Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

hawk 250 oil capacity

ok i searched the site ,an did not want to post a thread but when in doubt about capacity of oil book says 1.6qt ,watch videos of oil changes from a few saying 1 quart from the side oil screen ,now i would imagine ,from the bottom bolt one may get tiny bit more but how much ,i had a window like this on the Dl1000 full was halfway up the window with the bike level,now for me with the hawk dip stick all the way in reads full with 1 1/4th qts ,does not seem to be one that matches my thread heading,i just want to be sure i have enough oil in it ,now the window on the hawk level is a full window of oil ,another note is 1 quart came out of the junk they had in it from factory,so am i low or high

side note the bike is fun to ride .an i know going to take time to get it where i want it ,i figure by mid summer will be ,i dont like to get in a hurry with a bike like this being my first one to with a clutch

Old 06-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk 229cc View Post
ok i searched the site ,an did not want to post a thread but when in doubt about capacity of oil book says 1.6qt ,watch videos of oil changes from a few saying 1 quart from the side oil screen ,now i would imagine ,from the bottom bolt one may get tiny bit more but how much ,i had a window like this on the Dl1000 full was halfway up the window with the bike level,now for me with the hawk dip stick all the way in reads full with 1 1/4th qts ,does not seem to be one that matches my thread heading,i just want to be sure i have enough oil in it ,now the window on the hawk level is a full window of oil ,another note is 1 quart came out of the junk they had in it from factory,so am i low or high

side note the bike is fun to ride .an i know going to take time to get it where i want it ,i figure by mid summer will be ,i dont like to get in a hurry with a bike like this being my first one to with a clutch
Fill it up till its halfway up the window level.
Disregard the dipstick it is useless...lol
mine took about 1.2 to 1.4 quarts but i didnt really measure as i was pouring slowly from a 5qt jug.
seems you may have overfilled it with it covering the window completely

Old 06-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #3

well with the bike leaning on the kick stand the window shows just a little oil i put about 1 1/4th of qt so actualy i should be right on. an then no smoking ,an i figure with the bike leaning on the kick stand is no way to measure ,but will check again tomorrow ,there seems to a very fine line for these bikes ,what are other guys thoughts on this thank you mac 1029,i wonder if the bike is not level is why its showing more then it should ,from back to front my drive way is slanted down at the back of the bike

probley just me but cant seem to get the same answer for all hawks ,from 1 qt to 1 1/4th to 1.4qt book 1.6 will get there

Old 06-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #4

If I drain the oil from the drain plug on the bottom and then remove the filter screen, let it drain as much as I can, then hold the bike vertical before putting the drain plug back in, I found my Hawk would take about 1.5 quarts to end up abot 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the sight glass.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-17-2018, 11:15 PM   #5

put a quart in hold it up level and pour till you get to half way in the sight glass....amount doesnt matter! your making it wya more difficult than it has to be.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 06-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
put a quart in hold it up level and pour till you get to half way in the sight glass....amount doesnt matter! your making it wya more difficult than it has to be.
mabey so but dont wont a blown up china engine bro brand new bike hear ???,i like the other idea so it seem the book is pretty close 1.6 .

Old 06-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
mabey so but dont wont a blown up china engine bro brand new bike hear ???,i like the other idea so it seem the book is pretty close 1.6 .
My method just gets all of the oil out that I can. I still use the sight glass when filling the bike. After filling it I will run it or ride it for a few minutes, park it for a few minutes, and check the level again and add more if needed.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
If I drain the oil from the drain plug on the bottom and then remove the filter screen, let it drain as much as I can, then hold the bike vertical before putting the drain plug back in, I found my Hawk would take about 1.5 quarts to end up abot 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the sight glass.
thank you dan you seemed to have summed it up for me ,i put in 1 1/4th for now should be fine ,next drain in about 100 miles or so i will drain from the bottom ,but also check the screen on it ,when it comes to oil i am sure you know haveing close to the right amount is better then not but i want the exact amount,seems some are playing a guessing game ,i dont care to do that ,after the long trip hear in alot of ways

so like said the book is close then ,though i just cant see how the bike is holding a half quart from side drain to bottom is why i put the extra amount in it

Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #9

yes so 3/4ths seems right on the window rather have a tiny bit more then not enough rule of thumb i was taught years ago then running low on oil ,an so the dip stick on mine its exact but all the way in ,an it makes sence to me that there is not that much wrong with the book specs other then 90 octane gas an how to measure the oil, RPS said 1.5 too couse the .10 wil be in the engine still thank you again dan

Old 03-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #10

What if your bike doesn't have a window? There doesn't seem to be a sight glass on mine. I have a 2019 tbr7 and I want to take the factory oil out but dont know how much to put back in

Old 03-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracklife94 View Post
What if your bike doesn't have a window? There doesn't seem to be a sight glass on mine. I have a 2019 tbr7 and I want to take the factory oil out but dont know how much to put back in
I got back to your private msg BUT I would just say to put a quart in. Some people like to add a bit more but I find that my bikes have been just fine with a full quart. If you want to really get anal and specific you can see if it will take a few more, but generally that quart will be just fine! That is something many people have opinions on but as long as your bike is not bone dry on oil and it is not overflowing with oil, youll be okay. Happy riding!

Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 AM   #12

Bottom line.. fill slowly and check bike upright and level until sight glass is halfway. No sight glass? 1 quart and then just a little touch more so you can sleep at night. And by touch how about 2 ounces to be specific.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #13

I have read not to thread in the dip-stick to measure

Quote:

I have read not to thread in the dip-stick to measure. Try that and see if it ends up at just full. I go by the window, 1/2 way between L & H. It is easier anyway.

Orion RXB 150XL