Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #46

VIN vs. NHTSA Tag

My bike has the VIN etched into the frame on the steering stem. The issue I'm having with the GA DMV is that they want an actual NHTSA sticker on the bike. It details that the bike is road legal, and has info on manufacturer, tire size and pressure, VIN, and weight ratings. Without that, the state won't register the bike. The tag looks something like this:

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
My bike has the VIN etched into the frame on the steering stem. The issue I'm having with the GA DMV is that they want an actual NHTSA sticker on the bike. It details that the bike is road legal, and has info on manufacturer, tire size and pressure, VIN, and weight ratings. Without that, the state won't register the bike. The tag looks something like this:
If I would of had any trouble with getting mine registered my next step was to have one made up and stick on there. That's how I found that website. I was putting it on the road one way or another. But I got lucky and it was a breeze. They never asked to see the bike.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #48

Quote:
First visit the DMV has been a bust. They refused to register, title, or do anything with my Hawk because the MCO didn't say that the vehicle was legal for street use. They gave me a couple of forms to fill out and take the bike up to the Sheriff's office so they can inspect and verify the (non-existent) vehicle data plate that's supposed to be on the steering stem. I reached out to TXPowersports for some help and haven't heard back yet, however I noticed they updated the website after I bought my bike and they posted a disclaimer that the bike might not be legal in all 50 states... If they're marketing a vehicle as being street legal, it damn well ought to be street legal. The DMV even went so far as to dig into the registration of my DR, claiming that since it only had one cylinder it couldn't possibly be street legal. Needless to say, things were tense at the local DMV. They finally sorted out the DR, and I got it and the wife's daily driver renewed, but that was certainly not the best way to spend an hour and a half of my time this morning. I'll give the guys at TXPowersports until close of business tomorrow toget back with me before I get too bent out of shape. After that I'll call AmEx and see about reversing charges and TXPowersports can send someone to my place to pick up a fully assembled and modified Hawk 250... So to recap, insurance was fairly straightforward (still haven't heard anything from my broker about adding it, so no news is good news), but the DMV was less than cooperative. It seems that the red tape strikes again. The bike is running great, and i got the new exhaust and iridium spark plug in yesterday's mail. No sure how much sense it makes to spend some time continuing to mod out the Hawk when it doesn't look like I'm going to get to ride it anyways...
Ticks me off that GA is being difficult with the hawk. Damn red tape!

Old 11-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #49

Jerry, I completely agree. I'm going to get the guy from the link you posted to whip one up for me. $35 is a fair price to get this thing on the road. I'm glad the tires already have the DOT stamp. One less thing to worry about. Once I get the sticker installed, I'll head up to the sheriff's office and get the inspection knocked out. Hopefully that's the end of the line and I walk out with a tag. I believe that it's not up to the state to make vehicle decisions for me, and that if I get run over because I tried to take a 250 out on the highway, that's my own fault and I deserve a new tire-track tattoo... Of course, we're just about the fastest country on the planet. Most of the rest of the world thinks that 500cc's is a huge bike.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #50

MCLove, I couldn't agree more! What really pissed me off was when they started going on about my DR650 not being street legal, and that they weren't going to let me renew the registration on it. They actually said "Motorcycles have to have two cylinders, we don't think a motorcycle with one cylinder is street legal." Man, I just about lost it. If getting the VIN sticker pans out, that may be the way to go. I'm definitely chomping at the bit to get out on the Hawk. If I can un-bury myself from my work emails, I'm going to at least get the new spark plug in and take the bike up and down the street a bit. I'll let you guys know when I hear back from Chuck about the VIN tag.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Last edited by Emerikol; 11-11-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to LesterJames
Quote:
MCLove, I couldn't agree more! What really pissed me off was when they started going on about my DR650 not being street legal, and that they weren't going to let me renew the registration on it. They actually said "Motorcycles have to have two cylinders, we don't think a motorcycle with one cylinder is street legal." Man, I just about lost it. If getting the VIN sticker pans out, that may be the way to go. I'm definitely chomping at the bit to get out on the Hawk. If I can un-bury myself from my work emails, I'm going to at least get the new spark plug in and take the bike up and down the street a bit. I'll let you guys know when I hear back from Chuck about the VIN tag.
Also, you may want to try a different Tag office. Some are a little easier to work with than others.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #52

Lester, I can't go to another tag office. In GA you have to go to the tag office of the county you live in. There's only one here in Carroll county. I just hate that there are this many hoops to jump through. I feel kind of like a one man circus act trying to get this bike on the road (mostly) legally...

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Yes sir, let us GA boys know. And others in states with challenged DMV employees.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #54

Can you "sell" it to a buddy in another county then see if they can register it. Then transfer it to you.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #55

Pistolclass, I put in an order with a guy who manufactures VIN tags. It was $35 to get two of them made up. They should be coming in the mail in the next couple of days. If that doesn't pan out, I'm not really sure what the next step will be. It would be much easier to hunt down a scrap bike off of Craigslist.com and title that, then hang the tag on the Hawk. I just wish the DMV wasn't so hard to do business with. I'm going to have to travel to North Carolina for work tomorrow. I'll be gone for a week, so the VIN sticker should be waiting on me when I get back. I'll get that put on the steering head, and go get the sheriff's department to verify it's there. Hopefully with the paperwork sorted, they won't give me any more headaches. I'll keep everyone updated, I'm really enjoying the sense of community emerging with me on this forum. Thanks everyone!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #56

Emerikol,
I live in SC 39 miles from Augusta, not far off the interstate. If that VIN tag doesn't work. "Sell" me the bike and I'll see if I can get it titled here. Then I'll sell it back to ya. Let me know I would be glad to help.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #57

One of those "sale price: $1.00" deals
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #58

Quote:
One of those "sale price: $1.00" deals
Oh yeah China bikes are cheap
Hey it could help me too, I would be able to see if I could register a Hawk. Then if so I'll buy one instead of a Brozz.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:41 AM   #59

Back in Carrollton at the end of the week

We're just finishing up here in North Carolina, and if everything goes well I'll be back home in enough time to get the bike's shiny new VIN tag inspected and try my luck again at the DMV on Friday. LetsRide, thanks for the offer to turn the bike around and see about an out of state registry. I really appreciate it. I'm familiar with where Leesville is, I see the signs for it on my way to Aiken when I have to head out that way. The missus confirmed the new VIN tags made it to the house, so with a quick inspection to make sure all the data is correct and a few minutes to slap it on the bike, I hope to be in business. If the weather holds over the weekend (being in a severe drought does mean nice riding weather), maybe I can take the bike out for a nice long ride. If everything goes well at the tag office I'll go ahead and get the new exhaust installed, and that will complete the list of mods to the bike. It's just a waiting game to finish up business here and then head back home. I'll keep posting as it unfolds.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #60

Quote:
...being in a severe drought does mean nice riding weather
You're a glass-half-full kind of guy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Tags
georgia, hawk, upgrades