Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #16

I don't have a Hawk but have had many Hondoids over the years. Many of the parts are identical. The Hawk, CSC TT250, Storm, Brozz and many others of the "new" generation Hondoids are the best ever built, to date, regarding plastics, frame, etc.... The CG motors are proven to be no fire breathers but will run indefinitely.

It seems as though you've already done some extensive reading here and that's good.

Yes to the following:

Change the oil.
Adjust the valves after break-in. They'll be super tight. (Intake .05mm Exhaust .08mm, ice cold, overnight).
Replace the plug.
Odds are you'll need either jetting (if you can find it) or upgrade to the Mikuni for easy and available jetting options. You'll probably experience the popping or flat spot when wide open and lean cold starts being at about sea level. Maybe not.

Just know you're choosing a CB for all the right reasons, as you've stated. Many of us here don't want to...or have the $$$......to drop 5 grand on a small displacement enduro that's basically a toy to most of us, and if you're mechanically inclined, can work your way around what (now few) drawbacks a China Bike has, especially for the cash. I think as you put miles on the Hawk, you'll be shocked at what you received for the $$$.

Gospel: Don't trust the dealer. They assemble a ton of these a day. Proper setup is the key to many happy miles. Go over everything and every adjustment.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #17

I got hawk, I love hawk,

Old 12-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTxTrouble View Post
I think red or blue look the best. I'm going to get some red spoke covers too so I think that will make it look pretty cool. Do you have the stock tires on it still?
Be careful with those spoke covers. My son has some on his KDX200 and it makes knowing when the spokes need tightening a real pain. Fortunately his don't loosen much. I would expect spokes on a china bike to be checked and adjusted quite frequently.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I don't have a Hawk but have had many Hondoids over the years. Many of the parts are identical. The Hawk, CSC TT250, Storm, Brozz and many others of the "new" generation Hondoids are the best ever built, to date, regarding plastics, frame, etc.... The CG motors are proven to be no fire breathers but will run indefinitely.

It seems as though you've already done some extensive reading here and that's good.

Yes to the following:

Change the oil.
Adjust the valves after break-in. They'll be super tight. (Intake .05mm Exhaust .08mm, ice cold, overnight).
Replace the plug.
Odds are you'll need either jetting (if you can find it) or upgrade to the Mikuni for easy and available jetting options. You'll probably experience the popping or flat spot when wide open and lean cold starts being at about sea level. Maybe not.

Just know you're choosing a CB for all the right reasons, as you've stated. Many of us here don't want to...or have the $$$......to drop 5 grand on a small displacement enduro that's basically a toy to most of us, and if you're mechanically inclined, can work your way around what (now few) drawbacks a China Bike has, especially for the cash. I think as you put miles on the Hawk, you'll be shocked at what you received for the $$$.

Gospel: Don't trust the dealer. They assemble a ton of these a day. Proper setup is the key to many happy miles. Go over everything and every adjustment.
Perfect! The one thing I would add is to adjust the valves as soon as you get it home. Time well spent as we are constantly reading about Hawks that have zero gaps from the factory and that's not good, nor is the salad oil in the engine these come with.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #20

The valves on my bike were LOOSE really loose. I took 2LZ's advice (then later found the spec in my chinglish owners manual) set them with the engine dead cold, like after its sat over night. Then .05mm for the intake valve and .08 for the Exhaust. Now, you will be able to hear the ticking from the rockers cruising down the road, but a tappy valve is a happy valve. But never fear, when you put the aftermarket exhaust on you will no longer hear them. Not sure if that a GOOD thing. Go over that bike AGAIN with a fine tooth comb, just because the dealer put it together don't mean a hill of beans. Go through the electrical system, ALL of it, from front to back. Put Dielectric grease on all the connections, make sure all wires and connections are secure and out of the way of other parts that can damage them. I don't have a Hawk, just its very close relative. I love the snot out of mine. and would buy it again 10 times over. Good luck, and we are gonna need some pics. Be Safe.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #21

One more thing that's a positive about the Hawk in my eyes (besides being the best two-wheeled bargain on the planet), is that it's a Hensim-Haosen product. I had a pair of Hensim DB150's a long time back. They were EXCELLENT bikes and took a beating without a hitch. I ended up selling them to a buddy and he still rides them to this day. Good stuff.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
So the QE = SE?

Still doesn't seems to have the viscosity of a 15w40
Shipping oil ≠ Proper oil

Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Shipping oil ≠ Proper oil
Do you have any idea of what kind of Oil they actually ship with the Bike???

Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Do you have any idea of what kind of Oil they actually ship with the Bike???

Old 12-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post

Yes to the following:

Change the oil.
Replace the plug.

Just got it back to my house and looked it over. I'll definitely be taking the covers off and going over everything again. I noticed the carb does seem to have those flat spots and boggs down at open throttle. Could be because I accidently had the reserve tank on? Drained the oil put 15w40 triple protection. I can't figure out how to get the damn seat off though haha Gonna go ride it some more soon and have another status report
Should I get a Hawk?

Old 12-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #26

I'm in your area. I looked at the 3 dealers in the area for weeks before finally buying mine off a guy in Decatur. I personally think it's worth the investment. Mikuni jets will fit the stock carb as well. www.hawk250.com will have links to all of these parts.

To get the seat off, pull the side panels and there is one bolt per side holding the seat on. then just slide it back and up.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
I'm in your area. I looked at the 3 dealers in the area for weeks before finally buying mine off a guy in Decatur. I personally think it's worth the investment. Mikuni jets will fit the stock carb as well. www.hawk250.com will have links to all of these parts.

To get the seat off, pull the side panels and there is one bolt per side holding the seat on. then just slide it back and up.
thanks man I just got back from riding it again that's it for tonight. Gonna take the panels off and reroute some of these wires to get everything out of the way. The carb definitely needs to be adjusted, has some trouble taying on once you first start it. I've been messing with the idle screw to find the right spot so that's probably off
Should I get a Hawk?

Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #28

more fun than you can shake a stick at!

Old 12-31-2016, 12:26 AM   #29

I still haven't gotten my carb dialed in. Replacing the main jet sure helped though

Old 12-31-2016, 02:11 AM   #30

Any 15-40 should do a good job. I've used it, mostly Rotella, in many bikes from an old air cooled turbo bike to some newer performance bikes. Once broken in I might consider a synthetic motorcycle oil, not that I think a CB needs it, but with their small capacity it's cheap enough that I might do it.