Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

Linhai ATVs

Any Linhai Owners out there?

I'll start by saying that we currently own a Linhai Bighorn 28 side by side. It's been a really good machine for what we need and do, but it does have a few notable drawbacks.

My wife and I are thinking about getting a quad to round out our "fleet" of toys. Based on my experience with the SxS, the Linhai has been pretty trouble free (with the exception of my son running into trees). The Linhai quad looks pretty appealing. It's only got a 260cc engine, but that's more than enough for what we would do. My questions is, does anyone have one of these? I've looked for reviews but I haven't seen anything recent. I appreciate the help!

Old 12-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

Well, after spending the last week researching and reading, I decided to pull the trigger and buy a Linhai 260 quad. It's the 2-wheel drive variety. I found very little information floating around on them, but we've been very happy with our side-by-side and as I looked at the features it included and quality of construction (from what I could tell), I had to take a shot. So in the interest in helping others who are trying to make the decision, I'm going to do my best to keep a running post of my experience both now and in the future.

Here are the main reasons I picked the Linhai brand vs others on the market.
1. The distribution center is here in Atlanta, so parts should be fairly readily available (experience with the side-by-side backs this up)
2. Features: For $3,200, I've got a shaft-driven, water-cooled 260cc quad with independent front suspension, solid rear axle with suspension, auto transmission (Lo/Hi/Rev) and racks. For reference, the lowest priced Honda was just north of $4K, with an air-cooled motor and a much thinner rear axle and manual transmission.
3. Service: There are a couple people locally who service these in the event I run into something I can't handle.

That's what I've got for now, but like I said, I'll update as time goes on; good, bad or otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171219_114745.jpg (94.6 KB, 2013 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171219_114244.jpg (96.3 KB, 2155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171219_114728.jpg (95.9 KB, 1862 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171219_114716.jpg (96.1 KB, 2698 views)

Old 12-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #3

Congrats on the purchase. Real nice quad. I know a couple people that have the 4 wheel drive Cougar Monster 300 which is almost Identical to that quad. Very reliable engine. I was looking at that same quad before I got my Hawk. One of my co-workers is about to pull the trigger on one. He can't decide on 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #4

Where did you purchase this from?

Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

I bought mine down here in Atlanta. More appropriately, Athens, GA at a place called Oconee Speed and Sport. But I believe you can get them shipped in a container from several different places. If you're in Minnesota, looks like there are several places up there that carry them. http://www.ecofunmotorsports.com/linhai/

I would jump on Craigslist and type in Linhai, that's where they all seem to advertise.

I'm surprised they aren't more prevalent. There have to be more people that would appreciate their value.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

I have 2008 Buyang 300. I have the same engine and frame. I've had good luck except with a couple of things. first the wire crimp on connectors. many are farmed out to "cottage" industry folks. Small hands crimping don't always get a good crimp, just keep this in mind. I have had to go through and recrimp both scooters. Solved a huge amount of problems. 2nd, the vacuum fuel pumps, have gone through several on each scooter, high RPM's are not easy on them. when they go out I thought that I had a vacuum leak or a carb problem that turned out to be the fuel pump. No idle, run fine. Lastly, save yourself a boat load of problems, put tubes in the front tires, goo in the back ones. Keeps them on the rims and saves down time. These units have small frame channels, so stay away from trying to jump them or you will bend the frame. If you decide to jump them then re-enforce the bottom frame under the engine. I use these daily on my desert ranch, so they are hardy and powerful. Yes, the 300 is actually a Linhai 260, it is a tough little engine. On one of them I had to the move the magnetic timing pickup closer to the main cam, but after that, no problems. yes, the rear diff case leaks, but i put stress on mine by towing a trailer with rocks in it through soft sand, duh..... looks like yours is the 2 wheel drive version, I've ridden this version to, but found that the 4 wheel version feels better for climbing the hills you see in the background. Good luck, I have found them fun to work on and reliable.

http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1514384152
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oct nove 09 035.jpg (95.3 KB, 1991 views)

Old 12-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #7

here is a link for the company that manufactures your atv under the Linhai name plate. They manufacture under several brand names and change the plastics a bit to help sell them. When I've tried contacting them for parts in the past they don't respond. Pretty much have to go through local dealer or net dealers for parts. Good news is engine parts are very common stuff.

http://www.buyangvehicle.com/ATV/

Old 12-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
here is a link for the company that manufactures your atv under the Linhai name plate. They manufacture under several brand names and change the plastics a bit to help sell them. When I've tried contacting them for parts in the past they don't respond. Pretty much have to go through local dealer or net dealers for parts. Good news is engine parts are very common stuff.

http://www.buyangvehicle.com/ATV/
Is that your backyard? Looks like a wonderful play pen. Any trails shoot straight up that hill in the background?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-28-2017, 01:12 AM   #9

