Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Rear Break Pedal Keeps Locking

On my Magician the rear break pedal keeps locking up. The only way to release the pressure it is to open the bleeder valve on the rear caliper. Do you guys know why this keeps happening? Why does it keep building up pressure? This has happened the last 3 times I've ridden and seems like it will just keep happening. I bled it this time and didn't use the rear break and it still seems like the pressure was building to the point where it would lock again. Do any of you guys know what is causing this/how to fix it?

Thanks for any and all help!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironheart901 View Post
On my Magician the rear break pedal keeps locking up. The only way to release the pressure it is to open the bleeder valve on the rear caliper. Do you guys know why this keeps happening? Why does it keep building up pressure? This has happened the last 3 times I've ridden and seems like it will just keep happening. I bled it this time and didn't use the rear break and it still seems like the pressure was building to the point where it would lock again. Do any of you guys know what is causing this/how to fix it?

Most of the time this is caused by having too much brake fluid in the master cylinder, causing a hydraulic lock....ARH

Old 02-17-2017, 11:48 PM   #3

Is the return spring still on the pedal? Are the pads able to move freely on the sliders? No burs or they will hang up.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #4

Quote:
On my Magician the rear break pedal keeps locking up. The only way to release the pressure it is to open the bleeder valve on the rear caliper. Do you guys know why this keeps happening? Do any of you guys know what is causing this/how to fix it?

Yes. There is a small aperture that is clogged. I had this happen to my 1985 Harley Davidson Electraglide. Take the master cylinder apart and clean everything.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
Yes. There is a small aperture that is clogged. I had this happen to my 1985 Harley Davidson Electraglide. Take the master cylinder apart and clean everything.
It could be the fluid return passage inside the master cylinder.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses, I will take apart the master cylinder and make sure everything is clear.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, I will take apart the master cylinder and make sure everything is clear.
If you go that far, flush out the caliper, and change to a high quality DOT 3 or 4 fluid. And, if it was me, I'd do the front brake at the same time....ARH