Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

valve adjustment 50-125 cc

here is a link to adjust your valves.... I just take the round cover off of the timing chain gear and turn the motor over ,,,, where the center cover plug is,... and line up the dot at 9.00 oclock like he says.. that is on the right stroke and is good,,,, instead of trying to line up the T on the line... you will see it is easier that way

Old 11-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

Taking off the cam chain gear cover does for sure show you that the engine is at TDC but there is a less involved method.

All you have to do is reach into the valve adjustment holes with you finger and wiggle the top of the valve adjustment studs. If you cannot feel a little bit of loose play when you wiggle BOTH adjustment studs then you are one rotation off on the stroke. It's easy to feel the difference once you have done a few valve adjustments.

But I agree, for some folks seeing that cam gear alignment mark may be more reassuring they have the engine at TDC.

Last edited by GrandKidsMX; 11-22-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

valve adjustment

the real reason you are adjusting the valves is because there is no play on the valves... the valve has worn into the valve seat and let the value clearance be taken up... I have adjusted these back at least a full turn to 1 1/2 complete turns... back out... got in just in time before the valve hit t he piston... it is safer to do it this way.. when the timing mark is correct... or you want to do it qwith the timing mark .. for sure this is the correct timing stroke... then you will see ... the valve is tight... no free play... then adjust it.. so there is a little play.... not rocket science/// as long as there is some play between the adjustor and the valve .. run with it... a lot of people theik it to much to do.... they will learn when it will nopt start... or the valve is bent.. then remove the head.. to do a valve replacement

Old 11-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

Thanks for posting the video. I have to laugh at how the "mechanic" just lets the various covers fall on the floor.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Last edited by david3921; 11-25-2018 at 04:24 AM.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #5

valve adjusting tool

if you want to hold the valve adjusting screw... you can bend a robertson deck screw.... use a log one and it is the same size as the square on the adjustor... I have the tool for this .. but I do a lot of valve adjusting,, it is way better than the pliers .. just have some free play in the valve clearance.... not rocket science.. too much and it will tap..... I take out the spark plug when I am on that side to undo the timing chain cover and then I can turn the motor over with the timing gear bolts... 9mm bolt socket. turns easy instead of removing the chrome plug... whatever way is good for you....