Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
My bike is now registered and insured and I just rode it. Got off it and realize the entire rear bike is bent. Now I'm very upset and stuck with a loss. Great.
CSaddict, very sorry to hear of the bent bike. Hopefully things will be resolved quickly, but it really does sound like the shipper gets to "own" your bike and buy you a new one.

Folks, CSC has been shipping their Mustang Motorcycles, their premium cruisers, and now the RX3 for the past year using this method, and there hasn't been any major issues reported up until this one. The packaging works. But clearly the shipping company or their subcontractor failed to take care when loading or moving the bike. It's unfortunate, but these things happen from time to time, and hence why insurance exists.

CSaddict - hang in there and I'm sure things will work out. CSC has phenomenal customer service (better than just about anyone) and I'm sure they'll work to make things right.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #32

CSC has been nothing but AWESOME. They are always leaving the ball in my court and letting me make the decisions. I am a very capable mechanic and feel I can straight the machine out and then install the needed items. In the end, its unfortunate but accidents happen. Just fix the issues and ride on.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #33

Quote:
CSC has been nothing but AWESOME. They are always leaving the ball in my court and letting me make the decisions. I am a very capable mechanic and feel I can straight the machine out and then install the needed items. In the end, its unfortunate but accidents happen. Just fix the issues and ride on.
Apparently not as bad as this posts make it sound. so it is repairable afterall? If given the option for a new replacement bike would you take it? Does it warrant replacement?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #34

Not that simple. Bike is already registered in my name. I already paid the taxes and spent hours at dmv. The option is to fix the bike. I build custom bikes. There is nothing that isn't repairable.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Not that simple. Bike is already registered in my name. I already paid the taxes and spent hours at dmv. The option is to fix the bike. I build custom bikes. There is nothing that isn't repairable.
No no , your ability was not my concern, just the principle of paying for and delivery of a new undamaged product. Consider if frame got punched, would you pursue a replacement? This is not a challenge, I'm just posing the question.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Dan, in the places where the bottom rail broke, it looks like the spacing of a fork lift.

Perhaps lifted and then allowed to slam to the ground.

The CSC crates are definitely poorly constructed, and they charge $150. for them.

I suggested using heavy duty, reusable pallets but received little interest.

jb
Engineering Failure analysis:
1. the lengthwise boards had notches cut in them (for lift fork clearance). This weaken the boards and created stress risers.
2. There is a center cross member in the middle of the pallet. The cross members at the front and rear of the pallet are missing. (One or both were missing on my shipment also.) This means that the pallet weight was supported in the center but the load was at the wheels resulting in a bending load at the center of the pallet. Dropping, or sudden release of the fork lift, could break the lengthwise boards.
3. Recommendation to CSC. Attach the cross members more securely.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #37

further photo analysis

Looks like there are 3 2x4 cross members on the bottom of the pallet. The right one is obscured by the strapping. The left one is broken. These were placed next to the slots, possibly for two purposes, to act as cross members and to raise the pallet up for the forks. The snapped center stringer has no slot, and did not need it due to the tapered shape of the forks. The pallet really does need those cross members at each end as our engineer friend stated, to completely eliminate any fulcrum in the center area. The package would fare much better in the extremely rare occurance of being dropped. But maybe the bike ended up not being harmed because the pallet crumpled, kind of like our cars act in a crash, the pallet absorbed the energy rather than the bike.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #38

The pallets I'm most familiar with are usually made from a hard wood such as oak. You used to see teak used in pallets from the far East. The wood shown in this thread looks like common pine or fir, what one would find at a discount lumber yard. Note the knots. Although common pine is good for compression loads like studs it's not that great at resisting bending. In this particular case it appears that a fork operator caused the damage when he subjected the pallet to more stress than it could stand. Obviously CSC has shipped many bikes on this type of pallet, with few if any problems. I'd still feel better if the pallet were made of better material. You can bet that my camera will be in hand when my bike is delivered....soon, I hope.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #39

I would agree that a bonafide hardwood needs to be used for pallets - like oak. Pine is one of the most pourous and brittle woods out there. And, the shipping company needs to also have their head handed to them - as this is unacceptable and now CSC is also inconvenienced in addition to any buyer who ends up with a damaged bike.

