Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #16

An update on the TK carb that is on the Zong Sierra, and on the Yamaha TW200:

Besides AliExpress, the carb is also available on Taobao at a slightly lower price.

It's about $70 USD, then add $15 shipping and 10% agent's fee, if you use one.

The total cost being about $93 to $94 USD.

Besides being less money than AliExpress, The Taobao Agent accepts PayPal.

The downside is there are more steps involved in making a Taobao purchase, including setting up the Chrome web browser to translate Chinese to English.

So AliExpress is $20 more, but easier to use.

My interest is that the most often asked questions on the TW200 Forum are about carburetor problems, and replacements.

And although the Mikuni VM26 clones can be made to work on the TW200s, it is not a direct bolt-on replacement.

A $114 USD, or less, bolt-on replacement would be a welcomed alternative to the $275 USD Yamaha supplied carburetor.

jb

Old 03-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #17

JB,

The Taobao price you quoted only includes shipping to the Taobao agent. You also need to pay the international shipping to your home country.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
I have had good luck with my orders from Aliexpress. Delivery time has been about 2 weeks.

The only concern I had was they don't take PayPal, so had to give my credit card number.

I ordered one of the TK carbs, too.

jb
You are going to like the Teikei MV28 carburetor. The Teikei carb only uses one throttle cable. This is the only significant difference between it, and the TW200 carburetor.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You are going to like the Teikei MV28 carburetor. The Teikei carb only uses one throttle cable. This is the only significant difference between it, and the TW200 carburetor.
Thanks, Spud. I examined all the photos of the carb on AliExpress before I ordered.

The only external differences I could see from the TW CV carb was the throttle cable holder, and the knob on the choke appeared different.

I must admit that purchasing the carb is due to an unreasonable obsession with the TW carbs.

I have 2 of the TW CV carbs and 2 of the old slide carbs, plus 3 Chinese Mikuni clone carbs (internally they are not identical).

I've been experimenting on the TW for the past 10years.

Most would think this a waste of time, but it keeps me entertained in my retirement.

jb

Old 03-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
JB,

The Taobao price you quoted only includes shipping to the Taobao agent. You also need to pay the international shipping to your home country.
That makes the AliExpress choice even more desirable.

jb

Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 AM   #21

Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Just an update on my end, I received my new carb from Aliexpress about three weeks after I placed the order (Central Texas Area), which wasn't too bad I supose. I bought for the $115 with free shipping, super easy process.

Even before that, I ordered the VM26 Clone off ebay for about 40 bucks (Place Link). But, as the pictures of the Yellow tw-200 you must make alternations with me being in the middle of a semester did not have time to do so. I've returned the item (recommend that seller, easy returns).

I actually took the easy way out and had the local motorcycle shop give it a once over and put the carb on for me. Great service, took him a day to do the swap and bam! My 2006 Zong 200 was alive again, and if not put best by my mechanic:

"I can't believe I am saying this but, It's ready and running really good surprisingly. Like, really dude all we did was put the carb on with attachments and it's running."

Phil's a funny guy, but he was surprised by the power of a Zong!
He only charged me for one hour to replace the carb just incase someone else would wonder what a mechanic would charge. His shop rate is also $80 bucks. However I did have him knock off a few things off Spud's list of mod's already!

(Another HUGE shout out to SpudRider--Truly the GOAT!)

Previous to purchasing this bike, I've been on a array of bike's. From my 1993 Sporty to a cbr600, street glide, nighthawk's and whatever else my friends have. This bike was by far the funnest bike I have ever been on. It handles exceptionally well! Being a 200cc it actually wasn't terrible with acceleration in the city, and even on Highway frontage roads. I was having a blast for the short time I had to ride it.

In conclusion, I am excited to see what adventures my Zong lies ahead. It's amazing what $375 purchase price and $200 bucks for a carb and install can do. A really awesome motorcycle that was brilliantly engineered. Next, step is to get the bonded title. I have done this a few times, would there be any interest for me to put a thread on my process thus far?

Thanks guys,
I hope this makes sense to y'all!
Good Day from Texas!

Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #22

Good for you, Rado.

Please do start a thread on securing a bonded title in our Off Topic/General Discussion Forum.

http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
Hey guys,

Just an update on my end, I received my new carb from Aliexpress about three weeks after I placed the order (Central Texas Area), which wasn't too bad I supose. I bought for the $115 with free shipping, super easy process........!
I received my carb as well, but have a few questions.

Is this carb a China clone of a Teikei carb?

If so, it is very nicely cast and machined.

I am also puzzled by the lack of an "enricher/choke" knob.

The TK carb on the TW 200 has a plunger push-pull type of enricher.

From what I read in Spud's Sierra maintenance section, there is supposed to be a cable and lever that attached to the enricher, but I cannot find a picture of it.

And cannot see how a cable is supposed to connect to what looks like a slottled screw.

Any assistance would be appreciated...before I mess up the new carb...

jb

Old 04-14-2016, 01:24 AM   #24

Quote:
I received my carb as well, but have a few questions.

Is this carb a China clone of a Teikei carb?

If so, it is very nicely cast and machined...
I don't know if it is a clone, but it looks exactly like the Teikei carburetor on my Zongshen Sierra 200.

Quote:
...I am also puzzled by the lack of an "enricher/choke" knob.

The TK carb on the TW 200 has a plunger push-pull type of enricher.

From what I read in Spud's Sierra maintenance section, there is supposed to be a cable and lever that attached to the enricher, but I cannot find a picture of it.

And cannot see how a cable is supposed to connect to what looks like a slottled screw.

Any assistance would be appreciated...before I mess up the new carb...

jb
Yes, the Zongshen version of the Teikei carb employs a lever and cable to actuate the fuel enrichener. The enrichener cable attaches to this Teikei carburetor the same way it does for my Honda XR650L. If you had the cable, you would understand how it attaches. However, I think you can substitute a plunger, and I think that is the easiest option for you to follow with your TW200 bike.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #25

Quote:
...Is this carb a China clone of a Teikei carb...
Genuine Sierra parts = jv "PTK" http://www.ptk.cn/article.php?a=show&aid=1&mpid=123 Founded in 1994 by CN: Jianshe/Dajiang | JP: Yamaha/Teiken/Aisan Industry http://www.aisan-ind.co.jp/company/asia.html

Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #26

Thanks Spud and HB.

I think I have it figured out.

After removing the parts for the remote enricher mechanism, the onboard enricher from the Yamaha TW200 TK carb screws in, and fits perfectly.

As for the new carb being Chinese, it is, but it's not really a clone.

From the Teikei Japan website:

1994: "Entered into a contract with Yamaha Motor Co.,LTD.regarding establishing a joint venture corporation for production and sales of two-wheeled vehicle carburetors in China."

2005: "Established TK Carburettor(Ningbo)Co.,Ltd.in Ningbo,Zhejiang,China"

So it is a genuine TK carburetor....made in China.

And put in Zongshen packaging:

jb

Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Spud and HB.

I think I have it figured out.

After removing the parts for the remote enricher mechanism, the onboard enricher from the Yamaha TW200 TK carb screws in, and fits perfectly...
You're welcome. I was pretty sure the the Yamaha 'choke' plunger would screw in perfectly.

Congratulations; you now have a genuine Chinese carburetor, and not a copy of something else.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220