Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Tips for winterizing?

Time to put the bike away. Anybody have suggestions for winterizing motorcycle?

Old 12-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

Drain fuel, remove battery so you can charge it up time to time.
Might as well give it a basic service like clean n lube chain air up tires have things clean and tidy for hibernation.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

I usually "Fog" the engine to prevent rust before winter storage and also add some kind of fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil Marine and Star Tron are easy to find in the States and work as advertised).

To "Fog" the engine all I do is spray some kind of "upper cylinder cleaner/lube" into the engine while it is running... spray until the engine "bogs" a little then I turn the bike off... Sta-Bil and SeaFoam also make a "Engine Fog" spray if you don't already have a dedicated "UCL"...

You can also drain the fuel bowl on the carb to get any fuel out so it doesn't slowly evaporate into goo and clog the jets over the winter break

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #4

If at all possible move the bike inside, like heated grauge would be best.
Next mouse proof the Airbox and everything else is already mentioned.

I'd keep the tank topped with non-Ethanol laced fuel with a good dose of fuel stable. An empty tank is an open path to condensation. Aircraft are always stored full. Doesn't hurt to run it for a few minutes a monthly.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 12-10-2018, 05:36 AM   #5

Everything they said especially topping off the tank AND draining the carb bowl (small screw on the nipple on the bottom of the bowl).

I always drain the oil and put in clean oil before storing a bike for a decent length of time. It helps prevent swarf (metallic particulate) and sludge from settling to the bottom of the engine case.

Another thing I tend to do is pump the tires up to maximum pressure, and if you can, put it up on a stand to take the weight of the bike off the tires. This can help to prevent possible flat spots on the tires.

Oh, and a trickle charger is a good idea.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 AM   #6

trickle charger on a timer that way the battery is not cooked. 1hr on everyday. Or just remove battery so there is no draw, Non ethanol fuel with fuel stabilizer.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Everything they said especially topping off the tank AND draining the carb bowl (small screw on the nipple on the bottom of the bowl).

I always drain the oil and put in clean oil before storing a bike for a decent length of time. It helps prevent swarf (metallic particulate) and sludge from settling to the bottom of the engine case.

Another thing I tend to do is pump the tires up to maximum pressure, and if you can, put it up on a stand to take the weight of the bike off the tires. This can help to prevent possible flat spots on the tires.

Oh, and a trickle charger is a good idea.
Megadan,

Good to see you back. Seems like you have been gone a while. Thanks for the input!