I am confident that CSC will come up with plan to quickly mitigate both issues. The vast majority of this is the shippers fault and I don't want CSC to think I am coming down on them. I believe that both better materials used in crating and perhaps a new shipping company can be the answer with hopefully minimal or no added hit to profit margins which I realize are already slim.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 04-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #40

My pallet was really sturdy and heavy. I don't see any issues with it. That would never be a concern for me. Bottom line is that if the shipper isn't responsible for its freight there may be a problem. CSC ships hundreds of bikes with no issues. It's just my bad luck.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #41

Wanna hear my sad story? OK.
I bought a used molding machine off Ebay located in Ankeny , IO and had it shipped to Walla Walla, WA. It got held up an hour away from WW at the rail switching yard in Pasco, Wa. Got ahold of the Yellow freight terminal there to see what was the hold up. They informed me that it had freight damage and they didn't want to hall it all the way to Walla Walla and have me refuse it because of the damage. OK. So I drove an hour to where it was to inspect it. Yup it had freight damage. Looked like it had been in a demolition derby. They had loaded it on a truck in Ankeny who hauled it to a train yard where they picked up the whole trailer full of goods and put it on the train. The machine was on a pallet and strapped down but not even any cardboard around the outside of it. I think that when the train came through the hump yard where they push the cars up on the hump hill and give them a shove, then the guy switches the tracks to send that one car over to where it hooks up with the right train by smacking into the other cars hard enough to make them couple together. My machine and what ever else was in that car broke through the truck trailer wall it hit so hard. Most all the outside sheet metal on my machine was bent up. Computer screen that controlled and ran my machine was busted clear off being held on by the cable. I didn't by extra insurance because I figured they were professionals and would be careful and do their jobs . In the end they paid me $1250 out of the $4500 I paid for it which is what the Feds holds them liable for if you don't buy any additional insurance. A few weeks later After all was settled I stopped by where the machine was and asked them what they were going to do with it now? They said we settled with you and as far as they were concerned if I hauled it off ,I would be doing them a big favor. So I did and brought it back to my shop and after a few months of playing with it, found that all damage was cosmetic and it ran and made parts just fine.
So moral of the story is stuff happens buy extra insurance and it usually seems a lot worse then it really is and our "Diamond in the rough" treasures still work like they should even though they look like #@^%*&!@#.
Give yourself a month or two and it will be sorted out and hopefully the storm will clear and you'll be having fun riding you new bike CS. And as always YMMV. rj

Old 04-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #42

Rob, that was beautiful.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #43

Quote:
I also not sure why anyone thinks CSC is to blame for this. The shipper mis handled the crate. The pallet was solid and the bike was tied down great. I'm working with CSC and am fully confident this will all be squared away.

I've yet to see another company so attentive and willing to resovle issues. I hold them in very high regard!
Glad to hear you have not soured towards CSC in this unfortunate incident. I am in the shipping and logistics industry and ship over 1000 pieces weighing 500+ pounds a month. It does NOT matter how you pack something, shipping damage is inevitable and shipping companies are plain careless sometimes especially the ones that do it for the lowest rates (which one could assume CSC contracted with to offer the free shipping) But even the best shipping company WILL damage your freight at some point. Death, taxes, and shipping damage. Part of life and frankly as Spud pointed out I'm surprised this hasnt happened yet. Kudos to CSC for taking care of you CSaddict and thanks for sharing. Good news is we'll get a double batch of pictures from you when your replacement parts/bike comes in.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #44

I'm confirming the parts list with Ryan tomorrow and hopefully I can make it new again. I took the rear bags and guards off this morning and I will attempt to twist the rear subframe back true and bolt the new stuff back on. I'm sure it will all work out.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 PM   #45

Good news. Ryan has confirmed all my replacement parts and even took really good care of me on some additional options I wanted ordered. I have never received this high level of customer service from any company in any industry. I really can't say enough of how satisfied I am so far with this process. They were very generous with me and really went the extra mile to make sure I was happy. I'll get more pics as I get this apart and back together.

Last edited by CSaddict; 04-06-2016 at 08:35 AM.