Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Complete noob interested in Rhino 250

I've never owned an ATV and have only driven a friend's very briefly.

I have fairly limited vehicle mechanics experience (i have changed oil, oil filter, spark plugs, wheels and other small tasks).

I'm hoping to close on a new property which has considerably more land than i'm used to and i think an ATV would be useful for me for:

1 - getting things around the property (eg, tools)
2 - messing about a bit
3 - simple towing (would prefer to use a regular trailer so i can also hook it up to SUV also). Towing things like logs/branches/garden tools/mower (push)/compost/trash cans to curb etc.

The land is "rolling" rather than hilly. It has a small stream, but the driveway does go over it so being able to go through it is not necessary (but could fall into #2 above). It's not deep at all, like inches in summer.

Due to my less than taxing requirements i'm drawn to the cheaper price of the Rhino (open to suggestions on others that might suit), especially as the house purchase is basically wiping me out money-wise.

I see the Rhino 250 doesn't have a hitch but there are pictures on the forums of people adding one. That sort of thing is within my ability to do, i'm quite handy, just limited at mechanics.

What i am a little confused about is all the mods, mainly because of my lack of mechanical/ATV knowledge rendering everything people say on this (and similar) forum complete jibberish!

Is there a good place/thread that lists all the necessary things i might want/need to do if i do buy one of these guys? So far i've got:

0 - Put the thing together. I understand the instructions might be a little sparse, is there a walk-through or is it fairly self-explanatory?

1 - drain crappy oil, put some new stuff in. "15w/40 jaso ma" is all the info i have on that, is that enough to get me the right oil?

2 - add hitch. Not really mechanical, i think i've got that covered

3 - change rear sprocket? I believe this gives me move pulling power in lower gears, which might be useful even with my lowly towing needs? Is there a guide on this? I haven't found one on the Rhino and i don't know how much carry over there is from other vehicles.

Seen a bunch of other things mentioned, like changing the carb, but i'm not sure how necessary they might be for my use case.

Basically, any dumbed down information would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading all that!

Thanks all

Old 05-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #2

Welcome aboard. Looks like you have it covered. I wouldn't worry about the carb. It should run fine an is. May only need to adjust idle mixer but there will be plenty of help here if needed.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

Assembly is easy. Stock carb works OK with no mods. Copy the trail hitch design from this forum. Most important thing, especially if you're going to tow something, is to lower the gear ratio by going with a larger rear sprocket and smaller front.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

Wow, thanks for quick responses, puts my mind at rest that maybe i might be able to be an china-ATV owner in the next couple of months

With regards to sprocket, is that an easy job? So 2 spockets and, presumably, a chain? How do i know what to buy?

Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanchicken View Post
Wow, thanks for quick responses, puts my mind at rest that maybe i might be able to be an china-ATV owner in the next couple of months

With regards to sprocket, is that an easy job? So 2 spockets and, presumably, a chain? How do i know what to buy?
Don't worry, your Rhino guys will chime in shortly.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

Just remember, if you get in over your head, it's damned near impossible to find someone to work on these Chinese ATVs and motos.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #7

Easiest way to lower the gear ratio is to buy one of the custom made larger aluminum rear sprockets, a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket, and a 530 size chain to fit. Use the search function to find the details. Another way is to get a 40 tooth 428 rear sprocket (stock on the ATA250D), a JTF259.13 front sprocket, and a 428 chain.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Welcome! Everyone got about everything covered for you.
If you aren't going to be taxing the quad too much, leaving the motor stock is fine. That said, the air filter is true garbage, at least the one on my Rhino was. One thin little hunk of foam, that's unserviceable and the intake points down as to make sure and suck water out of whatever deep creek you may go through. One of these work well. It's a tad large at the neck but it tightens down with the clamp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like Mudflap says, gearing is the big thing if you're going to be needing to crawl. I'd try it first though. I use ours as a work mule so I needed the gearing.

Also, the shocks suck....but get better with ours. Remember, you're buying a 1000.00 quad, not a 7000.00 Honda. If you keep that in mind, you'll be quite pleased with what you receive!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #9

Yeah, i'd read about the shocks and how the loosen up over time. Considering i'm not currently an ATV owner or rider i just figured i wouldn't know what i was missing out on. So doing anything with those wasn't on my list tbh.

Thanks for air filter link and sprocket chain info peeps!

Old 05-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #10

Air filter and sprocket seems to come to about $65 on Amazon. Would be silly not to start with both of those considering that. I'm sure i'll be short a tool or 2 but they're an investment

In terms of buying are there any particularly good or bad places online? Been looking at powersportsmax and txpowersports.

Looks like i probably need delivery, no local dealers near from what i can tell

Old 05-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #11

Hey Bryan, the Rhino is a purchase I do not regret. It has been serving me well and exceeded my expectations after the mods were completed. I used TXpowersports and all went well with the sale.. others have had problems in the past getting the paperwork from them to register their street bikes. If you have a pickup just get it delivered to the nearest hub and pick it up there. Liftgate service costs more and will add a bit of time to your wait while they jerk you around with appointments.

Local dealers have a pretty good mark up on this stuff so not to sure you will get a decent price (was the case for me). Seeing one in person though made me more confident of what I would get buying one online.

A basic set of wrenches and sockets is all you need to work on it... two large adjustable wrenches help when doing the rear sprocket upgrade. If you can do the hitch mod you can do the sprocket upgrade.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 PM   #12

Welcome bryanchicken,

What everyone has posted covers everything you really need to know. I'll just say I have been running mine in the Arizona desert 15 to 30 miles everyday for the last 4 months and am very happy with the Rhino.

I have done the Gearing change because it was to fast for my needs. 80% of the time I creep along in 1st or 2nd gear at high idle while looking for illegals. I highly recommend the gearing change.

I have used the stock plugs, stock carb, and stock air filter with an extra piece of foam added. I also added a small cooling fan in front of the engine due to the fact I run in 100 to 115 degree heat in 1st gear going 2-3 mph.

The only thing I have replaced so far are the rear wheel bearings. They free wheeled OK, but I was starting to get play in them and had to keep adjusting the chain. So I got the Part # 6006 bearing from Whygostock.com. They are a better bearing and show no signs of wear yet.

If you don't beat your Rhino it will do you well, I know with the mods I have made I have a real Desert Beast.

Enjoy, Kurt

Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #13

Here's an off-the-wall question for you guys.....

With the gearing mods, would/could you use it to pull a tow-behind mower? Or is that pushing it a bit too far?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanchicken View Post
Here's an off-the-wall question for you guys.....

With the gearing mods, would/could you use it to pull a tow-behind mower? Or is that pushing it a bit too far?
I wouldn't think a trail mower would be a big deal. you'd probably stay in first gear with a bit of RPMs to keep it moving.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #15

Widowmaker, thanks for the info and connection on the rear bearings! It's good to know they're readily available.

bryanchicken, if you order the front sprocket, you may need to get a half-link from Tractor Supply. Those of us who changed BOTH sprockets had to get one. Keep us posted on if you're only changing the front sprocket.

As ben2go says, I don't think a drag along mower would be an issue.....but you may be cooking along fairly well.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350