Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #16

They just called and told me it was out of stock but that they had the sport bike...whatever that is. I canceled the order. This after I received email last night that said...

"Your order from Best Price ATVs has been loaded on the truck for delivery!"

I shall try somewhere else.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #17

That really sucks. I can't believe they'd say it's on the way and the out of stock. These guys need to stay on the "do not buy from" list.

I hope they haven't charged your card yet, it can take up to week to get the credit back on it.

12/25 added: Now I get to see what their warranty service is like! The gearbox broke on my son's new 150 ATV. Lasted all of five minutes! See my post in the Parts Wanted Section for pictures.

I think I can just weld the gears and live without reverse if they can't find the parts.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #18

Well I talked to them today and they said they had the reverse gear box on hand and would send it out. We'll see. I would be very pleased if it turns out to be true. The ATV is very nice, other than the problem with gear box, which I believe was due to a manufacturing defect and not the fault of the reseller.

The assembly went well, the battery was already charged and the idle was set correctly, so no problems out of the box. The order and delivery process was smooth and timely.

The were pretty easy to get on phone, considering it was the day after Christmas and they were probably very busy with people, like me, who purchased ATVs and bikes as gifts.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_e
Don't shift while still moving! I blew up this gear box the first 5 minutes of riding.

That's right... Do Not Ever shift while The Quad is moving from Forward to Reverse... On any Quad.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 12-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #20

I must have been rolling just a little bit. I don't recall exactly what I was doing, I wasn't trying to shift on the fly. I was backing out of some snow, then went forward to try it again when it broke. I don't know if I had my hand on the brake or not. It must have been rolling backward when I put it in forward. It didn't make any noise or anything, it just shattered when I started going forward again.

I'm not sure if I'll even hook the shifter up again when I get it fixed for my son. There needs to be a way to ensure you're completely stopped before moving the shifter.

I'm sort of wondering why the dealer didn't give me a hard time about replacing it. I found, when searching for parts, that a couple of dealers don't even warranty this type of damage. It makes me think that they're just paying lip service and don't plan on sending anything, as others have experienced.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_e
I must have been rolling just a little bit. I don't recall exactly what I was doing, I wasn't trying to shift on the fly. I was backing out of some snow, then went forward to try it again when it broke. I don't know if I had my hand on the brake or not. It must have been rolling backward when I put it in forward.. It didn't make any noise or anything, it just shattered when I started going forward again.

I'm not sure if I'll even hook the shifter up again when I get it fixed for my son. There needs to be a way to ensure you're completely stopped before moving the shifter.

I'm sort of wondering why the dealer didn't give me a hard time about replacing it. I found, when searching for parts, that a couple of dealers don't even warranty this type of damage. It makes me think that they're just paying lip service and don't plan on sending anything, as others have experienced.
First of all being Stopped is being Stopped Completely! How can you not know if you where not completely Stopped? This isn't Rocket Science. When you drive a car do you just shift it from drive to reverse without stopping, or while on a roll? No you'll destroy the transmission! If the vehicle is stopped... it's stopped. It's not moving at all.

Most Dealers will not Warranty these transmissions due to this problem... people not being completely stopped. Your "Lip Service" comment is due to the fact that you don't understand that if you shift a quad from forward to reverse or viceversa it is considered Abuse, Period. The other fact is there have been no problems with this style of Reverse Gear Box at all ...Unless the shifter is moved while the quad is rolling Or the gear oil has not been checked to be full and changed.

From your pictures it is apparent that you shifted while the quad was moving, that is what broke the shift fork and jammed the gears to make those break. I have seen all kinds of abuse in 30+ years of working in the Powersports & Automotive industry. Being that yes I'm ASE Certified, I was also trained to be able to diagnose abuse of parts.

Did you change the gear oil before riding? Did you change the engine oil before riding? Because if you didn't your going to have more troubles... The oils in both are just storage oils and not supposed to be run in the vehicle.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #22

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. However, it did break pretty easy. Lesson learned -- come to a complete stop before shifting. I still wonder if they plan to send me a gear box since this this type of damage is usually caused by abuse. That's what I meant when I said they're just paying lip service. Another dealer, such as yourself, would ask for an explanation before replacing a reverse gear box for free. Although they told me what I wanted to hear, "No problem, we'll send you a new one", I'm skeptical.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #23

Quote:
I still wonder if they plan to send me a gear box since this this type of damage is usually caused by abuse. That's what I meant when I said they're just paying lip service.
Ah, Ok I got ya, And I should have read it again! My bad there. I wasn't trying to jump on you, just trying the best way to explain this in good terms, if you know what I mean and give some advise about the oils and such. I hope they do send you one! I wish you the best!