Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

Burned out bulb? -Solved-

So i got my new carb today and got that installed, oil changed and fire it up to go for a test run and noticed my light wasnt coming on, regular or brights. Took the front cap off off and it looks like it might be burned out?

(hard to get a focus on the bulb i can try to get a better one if needed) Not sure if thats how it should look, or due to that burned spot it means its dead.

Also noticed the spedo light isnt on, not sure if they are related or not.

Last edited by ReconOne; 11-26-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Changing title to reflect its solved.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #2

Check for voltage at the bulb and I bet you wont find any. If that is the case check for loose wires.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Check for voltage at the bulb and I bet you wont find any. If that is the case check for loose wires.
Ill have to check that tomorrow, looks like my multimeter is broken..not reading anything, even batteries.

Pulled the bulbs out to check, both look the exact same (so not burned out at least), netural comes on when it fires up (all other lights work, blinkers, hazards, brake etc) but that backlit one doesnt. These are the only two wires that are not hooked into anything...but there isnt anything for them to hook with. The one little fuse i found in a small white box like thing looks fine as well (has a second fuse there too)

Old 11-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #4

Burned out bulb? -Solved-

So problem solved...I'm apparently an idiot haha. So bought a new multimeter since my old one the circuit that you plug the - and + cables into broke off the main board (cheap free one from harbor freight).

Started checking the bulbs and cables and getting nothing. A few more tests and i heard a pop...that little fuse blew..so replaced it with the spare (will need to get a few extra just in case). Decided to just put the headlight back on and go test the carb/speed since its daytime and i saw a little nob i've never used/seen before...I turned it on and i noticed a light in the wiring section turn on. (i had left the backlight bulb out).

Get the multimeter out and tested the bulb connector, one side now showed about 12 the other about 5. Plug it back in and boom bulb is working!

So apparently these bikes have a headlight on off switch...never would have thought of that since my last 3 bikes did not have that.

All in all, bikes working fine now haha.

New carb with 115 jet got rid of the 75% + bogging down and i was able to hit 60 mph with ease (feels sketchy on a dirtbike but still) and able to full throttle it. Before the most i hit was about 49-50 before i was giving it too much gas and it got past the 75% throttle and started to choke itself.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure ill be back with more questions as the come up, planning on checking the valve adjustments next week if i have time for it.

Last edited by ReconOne; 11-26-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Solved

Old 11-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #5

Don't feel bad.
The one that gets most of the us at one time or another is the kill switch. One day the bike's running fine and the next day nothing soooo after taking the bike halfway apart you notice the kill switch is off. Been there done that.