Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #1

New from Canada

Hi all. Thanks for having me. As the title says I am new and also Canadian. I actually don't own a bike yet but I've been looking very closely at the Hawk 250 and I loke what I see. What concerns me is registering it for the road up here. Are there any Canadian China Riders that might shed some light on whether this is doable. I'm in Ontario

Thanks
DV

Old 03-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

Welcome to here. I am not Canadian, and I have no idea about Canadian laws, but keep in mind the Hawk is actually EPA certified as an off-road bike in the US. It is 49 state legal (Californians need not apply) for off-road in the US. The MCO that comes with it (now) states 'Motorcycle' rather than the older MCOs which stated 'Off-road motorcycle' or something along those lines, and there are a few dozen US states which legally allow converting off-road motorcycles to street legal motorcycles as long as the owner puts on a minimum of street-legal equipment (varies state by state but generally include one mirror, headlight, taillight, and a place to attach a license plate, not to mention a speedo and a horn (I am referring to Arizona's laws and that is off the top of my head; actually Arizona will license such a minimum equipped bike but only for daylight riding, if one want so ride at night, one needs to add turn signals here in AZ, but now I am getting into too much detail!). The Hawk is obviously more than adequately equipped for the dozens of states which will convert dirt bikes to street, so there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Hawks plated and used legally which are for all intents and purposes doing so as legal loopholes.

I will not even try to speak for any Canadian territory or province (or are you guys all under one federal law) after the above, but wanted to give you a background on why the Hawk is such an abundant bike in many US states, and legal to boot! There are a few US states which will not budge and license these for the road under any circumstance, which may or may not be where equivalent Canadian laws would come into play for you. But, hopefully, you can convert dirt bikes to street-legal bikes...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Thanks for all the info cuicune.