Very nice looking machine. Best of luck with it.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
I have 2008 Buyang 300. I have the same engine and frame. I've had good luck except with a couple of things. first the wire crimp on connectors. many are farmed out to "cottage" industry folks. Small hands crimping don't always get a good crimp, just keep this in mind. I have had to go through and recrimp both scooters. Solved a huge amount of problems. 2nd, the vacuum fuel pumps, have gone through several on each scooter, high RPM's are not easy on them. when they go out I thought that I had a vacuum leak or a carb problem that turned out to be the fuel pump. No idle, run fine. Lastly, save yourself a boat load of problems, put tubes in the front tires, goo in the back ones. Keeps them on the rims and saves down time. These units have small frame channels, so stay away from trying to jump them or you will bend the frame. If you decide to jump them then re-enforce the bottom frame under the engine. I use these daily on my desert ranch, so they are hardy and powerful. Yes, the 300 is actually a Linhai 260, it is a tough little engine. On one of them I had to the move the magnetic timing pickup closer to the main cam, but after that, no problems. yes, the rear diff case leaks, but i put stress on mine by towing a trailer with rocks in it through soft sand, duh..... looks like yours is the 2 wheel drive version, I've ridden this version to, but found that the 4 wheel version feels better for climbing the hills you see in the background. Good luck, I have found them fun to work on and reliable.

http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1514384152
Fantastic info! I did end up getting the 2wd version. Had some debate with over it but it came down to a couple things. It was a couple hundred bucks cheaper, and I would have needed to order the 4wd. But the biggest thing was that I think this will be more of a fun machine for our family. When real work needs done, I figure I'll use the side by side anyway.

So far, this quad has been a hit, though. We've carved some trails through the woods and this thing handles them quite well. Comparing it to my buddies Honda Recon, the frame is much larger, it sits higher (which could be good and bad), and about 50% heavier (~600lbs vs ~400lbs). But assuming it holds up, it's loaded with many more features. My kids have enjoyed the automatic transmission vs manual shift.

It's funny you mention the wire crimping. The dealer I bought it from had mentioned that being one of the sole weaknesses, in his opinion. He also gave me a stern warning about driving the auto vs manual as it related to the clutch slipping. It was very informative.

I'll continue to update this as I go along. As I said, I struggled to find any good resource or reviews for these, so I figure I'll start it off and hopefully help others.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Is that your backyard? Looks like a wonderful play pen. Any trails shoot straight up that hill in the background?

Actually, that is the front yard. it is very rocky and I have to climb it hand over hand to get to to the top. BUT.... there are many dirt roads in the "backyard"....with about 200 miles of places to ride. Our 4 wheel units will just about climb anything. The only difference between our rhino and the atv is the number of riders. The thing I didn't like about the 2 wheel units was the way they feel when going down steep slopes. I felt like the 4 wheel model has more control.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Actually, that is the front yard. it is very rocky and I have to climb it hand over hand to get to to the top. BUT.... there are many dirt roads in the "backyard"....with about 200 miles of places to ride. Our 4 wheel units will just about climb anything. The only difference between our rhino and the atv is the number of riders. The thing I didn't like about the 2 wheel units was the way they feel when going down steep slopes. I felt like the 4 wheel model has more control.
Amazing, it seems, every square foot of Texas is fenced off with signs of 357 revolvers saying "think twice, I dont."
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #13

so, it has been 10 years since I bought my units. I have 2 of them. the biggest problem I've had so far with them are the carbs, followed by the vacuum fuel pumps. the pilot jets tend to become clogged very easily and the fuel pump has failed on both units. I replaced both carbs at least twice on both units. just replaced one for the third time. Again, the pilot jet. Due to my elevation, 3500 feet, I have to replace the main jet with a 118 to get full acceleration at top speed. Carbs are about $65 and vac fuel pumps $15, from china. amazon has them but they cost more. I keep spares now. I did drill a tiny hole in the air box, so when starting them after sitting for a while I can squirt some starting fluid into the airfilter box. Makes it much easier/faster to get started when sitting for a month or longer. Lastly, they like AGM batts. regular ones last 6 months to a year. AGM's are going on 3 years now!

I don't baby them at all, so they do get dirty, and very dusty. We use them for ranch work as well as trail riding and rock climbing. Hope this data helps someone make a better decision.

Keep your tires inflated...

Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #14

I'm thinking about getting a linhai 400. They want $3700 for it delivered to a shipping terminal. Just not sure yet. Trying to find reviews on it. I have 2 coolster 150s and they been good. This is a lot more money tho. I just want to make sure it lasts. I just trail ride nothing to bad.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #15

400 linhia

I think they use the 400 cc copy of the YAMAHA motor... work very good... have sold many other atvs with this setup... you can get parts everywhere for this..