibly an angled shower-properly configured, they have a lot of room. One of the things we did when planning our floor plan was to use cardboard boxes shaped and sized to represent things, i.e. washer, toilet, etc. That made it a lot easier to visualize, move around. and was better than guessing.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac View Post
Plumbing can be made a lot easier. Stack the washer and dryer, and use an instantaneous water heater mounted high on the wall. While I'm not crazy about instant hot water heaters, for a limited use space such as that, they're fine and will free up a lot of space, and can be gas or electric. Move things around and you should be able to fit a 60" shower in the space easily, or possibly an angled shower-properly configured, they have a lot of room. One of the things we did when planning our floor plan was to use cardboard boxes shaped and sized to represent things, i.e. washer, toilet, etc. That made it a lot easier to visualize, move around. and was better than guessing.
Those are good ideas. I already have the toilet, water heater, and washing machine. The shower is just to step in and hose off more or less after riding motorcycles or working in the shop. No shower pan will be used. The water will go straight to a in floor drain. I have a dryer. I don't really see me using it as none of my riding gear can be dried in a dryer without damaging the waterproof membranes. My hot water heater is a small diameter 12-gallon unit. Washer won't need hot water as my gear is cold water wash only.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #8

waist of good motorbike parking area...
but keep the utility sink...make a good parts wash...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
but keep the utility sink...make a good parts wash.....
You got that right. I've been without a garage sink for eight years now. Once you've had one, it's tough to live without one.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
waist of good motorbike parking area...
but keep the utility sink...make a good parts wash...

It's an addition to not a built in. So no wasted shop space. It's at a premium until the big 30x40 shop gets built.